Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finalizing my Aero Sheene

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
I was never a big fan of the cafe collar and the bi swing back on my Aero jacket that I posted on here earlier. I reached out to Aero to see if they could change the collar to the Highwayman collar and they responded saying they would not be able to do as getting a perfect matched leather would be close to impossible. So I ended up selling that jacket just recently.

After seeing 06911's Aero Sheene , I just fell in love with the jacket and that thought it was the perfect jacket.. So I am planning on getting a very similar jacket. This is going to be a casual wear jacket as I do not ride. So I do not want it to be very fitted.

I am thinking I will be happy with a jacket in size 39 which I think will be a size 38 with slightly larger turnings (which should make it a size 39). The rest of the jacket would be 25.5 sleeve length and a 26 back length. I am also going to try out a test fit jacket from Thurston Bros just to confirm.

Still deciding on the leather between the regular FQHH and the Tumbled FQHH.

Some others things I am planning on getting

1. Just a single chest pocket on the left with a zipper in antique brass
3. 2 panel arms.
4. Plain back with no bi swings are shoulder gussets, but just a yoke like in the pictures of 06911 above.
5. An interior lining that "does not" make the jacket very warm.
6. No windflap behind the front zipper. Not sure if the Sheene has one, but just wanted to make sure.

Questions:

1. Still deciding on the regular FQHH and the Tumbled FQHH. But am leaning towards the tumbled as I like the broken in look.
2. What weight is the FQHH that Aero uses? I have some conflicting information with some saying 3oz and others saying 5oz.
3. What is a liner that I can go with that does not make the jacket very warm? Any suggestions on the color and pattern? I want to be able to wear it as much as I can.
4. What are your thoughts on the handwarmer pockets? I have realized that I do not put anything in those pockets as I do not like the bulge it creates in that area.

I understand each one of us has different tastes, but was wondering if I should be looking at anything else as this is my first custom order. In the end I want to end up with a very simple jacket that I wear for a very long time.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
mowgli222- love the look of the Sheene as well.. Both Technovox and 06911 had great pictorials.. based on a prior thread Holly from Aero said horsehide only went up to 3 oz and that's what they use. I prefer regular to tumbled but don't mind the break in .. I think the best liner for durability that isn't that warm is the cotton drill. Enjoy your new jacket!!

technovox

One Too Many
I was never a big fan of the cafe collar and the bi swing back on my Aero jacket that I posted on here earlier. I reached out to Aero to see if they could change the collar to the Highwayman collar and they responded saying they would not be able to do as getting a perfect matched leather would be close to impossible. So I ended up selling that jacket just recently.
Questions:

1. Still deciding on the regular FQHH and the Tumbled FQHH. But am leaning towards the tumbled as I like the broken in look.
2. What weight is the FQHH that Aero uses? I have some conflicting information with some saying 3oz and others saying 5oz.
3. What is a liner that I can go with that does not make the jacket very warm? Any suggestions on the color and pattern? I want to be able to wear it as much as I can.
4. What are your thoughts on the handwarmer pockets? I have realized that I do not put anything in those pockets as I do not like the bulge it creates in that area.

I understand each one of us has different tastes, but was wondering if I should be looking at anything else as this is my first custom order. In the end I want to end up with a very simple jacket that I wear for a very long time.

For the quintessential minimalist style HH jacket- essentially a cafe racer with a spread collar, and for an amazing fit, my Aero Sheene has turned out to be the perfect choice. So to answer your questions, based on my experience:
1. I've never seen the tumbled HH so I can't really comment. Mine is in the brown Aero FQHH and I like the way it has broken in.
2. I'm assuming standard Aero FQHH is in the 3 - 3.5 oz range. But Aero or Insurrection can answer that better.
3. Liner- My only regret is not ordering my Sheene in the cotton plaid lining (berry check.) The cotton drill is just not as soft and comfortable. But I believe the cotton drill will probably be cooler.
4. Handwarmer pockets- interesting question. Personally, I like them- I quite often use mine for my sunglasses/case and other personal items. My hand warmers have zippers so I don't have to worry about items falling out. And I don't find them bulging or distracting from the streamline profile.
If one were to base the design on vintage cafe racers- then there would have been the choice of either two chest pockets and no handwarmers, or two handwarmers and one chest pocket. And since you're going with one chest pocket, two handwarmers would be classic.

But the beauty of ordering a jacket at this level is that you get to define your own style based on comfort and tastes. One chest pocket without the handwarmers might be very unique...and cool.
Post some pics when you get it!

Last edited:

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
For the quintessential minimalist style HH jacket- essentially a cafe racer with a spread collar, and for an amazing fit, my Aero Sheene has turned out to be the perfect choice.

Thank you M. Love your jackets too. Also I spoke to Alan at JL to see if he has any FQHH as I was hoping I could have him work on a jacket for me. It would have come out a little less expensive than Aero and would have been a little different too. However he said that he did not have any and getting some from Horween was really difficult as most of their FQHH goes to Aero. So I am back to Aero for my jacket.

I think I will go with the classic two handwarmer pockets and one chest pocket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
3. Liner- My only regret is not ordering my Sheene in the cotton plaid lining (berry check.) The cotton drill is just not as soft and comfortable. But I believe the cotton drill will probably be cooler.

My input would be to go with cotton drill throughout. My concern with a cotton plaid lining would be durability. I just pulled out samples of both cotton drill and cotton plaid that Holly sent me awhile back. My impression is that the much tighter weave of the cotton drill will significantly outlast the cotton plaid, although other members who own jackets lined with cotton plaid might present a different point of view. The cotton drill on last two jackets (Pioneer & Mulligan) is cool, comfortable, and seems tough as nails!

zhz

Practically Family
What is different between FQHH and Tumbled FQHH? is the later has vintage look?
I think Aero uses 3.5oz leather. Standard cotton liner should do the job fine. If you don't put things in your pocket, just leave it as standard one.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
My undestanding from the pictures I have seen is that hte Tumbled hide has the creases on the leather already which makes it a little easier to break in.. Also it has less of a shine that you see on a regular FQHH.

I also got a note from Holly that the FQHH is a 3 oz leather.
What is different between FQHH and Tumbled FQHH? is the later has vintage look?
I think Aero uses 3.5oz leather. Standard cotton liner should do the job fine. If you don't put things in your pocket, just leave it as standard one.

Edward

Bartender
My input would be to go with cotton drill throughout. My concern with a cotton plaid lining would be durability. I just pulled out samples of both cotton drill and cotton plaid that Holly sent me awhile back. My impression is that the much tighter weave of the cotton drill will significantly outlast the cotton plaid, although other members who own jackets lined with cotton plaid might present a different point of view. The cotton drill on last two jackets (Pioneer & Mulligan) is cool, comfortable, and seems tough as nails!

I had the impression the tartan would hold up well enough on a lighter hide, like goat. I have my eye on the Berry for a goat jacket sometime... Weight-wise, do you reckon, based on the sample you have, it might be thick enough for a Summer-weight cap?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Ok.. Here are my almost final specifications for the Aero Sheene with Thurston Bros.

Size 38 Aero Sheene in Brown Tumbled FQHH

• Plain back with no shoulder gussets
  • With kidney panel
  • Antique Brass hardware
  • Hand warmer pockets with zippers and left chest pocket
  • Bell pulls with horse hide toggles on the hand warmer pockets and the sleeves
  • Diamond pull on the chest pocket
  • Berry Check interior with Brown cotton drill in the sleeves
  • No yoke in the back or a single pointed yoke (still debating)
  • Three panel arms or two panel arms (still debating)

Here is one picture with the fit jacket (Steerhide Aero cafe racer). I am going with 0.5" less in the sleeves, 0.25" less in the length and 0.5" on each side panel as the hem was too tight at 18.5" and I could not even zip up with my jeans on..

So the final measurements would be

Back length--25.75 inches
Sleeve length--25.5 inches
Pit-to-pit--21.5 inches
Shoulder--19.25 inches
Width of bottom hem--19 inches

Would really appreciate any suggestions or input here.

IMG_4194.jpg

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have thought that having a kidney panel and a single pointed yoke might look a bit busy on the back. I personally wouldn't do both.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If I were getting a Sheene, I'd get it as it comes and only customize lining, leather and length. The patterns by Aero are very carefully considered for balance and/or period authenticity and I trust the company to make the right aesthetic choices. Unless you have a very good reason to change the pattern I wouldn't.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
^seconded. The back on 06911s's Sheene looks gorgeous tho. And why go with a kidney panel if you won't be using the jacket for riding? The Sheene is meant to be a simple, casual jacket; a kidney panel would make it look too 'moto' IMO.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Thank you all who posted.. Any comments on the actual fit of the jacket? Do the changes in the sleeve length, back length and hem seem ok?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all who posted.. Any comments on the actual fit of the jacket? Do the changes in the sleeve length, back length and hem seem ok?

Not sure how we can comment on your choice of measurements since only you would know what lengths work for you. ;)

mendelboaz

One Too Many

The sleeves look a bit long in the fit pic, reducing the length by 0.5" seems like a good choice here. You don't wanna reduce the length too much as the sleeves will shorten with wear (wrinkles), and you don't want the sleeves riding up when you lift your arms; or at least I don't. Overall fit seems dead-on in the pic, as for body length & tightness around the waist, that's mainly a matter of preference. Some folks like their jackets tighter than others, and as for the body length: I'd think I'd go with a similar length if I were getting a Sheene. So that's fine as well :) now the hard part begins!

Peacoat

Bartender
If I were getting a Sheene, I'd get it as it comes and only customize lining, leather and length. The patterns by Aero are very carefully considered for balance and/or period authenticity and I trust the company to make the right aesthetic choices. Unless you have a very good reason to change the pattern I wouldn't.

Exactly. That's what I did with my Sheene order and the Thunder Bay as well. TB turned out great. Still waiting on the Sheene.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

I have gradually come to your exact same point of view, and for my last two jackets - a Mulligan and a Maxwell - only added an inch or so to the body and sleeve lengths. I have noticed that Aero has sourced a fantastic cotton drill material for body and sleeve linings and used that for both jackets. I even declined inside pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner