Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fine creek leathers sizing

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
What has been your experience sizing a trucker style jacket from fine creek? Did you size up from your usual? How do they compare in size to y2 leather and double helix's trucker jackets? I am typically a 36 in y2 leather's trucker jacket and I recently came across a used fine creek type 1 in a 38 that has similar measurements (except the sleeve is a bit longer). That being said, on Fine Creek's website this same model in a 38 is longer than my y2. I am thinking that either 1) the seller measured incorrectly or 2) the jacket gets smaller (somehow :D) with wear? Your advice is much appreciated.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
I've been looking into this as I'm interested in their jackets, especially the type 1 and 2 in leather.
From what I've gathered in these type of jackets FCL and DH fit smaller than Y2.
I have a type 1 (Lee style, I think they were called Guthrie then) by FCL predecessor HLL in 44. It fits well.
I mostly wear 42.
In Y2 a 42 should also fit.
It depends on the way you want to wear it as well, of course: just a tshirt underneath or sweatshirt, flannel, etc..

FCL is known to design their jackets a bit longer, I think.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
I've been looking into this as I'm interested in their jackets, especially the type 1 and 2 in leather.
From what I've gathered in these type of jackets FCL and DH fit smaller than Y2.
I have a type 1 (Lee style, I think they were called Guthrie then) by FCL predecessor HLL in 44. It fits well.
I mostly wear 42.
In Y2 a 42 should also fit.
It depends on the way you want to wear it as well, of course: just a tshirt underneath or sweatshirt, flannel, etc..

FCL is known to design their jackets a bit longer, I think.
Thanks!

joezam713

One of the Regulars
I have the High Large Oklahoma City. High Large morphed into Fine Creek and they now call the same jacket the Richmond. It is a Type 1 jacket. I'm a pretty solid 40 and my High Large is a 42.
Thanks! I just scored a Guthrie from high large. Hopefully it fits.

Franko13

New in Town
HI Gents - I’m about to jump into the leather jacket world and really like the denim style versions by either Fine Creek, Y2 or Double Helix. I was curious about sizing though in a leather jacket. I’m a slim guy around 5’11” but weight 140. I typically wear an S in everything without it being snug, but I’ve never purchased a leather jacket before so I’m hoping to get your advice. I know leather doesn’t typically drape so something big can just look ill fitting. I took my measurements and they are
Chest: 36” around my body
Shoulder: 17” across
Back 22.5”
Sleeve: 24”
Waist: 32” around my body

I measured a type 2 style waxed jacket I have from Freenote cloth that has a thin blanket lining. I like the fit of it, but that being said, it is waxed cotton, and not tight. I’m not sure how the fit would translate into leather. It’s measurements are:
Chest: 20”
Shoulder: 17.25”
Back: 23.5”
Waist: 18.5”

The measurements seem to match up to a size 38, but maybe it would be too boxy in leather? I’m worried if I get the torso correct the sleeves and back will be too short?

Thanks for any helpful insights…unfortunately I don’t have access to a store to try these jackets on in.

jeffrx

New in Town
I’m just outside of NYC and in the same boat, very interested in getting a FCL jacket. I plan to visit Self Edge one of these days to try a few on. Someone is selling a Raymond model on eBay that’s my tagged size but I read a review somewhere that says that model runs small, so not sure I way to chance it.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I can’t stand Fine Creek (and have been subjected to Self Edge and Franklin & Poe trying to convince me my own senses are wrong and actually FCL is amazing), if you’re hell bent on getting one, yes their sizing is simultaneously small in some dimensions and large in others so there’s no substitute for trying it on.

On top of that if you don’t know jacket fit well, you might think it fits great, only to realize otherwise right after the return period.

In just about every Fine Creek model’s case, the actual jacket they’re copying is still in production from the original brand at equal/higher quality, with better fit and patterning, and for considerably less money.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s figuring out what fits you individually that’s the problem. Lol

I think his point is that there is barely anyone who fits the Fine Creek pattern, not in an "out of shape" way or something–more like the jacket might have the width of a size 36, the length of a size 48, and forearms as wide as a leg, while zipped. It's a truly strange pattern.

I am sure that somewhere in the world there is a lanky rail thin person with no muscle development except in his forearms but I don't know how many such people exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff