Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From another thread:

Just saw The Black Book (a.k.a. The Reign of Terror), and Scene of the Crime, both from '49 and both featuring Arlene Dahl, at the Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Enjoyed the two of them, although I'm not sure I would call either one Noir. The first, directed by Anthony Mann, filmed by John Alton and released by Eagle-Lion, dealt with the French Reign of Terror, and the end of Robespierre (played very well by Richard Basehart). It was "interesting," to say the least, to see Charles McGraw in the role of a French Hussar; some reviewer referred to McGraw, with his scraggly beard and longish hair, as looking like the leader of a French biker gang. The actor who stole all the scenes he was in, though, was Arnold Moss as Fouche'. He had a natural, almost flippant style that was unique for the time, and is almost a dead ringer for actor Adrien Brody. Intriguing film by Mann/Alton, although most of the actors looked Anglo-Saxon rather than French. The second film dealt with a L.A. detective (Van Johnson) out to avenge the death of another officer, with some of the scenes filmed on location, others on the MGM backlot; not remarkable, but with a great cast including Gloria DeHaven, Tom Powers, Leon Ames, Tom Drake, Anthony Caruso, Jerome Cowan, and Romo Vincent (as "Hippo"). (One interesting scene dealt with a Black shoeshine man who gives Johnson's character some information: the former, despite his race and position, is presented as an intelligent, articulate person, who refers to the detective by his first name. Kind of a rarity for the time.)

The highlight of the evening was listening to the remarks of an actor who appeared in both films (very memorably in the second), Mr. Norman Lloyd (and who sat right in front of me). He told stories of working with Orson Welles in the Mercury Theatre, with Alfred Hitchcock, and of his times as an actor, director, and producer, in the venues of stage, screen, and television. Great memory for a seasoned veteran 97 years old!

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Crime Wave is a great under appreciated film. When you get the chance, listen to the commentary on it with Eddie Muller and James Ellroy. Almost as entertaining as the film itself.

Decoy is an interesting and very strange movie! LOL

Doug

Finally did see Decoy, too, and what a strange movie it certainly was! Jean Gillie, along with Ann Savage in Detour, has my vote for the most amoral femme fatal ever...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
The highlight of the evening was listening to the remarks of an actor who appeared in both films (very memorably in the second), Mr. Norman Lloyd (and who sat right in front of me). He told stories of working with Orson Welles in the Mercury Theatre, with Alfred Hitchcock, and of his times as an actor, director, and producer, in the venues of stage, screen, and television. Great memory for a seasoned veteran 97 years old!

Listening to Norman Lloyd reminisce is a rare treat, indeed. I attended an event in his honor two or three years back, with film clips and lengthy Q&A, and those two or three hours flew by.

From another thread:

Just saw The Black Book (a.k.a. The Reign of Terror), and Scene of the Crime, both from '49 and both featuring Arlene Dahl, at the Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Enjoyed the two of them, although I'm not sure I would call either one Noir. The first, directed by Anthony Mann, filmed by John Alton and released by Eagle-Lion, dealt with the French Reign of Terror, and the end of Robespierre (played very well by Richard Basehart). It was "interesting," to say the least, to see Charles McGraw in the role of a French Hussar; some reviewer referred to McGraw, with his scraggly beard and longish hair, as looking like the leader of a French biker gang. The actor who stole all the scenes he was in, though, was Arnold Moss as Fouche'. He had a natural, almost flippant style that was unique for the time, and is almost a dead ringer for actor Adrien Brody. Intriguing film by Mann/Alton, although most of the actors looked Anglo-Saxon rather than French. The second film dealt with a L.A. detective (Van Johnson) out to avenge the death of another officer, with some of the scenes filmed on location, others on the MGM backlot; not remarkable, but with a great cast including Gloria DeHaven, Tom Powers, Leon Ames, Tom Drake, Anthony Caruso, Jerome Cowan, and Romo Vincent (as "Hippo"). (One interesting scene dealt with a Black shoeshine man who gives Johnson's character some information: the former, despite his race and position, is presented as an intelligent, articulate person, who refers to the detective by his first name. Kind of a rarity for the time.)

I am envious!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
For fans of film noir music in general, you're gonna love this if you don't already know about it; on iTunes there is an album titled "Jazz on Film Noir, Vols. 1-5" that contains 101 tracks (I've listened to some samples and compared them with real soundtrack counterparts on YouTube, they're legitimate). The music is by Henri Mancini, Alex North, Elmer Bernstein, and more. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm advertising, but for just 11 dollars, you can't go wrong with this amount of noir music.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
For fans of film noir music in general, you're gonna love this if you don't already know about it; on iTunes there is an album titled "Jazz on Film Noir, Vols. 1-5" that contains 101 tracks (I've listened to some samples and compared them with real soundtrack counterparts on YouTube, they're legitimate). The music is by Henri Mancini, Alex North, Elmer Bernstein, and more. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm advertising, but for just 11 dollars, you can't go wrong with this amount of noir music.

Thanks for a great tip. The music in some of the noir movies is so spellbinding and can really set the tone while the opening sequences begin rolling.

I'll definitely look for it.

JAVIER

Practically Family
Saw 1947's T-Men last night, I enjoyed it much!
Directed by Anthony Mann
Starring Dennis O'Keefe, Mary Meade, Alfred Ryde
220px-Tmen.jpg

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Just watched Naked Alibi (Univ.-Int., 1954), with Sterling Hayden, Gloria Grahame, and Gene Barry. Hayden plays an obsessed (Los Angeles?) detective who is one the trail of Barry's character, who appears to be an outstanding citizen, but is suspected by Hayden of being a cop-killer. Up until the mid point of the film, you don't really know who is the unhinged one is, Barry's character or Hayden's. The last third features some actual locations at the U.S.-Mexican border. Barry stands out, but there are good performances by all the leads, including Grahame; she may have been limited as an actress, but was always good as slightly-sleazy characters.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Saw 1947's T-Men last night, I enjoyed it much!
Directed by Anthony Mann
Starring Dennis O'Keefe, Mary Meade, Alfred Ryde
220px-Tmen.jpg

Great movie and cast! I loved Charles McGraw as one of the Bad Guys. If you liked this movie check out The Narrow Margin from 1952.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great movie and cast! I loved Charles McGraw as one of the Bad Guys. If you liked this movie check out The Narrow Margin from 1952.

Narrow Margin, along with Asphalt Jungle, is one of my favorite film noirs. Charles McGraw always sounds likes he's tough enough to chew concrete the way other men chew gum.

gear-guy

Practically Family
I think I agree.

I have a friend from grad school of whom I greatly despaired. She would NOT watch a black-and-white movie. No matter what it was. Wouldn't do it. Said she didn't like it.

Imagine a life with no Maltese Falcon, no Casablanca, no Captain Blood, no Birds, no Metropolis, no Seven Samurai, no It's a Wonderful Life, no Sunset Boulevard, no Psycho, no Thin Man, no To Kill a Mockingbird... no Citizen Kane, heck, no Schindler's List, either.

Pathetic.

I agree, I have always said that if a movie or print is great then you do not realize that it is in black and white. The story line takes over and that is what you pay attention to.

cigar joe

New in Town
Here is a list of the visually darkest Film Noir.

Armored Car Robbery
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Combo
Black Angel
Border Incident
The City That Never Sleeps
Crack Up
Crime Wave
Criss Cross
The Crooked Way
Crossfire
Cry Of The City
The Dark Corner
Dead Reckoning
Desperate
Detour
Double Indemnity
Edge of Doom
Fallen Angel
Force of Evil
He Walked By Night
Hollow Triumph (The Scar)
Journey Into Fear
Killers Kiss
The Killers
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
Moonrise
The Narrow Margin
Night And The City
99 River Street
The Phantom Lady
Raw Deal
Red Light
Scarlett Street
The Seventh Victim
The Strange Lives of Martha Ivers
Sudden Fear
Storm Warming
T Men
The Set Up
The Street With No Name
They Live By Night
They Made me a Fugitive
Too Late For Tears
Touch Of Evil
Where Danger Lives
Where The Sidewalk Ends
The Window

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Here is a list of the visually darkest Film Noir.

Armored Car Robbery
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Combo
Black Angel
Border Incident
The City That Never Sleeps
Crack Up
Crime Wave
Criss Cross
The Crooked Way
Crossfire
Cry Of The City
The Dark Corner
Dead Reckoning
Desperate
Detour
Double Indemnity
Edge of Doom
Fallen Angel
Force of Evil
He Walked By Night
Hollow Triumph (The Scar)
Journey Into Fear
Killers Kiss
The Killers
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
Moonrise
The Narrow Margin
Night And The City
99 River Street
The Phantom Lady
Raw Deal
Red Light
Scarlett Street
The Seventh Victim
The Strange Lives of Martha Ivers
Sudden Fear
Storm Warming
T Men
The Set Up
The Street With No Name
They Live By Night
They Made me a Fugitive
Too Late For Tears
Touch Of Evil
Where Danger Lives
Where The Sidewalk Ends
The Window

Thanks for this, I've seen many of them, but there are a few I haven't so I will look them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk