Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got a size 48 A2 that fits very well without custom ordering...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
well, I believe with thorough brushing it would equal with worn, and since it is applied on all your jacket surface uniformly... your jacket couldn't develop creases and fade pattern as the most memorable characteristic of leather jacket...

if you have a new sheet of paper and you crumpled it, creases will form because they are stiff, and so the parts that lose their stiffness first become creases, but the same paper after you rub it against each other or brush it meticulously until really soft throughout then it would be limp like fabric, it won't hold any creases.

I have this raw jeans from 20yrs ago that started its life as a heavy crunchy dark blue that jeans is totally white now and incredibly soft since it has been washed so many times, really thick yet comfy, I feel great in it, but it doesn't look like jeans anymore, just a thick cotton pants, I use it as pajama.

well, I believe with thorough brushing it would equal with worn, and since it is applied on all your jacket surface uniformly... your jacket couldn't develop creases and fade pattern as the most memorable characteristic of leather jacket...

if you have a new sheet of paper and you crumpled it, creases will form because they are stiff, and so the parts that lose their stiffness first become creases, but the same paper after you rub it against each other or brush it meticulously until really soft throughout then it would be limp like fabric, it won't hold any creases.

I have this raw jeans from 20yrs ago that started its life as a heavy crunchy dark blue that jeans is totally white now and incredibly soft since it has been washed so many times, really thick yet comfy, I feel great in it, but it doesn't look like jeans anymore, just a thick cotton pants, I use it as pajama.

With that lock the thread. That is the word of someone with correct passion and knowledge.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I will say that when my Alden shell cordovan shoes were bleeding a white residue in the sides where they were stitched, the white residue did come out with brisk brushing with a horsehair brush. Maybe a yak brush woulda worked better. I dunno ... [huh]

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yak hair brushes are ok, but I much prefer Chewbacca hair brushes -- if used properly, Chewbacca hair brushes not only soften HH, but also liquefy it.

chewbacca1-300x2351.png

thor

Call Me a Cab
Yak hair brushes are ok, but I much prefer Chewbacca hair brushes -- if used properly, Chewbacca hair brushes not only soften HH, but also liquefy it.

chewbacca1-300x2351.png
You must google "Wookie-fur brush" to find what you're after. Chewbacca is a proper name of a specific Wookie.:D

pawineguy

One Too Many
For those who enjoy a bit of nostalgia, this is how Pete started his time on TFL, his first post on his first started thread:

"Redecker Shoe Brushes
Anyone know a place to get the Yak Hair Shoe brushes in USA cheap... less than the 80 buck each price?
I want the large brushes with the handles.

Thanks, the other forums members were too busy buying new anal orfice bushings to respond."

It's the circle of life.

LouisBailie

Banned
I will say that when my Alden shell cordovan shoes were bleeding a white residue in the sides where they were stitched, the white residue did come out with brisk brushing with a horsehair brush. Maybe a yak brush woulda worked better. I dunno ... [huh]

Any shell cordovan will bleed that "white", it is the residue of the oils raising to the top of the leather when not flexed (when worn) and will buff right off.

Yak hair is the shoe brush of choice for professional shoe maintenance people, 2nd choice is goat har, for maintaining shell cordovan all over the world. I have about 20 or so pairs of boots/shoes made out of shell cordovan and use them all the time.

I like this jackets' color and raised grain....and used "One Step" to clean this one. You have to brush the leather after using it also...

moto_1115.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Any shell cordovan will bleed that "white", it is the residue of the oils raising to the top of the leather when not flexed (when worn) and will buff right off.

Yak hair is the shoe brush of choice for professional shoe maintenance people, 2nd choice is goat har, for maintaining shell cordovan all over the world. I have about 20 or so pairs of boots/shoes made out of shell cordovan and use them all the time.

Yep, I knew that the white residue was a by product of the oils/waxes in the Color 8 Shell Cordovan. Still don't think I would want to spend 80 bucks plus shipping on a yak brush though. [huh]

Yep, I knew that the white residue was a by product of the oils/waxes in the Color 8 Shell Cordovan. Still don't think I would want to spend 80 bucks plus shipping on a yak brush though. [huh]

Well then..just email and make an offer on the brush. Inform them that they won't get your business unless they cut at least 20% off the price..!! Be bold..and stand up for your 'rights',Fanch (you dumbell ;) ) :D :p

Stand By

One Too Many
Good Wear was to tight
Aero had too short of sleeves and to tight
Alexander leather way to tight
Lost Worlds to tight very short
Orchard/Branded very loose, sleeves short
GB real sloppy fit
Avirex never mind
Cockpit way too big
US Wings pass
Schott and Vanson fit nice but not real accurate in details

Finally, Eastman Leather Company WarHorse horsehide Rough Wear that fits nice not too tight, great sleeve length (not too short perfect for 6'1" 16.5 34 shirt size) and my stuff was sewn on with no problems..

(This is why the previous ELC new jacket was damaged by customs, so I could buy NIB used, and saved more than 50% delivered.......:cool:

View attachment 25407
View attachment 25408
View attachment 25409
View attachment 25410

I noticed the placement of the CBI patch on the right sleeve of your A2 and the AAF on the left sleeve - and thought it looked irregular to me.
So I've just checked and looked through my copy of "Art of the Flight Jacket" (Jon Maguire & John Conway) and noted that, of the 16 examples of vintage A2s from the CBI Theatre of Operations that have CBI patches, 15 of them have the CBI patch on the left sleeve and the AAF patch on the right .
Was that something you asked for?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran