Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather Eric 1,8mm

jeo

One Too Many
He wanted to upgrade his existing jacket from 1.3mm to 1.8mm, which is why I warned that the 2mm and 1.8mm marked jackets seemed to also be about 1.3mm. After all it would be pretty disappointing if he sold his jacket at a loss, bought a 1.8mm labeled one at a markup, then found that it was the same leather as the one he sold.
Not going to comment on the actual weight/thickness.

However, I had in hand, wore and spent significant time (at the same time) with both the leather that was advertised as 1.8mm - 2mm and the leather that was advertised as 1.1 mm - 1.3 mm. There was a massive difference. The "2mm" is thick. There are no if ands or buts about it. Much thicker than the 1.1 - 1.3.

Now whether or not the leather advertised as 1.8 mm - 2 mm is actually more like 1.6 mm and the leather advertised as 1.1 mm - 1.3 mm is more like 0.9 mm is a different story.

I loved @Canuck Panda's comment on the other thread on pretty much the same topic about the pot of gold!!

There's no pot of gold in it for me, but if people REALLY want, I have a buddy that owns both the Leon the No Star (advertised as 1.8 - 2) and the Leon Custom (advertised as 1.1 - 1.3). The gusset at the cuff is raw, no liner. I can buy a skin fold caliper and put this to rest for good.

I understand why people would harp on that. First and foremost, we're all nerds when it comes to this shit and we want to know true and exact details. But probably more importantly, people want to know if they are being deceived. I get it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's kind of like the bespoke thing, it's close enough. Does it really matter if its 1.8 or 1.6?? No, they're both thick!! At least this time it wasn't called fraud, only a marketing gimmick.

Also, as Canuck said, there will always be a variance with leather, even on the same jacket. So will we be actually learning anything if I test the 1.8 - 2 and it turns out 1.6 or 1.7?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@jeo my point was less to harp on the specifics of the thickness, more to lay out that:

1) FCL had a ‘heavy’ and ‘light’ option (ultimately what those numbers stood for) for these jackets a few years back
2) now they have one option, which is on the stiffer side of midweight

therefore

OP’s jacket is probably not all that far off from the heavier model from a few years ago and he’d basically be dealing with margin of error at that point. As you said yourself, there’s variability between hides.

As I put it, he’d be in a position of losing money on his existing jacket, paying a premium on the replacement, very likely ending up with pretty much what he already had.

Aloysius

Fair enough. You described the new hide as stiff 1.3-1.5mm leather.

The old material felt quite a bit like my stiff 1.6mm cowhide and 1.5mm horsehide jackets, so I thought they’d land in the same ballpark.

jeo

One Too Many
IMG-8909.jpg

Yes, its advertised as 1.3 -1.5 (that's the variance I guess) and this Shinki is stiffer than the older leather for sure.

Despite that, I'm telling you and everyone else that the older heavyweight hide is thick stuff man. It's actually soft, but its super thick. Much thicker than both the older lightweight and this newer lighter weight Shinki.

(I haven't posted this yet because I like to live with my stuff for a while before I show it but didn't want anyone to think that I'm bullshitting)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 506423

Yes, its advertised as 1.3 -1.5 (that's the variance I guess) and this Shinki is stiffer than the older leather for sure.

Despite that, I'm telling you and everyone else that the older heavyweight hide is thick stuff man. It's actually soft, but its super thick. Much thicker than both the older lightweight and this newer lighter weight Shinki.

(I haven't posted this yet because I like to live with my stuff for a while before I show it but didn't want anyone to think that I'm bullshitting)
Yes, it looks thick as hell on pictures. Big wide folds in the leather. I don't know if it is 1.6, 1.8, or 2 mm, but looks thick. If I was after this early FCL jacket and found one, I would just buy it and live with the consequences.

Reactions: jeo

Taras

New in Town
For sale: my FCL Leon custom size 44

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3632.jpeg
    IMG_3632.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    863.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3633.jpeg
    IMG_3633.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 103

Aloysius

like everything about this jacket, but it's a little tight in the chest for me

From the Fine Creeks I’ve handled, that’s deliberate. (Tight chest/shoulders plus a flaring hem is popular in some fashion subcultures there, though I think it’s losing ground to the rise of drop shoulders.)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't go for Fine Creek even if their descriptions were accurate. If you want thicker leather, go for Lost Worlds or Vanson. If you just want good quality leather, you have tons of options from brands who make better fitting jackets than Fine Creek
...and people said this comment was out of place... hmmm...

In all seriousness, as @Aloysius said, Fine Creek does tight chests and flared hips with usually small shoulders. This doesn't fit a lot of people and flatters almost nobody.

Taras

New in Town
The Eric is a nice looking jacket, though. It would have been nice to have it in thick leather. Too bad it appears to be an urban myth.
Because the manufacturer said so it must be true?

Lucky strike told us their cigarettes are good for us.

View attachment 505229
I appeal to everyone who wrote here that such a jacket does not exist

View attachment 505229

View attachment 505229
I appeal to everyone who wrote here that Eric 1,8 mm does not exist! Here is:

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3792.jpeg
    IMG_3792.jpeg
    834.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3790.jpeg
    IMG_3790.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 65

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I appeal to everyone who wrote here that such a jacket does not exist

I appeal to everyone who wrote here that Eric 1,8 mm does not exist! Here is:
You measured the thickness and the gauge gave you 1.8mm?

83C70300-3E54-4365-9CB9-A95746C7F985.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
They are thick. But they also use skiving technique. Not here to argue techniques. Your prefer method is best. But thats also why wherever you grab these jackets it feels the same thickness. This may lead you to think they’re not thick but they are. Spend a few hundred bucks for those Italian measuring calipers with long arms and take the thickness measurement at the centre of the hide and you will see. My calliper is made in China Amazon for 20 dollars, it can only measure one inch in. I don’t want to spend the money to buy an Italian caliper with long arm. If anyone wants to send me one (expensive Italian caliper) for free I will not object. In the name of science.

Peacoat

Bartender
As someone who has done rudimentary machinist work, I know the difference between calipers and micrometers. I have one of each in my machinist chest next to my 2nd workbench in my tractor shed.

The Italian micrometer posted by @Marc mndt above is the only way to get an accurate measurement of a piece of leather that has become part of a jacket. Why am I not surprised he has a quality instrument such as that? Now I want one!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The Italian micrometer posted by @Marc mndt above is the only way to get an accurate measurement of a piece of leather that has become part of a jacket. Why am I not surprised he has a quality instrument such as that? Now I want one!
Not mine. That's regius' micrometer measuring the thickness of the Hermann Oak leather he used for the amazing aviator he made for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou