Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Shelter Cloth Dilemma

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I'm looking to replace my Carhartt, or at least a provide a suitable alternative, with one of Filson's shelter cloth offerings. I'm a huge fan of the tin cloth coats and jackets, but find that a lot of the time they are simply too much jacket for most activities other than hunting, camping, and hard ranch work. I love the Carhartt for being so supple and comfortable when thrown on (have worn down to 5 degrees), but desire a more durable all-around coat with some of the same qualities.

This would be for travel and work (and a little camping/outdoors) in the pacific northwest and the upper mid-west states, hunting in Texas and the Southern states. I'm looking at either the shelter cloth packer coat, the waterfowl uplander, and the now discontinued Outfitter Coat. I want the best option for rain protection. I like the outfitter coat because it will take the filson polartec outfitter liner, the others just take (I think) the standard wool liner, which is fine with me, I just like the option. The waterfowl uplander is cool because all the pockets, and the lining for game. The packer coat just seems to be the most weather resistant.

Also, I can get them all for around $200, so price is not an issue here, just wanted to hear y'alls' opinion and from people who have tried them.

IXL

One Too Many
One of my standard "go to" jackets is the Outfitter. It is well appointed for hunting in all types of weather, as I have the heavy-weight full liner and the medium-weight vest. The hand warmer pockets are a good height while carrying a long gun and the collar can be turned up quite high, and snapped closed for when those light Oklahoma winds pop up. The cargo pockets carry an enormous amount of ammo and gear.
I don't think it would be the greatest in a downpour but it handles anything less with aplomb. Snow ain't noth'in but a thang for this garment.
AND.....as a bonus, it smells just like those 50 year-old canvas tents we used in the Boy Scouts as a kid!

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I wear an old Filson tin cloth field jacket or blaze orange when I'm hunting. I think the field jacket is very similar to the outfitter jacket in that it has seamless shoulders. I'd recommend the Outfitter for hunting and rain protection for this reason. For rain/weather protection concerns only the Shelter Cloth Packer is great with the double coverage cape with no seams. It's got slightly better coverage than the field jacket (I'm assuming the field jacket is essentially the same fit as the outfitter in fit).

I've never used the Packer for hunting but I wonder if the cape could interfere with your draw. I actually tried it on and played with the shotgun without any issues but with a black rifle for hogs or an exotic stock it might be a different experience if you could potentially snag the cape during your draw. I have to agree with IXL that with the Outfitter / Field Jacket is very well appointed for hunting. So much so I always choose the field jacket over my packer.

If your camping requires carrying your equipment on your back or any strenuous activity I'd suggest a synthetic layering system. I think any hiking in a pacific northwest rain would be miserable with any of these jackets compared to a Gore Tex Pro Shell with a full coverage hood and decent layering system; lightweight wool or poly base layer, synthetic fleece insulating layer, etc. My only backpacking in the Pacific Northwest consisted of one day of fog and three days of light to heavy rain so I may be a little jaded:)

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I wear an old Filson tin cloth field jacket or blaze orange when I'm hunting. I think the field jacket is very similar to the outfitter jacket in that it has seamless shoulders. I'd recommend the Outfitter for hunting and rain protection for this reason. For rain/weather protection concerns only the Shelter Cloth Packer is great with the double coverage cape with no seams. It's got slightly better coverage than the field jacket (I'm assuming the field jacket is essentially the same fit as the outfitter in fit).

I've never used the Packer for hunting but I wonder if the cape could interfere with your draw. I actually tried it on and played with the shotgun without any issues but with a black rifle for hogs or an exotic stock it might be a different experience if you could potentially snag the cape during your draw. I have to agree with IXL that with the Outfitter / Field Jacket is very well appointed for hunting. So much so I always choose the field jacket over my packer.

If your camping requires carrying your equipment on your back or any strenuous activity I'd suggest a synthetic layering system. I think any hiking in a pacific northwest rain would be miserable with any of these jackets compared to a Gore Tex Pro Shell with a full coverage hood and decent layering system; lightweight wool or poly base layer, synthetic fleece insulating layer, etc. My only backpacking in the Pacific Northwest consisted of one day of fog and three days of light to heavy rain so I may be a little jaded:)

I'm leaning toward the outfitter or packer based on what you said. I agree on the field jacket points, that is why I'll never get rid of mine.
As far as hiking, I get hot with more than a thin sweater on even down into the low 20s.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I ended up grabbing the waterfowl upland coat because I was able to get it at a steal. At first I was a bit unconvinced with the seams in the arms and shoulders, but it does have extra lining inside in those areas (the "yoke"). I think it will hold up fine in foul weather, and if I'm hunting I'd probably just drape over a poncho as I do anyways (to protect the rifle). Doesn't take a liner, but that is fine since I'm in Texas and travel in the North mainly in the spring and fall. It fits better than most filson jackets too, less bulky, has good freedom of movement. The storm cuffs really help with the fit, no zipper reduces weight, has storm flap and lots of pockets.

The shelter packer coat is heavy duty, it would be my first choice for rain protection, it just is as heavy as my field jacket and I don't see me wanting to travel with it. I don't see a reason to own both the tin field jacket (which is the ultimate) and the shelter packer. I decided against the outfitter, though I think it might be the best all-around, because it is discontinued and takes it's own liners. I'm impatient, so I got what I was able to check out in person.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I exchanged the waterfowl coat for the shelter packer for a few bucks more. Forget everything I just said. The waterfowl upland is a good coat, but the packer is just simply better for my uses.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just looked at the Filson exhibit at the Dallas Safari Club show and was impressed at the Mile Marker jacket in shelter cloth that takes a Filson zip in lining. Maybe a second jacket for milder weather.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I just looked at the Filson exhibit at the Dallas Safari Club show and was impressed at the Mile Marker jacket in shelter cloth that takes a Filson zip in lining. Maybe a second jacket for milder weather.

Those definitely are worth taking a look at. I've seen the previous model, the weekender jacket, and it seemed well-made and tough enough. Didn't seem that much lighter weight than some of the shelter cloth jackets but softer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot