Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather

Bender

One of the Regulars
I don't like that one much altho its better zipped. has a puffy pregnant look to it.

I feel like fine creek gets unfairly hated on for some goofy patterns. schott/vanson etc all have horrendously ugly patterns too but we focus on the few we like and ignore the others.
But Schott and Vanson cost pennies on the Fine Creek dollar. I think the comparison is kind of fair, no?..

You don't see that stuff out of TRM or TFH...

Just an opinion

cbez

One Too Many
But Schott and Vanson cost pennies on the Fine Creek dollar. I think the comparison is kind of fair, no?..

You don't see that stuff out of TRM or TFH...

Just an opinion
Hardly. A lot of the price difference is because Fine Creek is imported and sold thru distributors who pay tariffs and take a cut on top. Same as other Japanese jackets.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everything Japanese is less expensive now for dollar buyers due to the weak yen, but even with recent increases we’re still talking two Schotts or three Vansons.

cbez

One Too Many
unfortunately the importers arent kind enough to pass that on to us. still not as bad as $2600 RMC.

Bender

One of the Regulars
Hardly. A lot of the price difference is because Fine Creek is imported and sold thru distributors who pay tariffs and take a cut on top. Same as other Japanese jackets.
Fine Creek jackets have a median price of $1950 at my local dealer. The RMC I just bought cost exactly that amount. A TFH I bought a month or so ago cost $2000. You won't get an argument from me that distributers drive up the cost of Japanese jackets. But at least in the case of RMC and TFH, I know that mark-up is in the neighborhood of $400-$500 USD.

If FCL jackets have an initial MSRP in line with that of Schott or Vanson, and yet end up priced like RMC and TFH, then they need to rethink their distributors... Because they are being forced to compete in the American/European market with jackets of a much higher initial price-point... with the patterns to prove it.

cbez

One Too Many
Obviously the base price is higher as well, just that a lot of it is the import vs domestic factor. On average they are working with nicer leathers too. And obv they are competing here since they were content to sell JDM but demand pushed them into coming here as well.

cbez

One Too Many
Looks like the Anne pattern has a good amount of taper.

1000019486.jpg
1000019485.jpg

belopsky

A-List Customer
I recently received a FCL Jack in a 42, and while it fit me in the chest, it was too big around the waist and ultimately I am returning it.

I'm interested in the Harris, actually, just not sure on if it's got more taper..

But I would also take, and probably not to derail this thread, suggestions for d pocket jackets that I can buy new for the same $2000 or less in the United States. Dm me

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner