Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather

leonnostar

New in Town
It means that you're not buying FCL to get a deal. Price tag is why you're buying it.

I doubt anyone bought a FCL jacket just because it was expensive. I certainly didn't. Quality jackets are expensive in general (over 500 euros is what I consider expensive, and yes FLC is very, very expensive), unless you find a vintage one and it fits you by luck. Sadly I've had very bad luck with vintage jackets.
As for FCL, why I bought it was the quality of the hide, how it ages from what I saw, the stitching & mostly TIGHT fit, it just look exactly like I've wanted for years.

The problem I have with brands like Schott and Lewis Leathers and other legendary brands which I absolutely love is the fit for me. Those jackets aren't made for slim and tall people like me. There is always a problem, be it the sleeves, the waist, the shoulders, the profile view, the hide.. it just never completely fits for the designs I love in those brands anyway, they just don't fit me, they aren't what I expect, and it drove me crazy.

Unless I go custom and even so I don't know how tight it can be, I have basically given up on those brands. Lewis Leathers Lightning 391 is one of my favorite models out of all jackets I've seen in my life, I've tried several sizes and was very disappointed, there was a problem with each size. The biggest problem is: it's too short, it stops above the belt, and as such the proportions look a bit dated to me because it's a bit too large + falls too short on my waist. Collar looks too big too, the proportions just looked off on me. It's crazy how it can look nice on some people but a complete failure on me. Not what I wanted. Plus I hate the logo being there. Also not convinced by any of the hides I saw, it's clearly not on par with FCL.

I have contemplated on buying a Lewis Leathers Lightning custom at some point, and to some extent I still do, but that brings us back to the price tag, if I do go for a custom, it will cost me almost as much as a FCL jacket since I don't live in England and that I guess I will have to make the trip at least twice. And even so, I still don't know if it will be up to my standards, fit & hide wise.

So don't diminish the appeal of brands like Fine Creek. For me, finding this jacket was just amazing. Sure it's expensive, but I've not tried better, for me, for my tastes. I can understand why you would criticize them though, I think your main problem is FCL & other japanese brands copying models from legendary brands without bringing their own stuff. I really don't mind it as much.
Almost nothing is original, it's always a copy of something to some extent. It's true in almost everything. Look at movies, music, and so on.
Plus, if you do try the original like I have, sometimes you just end up disappointed because it doesn't fit.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem I have with brands like Schott and Lewis Leathers and other legendary brands which I absolutely love is the fit for me. Those jackets aren't made for slim and tall people like me.
That is not quite true. At least at Lewis Leathers and Aero you can get good jackets for our physique. I have both and I think both fit well.
Buying off the rack is almost hopeless for us. At least if you have certain ideas about the fit.
Other manufacturers, such as Aero, also have a good selection of different leathers. Other manufacturers may have even more. And I think Shinki is overrated. It can be nice, but it doesn't necessarily have to be better than others (horween, badlassi, ...). At least that's my opinion.
If you are concerned about the quality of the manufacturing, I would rather consider Field Leathers. But they have super long waiting times.

leonnostar

New in Town
That is not quite true. At least at Lewis Leathers and Aero you can get good jackets for our physique. I have both and I think both fit well.
Buying off the rack is almost hopeless for us. At least if you have certain ideas about the fit.
Other manufacturers, such as Aero, also have a good selection of different leathers. Other manufacturers may have even more. And I think Shinki is overrated. It can be nice, but it doesn't necessarily have to be better than others (horween, badlassi, ...). At least that's my opinion.
If you are concerned about the quality of the manufacturing, I would rather consider Field Leathers. But they have super long waiting times

You are much more muscular than I am sir haha. I'm not as large in shoulders and muscled as you are, you clearly fill your jackets perfectly.
May I ask where you purchased your different belts? They're incredible.

MrProper

You are much more muscular than I am sir haha. I'm not as large in shoulders and muscled as you are, you clearly fill your jackets perfectly.
May I ask where you purchased your different belts? They're incredible.
Haha, I think that is deceptive. Seen on my 196 cm height I am narrow. And if it fits on top, I can wrap it around my stomach twice.
The reason it looks fitted is because the jackets are made for my measurements.
This is beneficial for any body shape.

The belts are from Obbi good label, bought at Iron heard. @Tom71 put me on it and I then bought several colors. The belt with the rings is an old Ralph Lauren belt, which I unfortunately never found again. It is already pretty worn out.

leonnostar

New in Town
Haha, I think that is deceptive. Seen on my 196 cm height I am narrow. And if it fits on top, I can wrap it around my stomach twice.
The reason it looks fitted is because the jackets are made for my measurements.
This is beneficial for any body shape.

The belts are from Obbi good label, bought at Iron heard. @Tom71 put me on it and I then bought several colors. The belt with the rings is an old Ralph Lauren belt, which I unfortunately never found again. It is already pretty worn out.
Thank you SO MUCH for this Belt advice, and thanks to Tom71 then! It's so hard finding this kind of design it's crazy. I was lucky to find a couple of japanese belts a bit like this on some obscure japanese website (like the one I'm wearing on the pictures I showed previous page) but I'm going to shop from Obbi Good now, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Oh so you have your jackets made on measure everytime? Is it from Aero or Lewis? Other brand? I especially like the last one (that you were on several pics) you're wearing, always like these kind of designs with the D pocket.
I will definitely try something like you have at some point, you jackets really fit perfectly, it's inspirationnal. Still you are more muscular based on the pic with your sweatshirt ahah, I still have some work to do to get to your level.

Thanks your great advices sir, it's much appreciated and I guess some people not registered on this board will also find this very helpful.

MrProper

Thank you very much. I am glad if you like it.
Oh so you have your jackets made on measure everytime? Is it from Aero or Lewis? Other brand? I especially like the last one (that you were on several pics) you're wearing, always like these kind of designs with the D pocket.
Yes, all my leather jackets are modified to my measurements. I.e. Based on a standard size (usually 42 or 44) is then lengthened and tapered by the manufacturer.
At 5* are often completely new patterns created for me.
All my non-leather jackets have been altered by a tailor.

I have little experience with different manufacturers. Essentially Aero, Lewis Leathers, Field leathers and FiveStar. In the meantime I only have Aero, Lewis and a shearling vest from 5*.
I would have liked to try Johnson and Vanson, but there the communication did not work. In addition, there is the customs duty and VAT when importing into the EU, which can quickly make a jacket 30% more expensive.
But since my desires are just satisfied, everything is fine.

The xzip with D-Pocket is an Aero Slim Fit Motorcycle Jacket, called Ridley, made of blackened brown Vicenza HH leather.
My only x-zip and I like it very much.

leonnostar

New in Town
Thank you very much. I am glad if you like it.

Yes, all my leather jackets are modified to my measurements. I.e. Based on a standard size (usually 42 or 44) is then lengthened and tapered by the manufacturer.
At 5* are often completely new patterns created for me.
All my non-leather jackets have been altered by a tailor.

I have little experience with different manufacturers. Essentially Aero, Lewis Leathers, Field leathers and FiveStar. In the meantime I only have Aero, Lewis and a shearling vest from 5*.
I would have liked to try Johnson and Vanson, but there the communication did not work. In addition, there is the customs duty and VAT when importing into the EU, which can quickly make a jacket 30% more expensive.
But since my desires are just satisfied, everything is fine.

The xzip with D-Pocket is an Aero Slim Fit Motorcycle Jacket, called Ridley, made of blackened brown Vicenza HH leather.
My only x-zip and I like it very much.
Perfect! Again thank you so much for those great informations. I will definitely try an Aero custom then :)

Motocann

One Too Many
Hi, I've read every page of this thread, but I still went on buying a FCL jacket and thought my opinion might be of some help for anyone considering buying one. No offense but I've seen a lot of negativity here, to the point it almost had me hesitating.
What made me want to buy a jacket from FCL originally was their re-imagined designs with a tighter fit, and the quality of their leather.

I'm 6'3, 77/78kg. So very slim and it's very hard for me to find a proper leather jacket, even clothes in general, there is always a problem, especially with sleeves length (they're often much too short), or waist being too large for me.
If you're in my category, I think this post will be interesting.

I have a Schott jacket, the 618. I bought it in size 46 solely because of sleeves & shoulders length, but thing is it's way too large on my waist. I almost don't wear it now, I'm too thin for it. With the previous sizes, the sleeves were just too short. I really wanted this jacket so I thought maybe with some time it would adapt or I would somehow get more waist muscles, but none of those things happened. Very sad.

My passion for leather jackets are perfecto designs. Most of the time I have an issue with something on the design, I'm very difficult.
They're too large in some key areas like waist in general, or they're too short and it reveals your belt once zipped, which I hate, they don't fall as I'd like to, they lack character, I don't like the leather, or the tone, or a tiny detail in the design, there's always something I struggle with.
Sometimes they just look too "classic", like a caricature. Or sometimes they look just too crazy.
So when I saw FCL designs, and the models wearing them, I thought for once, it was something that pleased me all around.

I went to Rivet & Hide to try several jackets, their shop is absolutely fantastic, and the guys are so nice. The amount of cool clothes they have is crazy, if I had more time I would have spent 6 hours in there.

I tried several Fine Creek jackets: the Edward 2mm, the Eric, the Leon Custom 1.3mm and the Edward (standard).

They are all incredible in hand, I love all of those designs, and they are all different in colors and textures, the choice was very hard. I tried them all in size 42, and I think Edward 2mm & Eric in both 40 & 42. Size 40 was too small, so then I went with size 42.

I had looked at the promo pics with the models on the Rivet & Hide website for hours, and my first choice was actually Edward 2mm, because of the color.

In person, the Edward 2mm was still my favorite, the color is perfect. It just looks so beautiful, you have to see it with your eyes.
However, the feeling inside was a bit weird. I almost couldn't bend my arms, leather was too tight and thick, I'm not sure how to describe it. Couldn't move properly. Since I smoke a lot, I thought it would be a big problem.
As for the fit, in 42, sadly it was a tad bit too short on the sleeves. The 44 wouldn't have fitted me, in 42 the length of the shoulders and how it fell on my waist was exactly my proportions.

The Leon Custom 1.3mm was perfect on every level, except sleeves length. Sleeves were much too short for me, but if I had tried it in 44, it wouldn't have fitted on other areas, same as Edward 2mm.

The Eric in 42 was perfection. Fitted perfectly, but I wanted something a bit more original. That said it had me hesitating a lot. It's the kind of jacket that's so simple yet so classy. So well made. I may buy it in the future if it's not out of stock by then.

I went back trying the Edward 2mm, it was almost perfect if not for the sleeves a bit too short and the bending problem.
Then I remembered there was another Edward I saw on the website, the original version, asked if they still had it in stock.
The seller wasn't sure, but he came back with it. It was the last one they had in stock, size 42 (phew), I tried it and... absolutely perfect! I could bend my arms without problems, and the sleeves fall exactly right. It perfectly sits on my shoulders, goes perfectly with my waist (I think it's the most important to me because of the Schott, finally a tight leather jacket around the waist), chest is perfect, the profile is perfect and it's the design I loved originally. And it doesn't reveal my belt when zipped.
Only downside is I definitely prefer the shinki black leather on the Edward 2mm. The color is great on the standard Edward, but maybe a bit too classic. But hey, I guess I can't have everything. I absolutely love the design and how it suits me. This Edward 2mm will be mine at some point, I will have to have it customized. And I want the Eric too. I will buy Fine Creek Leather once I'm a billionaire and have them design everything just for me!

I would definitely recommend to go to a shop selling those FCL jackets and try them on. I I wouldn't have bought one blindly because of the price, neither would I buy one blindly in 42 now I saw they all fit differently in the same size, depending of the model of the jacket. Normally when you buy jeans from a brand, once you know your size, it will fit. That doesn't apply to FCL, I can tell you.
The thing is, size 42 would be my maximum size in this brand. So there are models I won't be able to wear, sadly.

I do understand leather jackets and clothes in general are very frustrating. I think I understand it more than a lot of people, being 6'3 SUCKS! Most brands don't care about tall people, and I won't rant about shoes, it would take me hours.
Depending of your body & brands, sometimes it won't fit, something won't do with what you have in mind. Only one solution: go to a store in real person and see if it fits, if you like it.

Anyway, I applaud this Fine Creek brand. I definitely prefer how those japanese craftmen size those jackets compared to americans. I'm extremely difficult and this is a jacket I will wear for the years to come. Absolutely love it, I can't take anything away from it (except they should've used shinki!!!), the quality is amazing. Thanks again to Rivet & Hide for their amazing service and patience.

Hope this post will help some of you on the fence. Normally I hate putting pics of me like this online, but since I was searching for specific photos like this before buying, I think it will be of some use for some people.
My apologies for jumping in a little late to this conversation...
Regarding sleeve length, keep in mind that if we're talking motorcycle jackets, the proper sleeve length should break right where your wrist bends. Hence, this may seem "short" to some people who are accustom to wearing jackets with longer sleeve lengths.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
ACCO004 Number7 Deer
Size 44 (Fits smaller)
This black is more like very dark brown, aniline finish is not jet black. Really awesome leather. Fujioka deerskin (Wapiti)

IMG_0448.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
ACJK036 Long Hill (Remix by Izumiya)
Size 42 (Fits bigger)
Black teacore horsehide. I think a lot of these gets mistaken for Shinki, but I believe they're either Maryam or some customized Himeji. The core is more red than peanut butter. Regardless the tannery, it's really nice leather. Feels like the same leather used on the Toys Mccoy Durable, very wearable, and shiny, and jet black.

IMG_8620.jpg
IMG_8561.jpg
IMG_8628.jpg
IMG_8579.jpg
IMG_8592.jpg
IMG_8601.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's all I've got for Fine Creek for now. Also looking for a Leon, but I think I have to go up to a 46 in that one. Anyone with the Leon can please give an exact shoulder width measurement, with the folds folded in not pulling. Really appreciated.

jchance

One of the Regulars
I thought I’ve seen it all and then I just saw this new release from Fine Creek… it looks like it was made for some rapper from Hollywood.

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5149.jpeg
    IMG_5149.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5148.jpeg
    IMG_5148.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5150.jpeg
    IMG_5150.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 47

Aloysius

cbez

One Too Many
I don't like that one much altho its better zipped. has a puffy pregnant look to it.

I feel like fine creek gets unfairly hated on for some goofy patterns. schott/vanson etc all have horrendously ugly patterns too but we focus on the few we like and ignore the others.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
ACJK036 Long Hill (Remix by Izumiya)
Size 42 (Fits bigger)
Black teacore horsehide. I think a lot of these gets mistaken for Shinki, but I believe they're either Maryam or some customized Himeji. The core is more red than peanut butter. Regardless the tannery, it's really nice leather. Feels like the same leather used on the Toys Mccoy Durable, very wearable, and shiny, and jet black.

View attachment 564288 View attachment 564287 View attachment 564289 View attachment 564290 View attachment 564291 View attachment 564292
That’s what the new Schott jacket should have been.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
And that fc is intended for a totally different audience than the middle aged men that roam these halls. My teenagers think all my jackets are silly.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner