Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Firearm safety tutorial

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Sorry, Sam--was trying to elaborate on your point, not pick a fight. To me, "Cowboy" is Cocked and UNlocked on a single-action autoloader... like the Texas Ranger who carried his with round in pipe, safety off and grip-safety tied down with a band of rawhide, and when asked if it was dangerous replied "It better be."

ahhh the internet strikes again...i misunderstood your response...no fight intended...my fault...

warbird

One Too Many
Diamondback is absolutely correct. It is a foolish man who would carry a 1911 style pistol anyway other than cocked and locked. The 1911 has a grip safety, any newer model has a block safety as well. They are designed to be carried C&L and it is not "cowboy: to carry it that way.

The Hi Power as well as the CZ 75 can be carried C&L as well.

I will also note that many many semi-autos today have no external safety so to speak at all.

My main pistol is an HK P7 which has what is referred to as a squeeze-cocker, but no other external safety.

Not all safety is general in nature by any means, it is very specific to the firearm. This, and no slight is meant to anyone, but I always say consult an expert, not a plinker, not a magazine reader, not even most gun shop employees, when it comes to real training with the weapons you will have fun at the range with and possibly protect your family with.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First, let me apologize for my choice of words; I didn't intend to portray anyone negatively.

My intention was to note that safeties are not always safe.

Concerning C&L, I realize 1911's were developed with that in mind and I understand there are those who choose to carry in said state.

I was attempting to inform a shooter who may be unfamiliar with C&L that it may not be a good idea to learn C&L as a "habit" until they are actually proficient with the weapon (and by proficient, I mean, as warbird has mentioned, not just someone who plinks, reads magazines and works at a store).

I CCW revolvers which have one safety located between my ears; less safety than C&L .45's. I don't personally carry my .45's C&L because I don't feel I'm proficient enough with semi-auto's, although I'm unopposed to the idea.

Hope that clarifies my intention and thanks for the discussion!

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
If I may throw in my own 2 cents...

i think deacon posted a reat thread with basic information. But, before you go hanlding a loaded firearm yourself, I suggest you seek some competent hands-on instruction. This does not have to be a paid instructor, though that can be a good choice. A trusted friend with knowledge and experience can do as good a job, if not better. I learned rifles and shotguns first from my father and grandfather, then in the Scouts, then in the Army, where i also picked up handgun skills. And, I've taught several people safe gunhandling and basic shooting, free of charge.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
MagistrateChris said:
i think deacon posted a reat thread with basic information. But, before you go hanlding a loaded firearm yourself, I suggest you seek some competent hands-on instruction. This does not have to be a paid instructor, though that can be a good choice. A trusted friend with knowledge and experience can do as good a job, if not better. I learned rifles and shotguns first from my father and grandfather, then in the Scouts, then in the Army, where i also picked up handgun skills. And, I've taught several people safe gunhandling and basic shooting, free of charge.
I wholeheartedly agree on the instruction from a knowledgeable person. Please remember, safety first.

French

Familiar Face
very nice safety intro

Hi Deacon,

Like a previous poster, I first learned firearm safety from Dad and Granddad, then later in the US Army. It is so important for people to remember to always treat the weapon as if it was loaded and to never point the weapon at anything you do not intend on shooting. Also, alcohol, tiredness, illicit chemicals -- anything that can alter your judgement does not mix with firearms.

thank you for the information.

French

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points