Fine Creek Leather

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ksozay, Mar 5, 2019.

1. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

It is not getting any easier here in Canada riding. Dirty bastards everywhere with zero consideration for riders.

Jin431 and red devil like this.
  2. willyto

willyto One Too Many

3. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

The worst offenders are the SUV owners looking at their phones and not the road

sweetfights, Jin431 and roadking04 like this.
  4. Merv

Merv Familiar Face

The eternal search for the perfect jacket!

Superfluous likes this.
  5. Bender

Bender Familiar Face

Yeah, I love the whole uber-high-end bespoke leather jacket company thing, but I wouldn’t ride any of mine. Vanson for me, all the way. They are actually built for being on the bike, not merely looking like you might be on a bike... In 1963... while looking intensely into the distance.

Speaking of sensible modern bike jackets, and bringing back the earlier debate about brand/build quality... I have to say, my current Vanson is every bit as nicely constructed as my Lewis Leathers.

I think it just goes to show that it’s perhaps less about the brand, and more about the particular people responsible for building the jacket having a good day or a bad one.

My Vanson is actually a special build for Union Garage, so maybe they pulled out all the stops on these or something... but it’s gorgeous. Stitching is immaculate, panels are absolutely symmetrical and perfectly matched... The leather is even a little nicer than the standard Vanson Competition Weight hide. I mean, it’s definitely the same stuff, it just appears they went through their hides until they found a few particularly nice ones for these jackets. Zero imperfections, and a nice even grain is present (most of the Comp Weight doesn’t have very visible grain).

It’s a nice jacket off the bike without the armor in, as well. I mean, definitely a purpose-built bike jacket with armor pockets, so it’s never going to have the ultra slim silhouette of, say, a Board Racer... but it’s not bad.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. BloodEagle

BloodEagle Familiar Face

Here's a couple more pics of my FCL Leon Custom for any interested parties. It's a size 44, and I'm 6'2, and I feel it fits really well, and as a bonus is supremely comfortable. The measurements as per the websites don't tell the full story with this particular jacket - I was sure it would be too long in the body or the arms too short, but it turns out to be neither (for my tastes at least). I dont ride a bike or any of that stuff and Im mostly concerned with it looking and feeling good, so whether this would fit the bill for a motorcyclist I have no idea. Apologies for the poor quality of some of the pics, but hopefully they give the general idea. IMG_20210113_095559.jpg IMG_20210113_095650.jpg IMG_20210113_100016.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Rickenbacker 4001 and Gibson Thunderbird, a man of taste i see.

dannyk, tmitchell59 and BloodEagle like this.
  8. BloodEagle

BloodEagle Familiar Face

Ha well spotted, although what looks a lot like a Thunderbird is actually a very similarly shaped Dunable R2. I do love that Rickenbacker though!

Carlos840 likes this.
  9. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

tmitchell59 and Tom71 like this.
  10. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

I’ve been saying this a lot lately it seems ha. But totally agree. Most Vanson’s can and should be ridden on a bike. But that aside Vanson to me is the best dollar value company. So don’t get me wrong other companies make beautiful stuff. Fantastic stuff. Stuff I drool over. What I mean is when you buy a Vanson they are for the money exactly what you expect and want. The value of the jacket equals the amount you’re spending. At a certain point to me the extra dollars start having a diminishing return on the actual jacket. Jackets are worth whatever people are willing to spend. I’m not going to debate costs. A ton goes into that calculation and I wouldn’t ever judge the companies choice to charge that; nor whether someone should buy a 200 dollar jacket or a 2,500 jacket. I just find the price point of Vanson in that 500-1,000 dollar range to be the best for that price range. That’s for brand new. Cause their could be jackets new that cost 3,000 but being sold used for 800. In that price range direct from the maker or retailer is what I mean. You know exactly what you’re going to get. You know exactly what to expect. Ok like 99% of the time haha. Every maker has off days, a flawed stitch or bad batch of leather etc... everyone does at some point. I just have yet to find a jacket maker that so consistently gives me exactly what I’m expecting based on what I pay. To me they just always give me what I think it is I’m getting for tang cost. In any case that’s me and I am fully acknowledging that is my opinion and based on my buying/selling/trading history. I may have just been lucky with all my Vanson history. And this thread was originally about FCL so I’m going to leave my comment here and move on.