Fireplaces and Stoves

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by Shangas, Jun 22, 2013.

1. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Nice. Have you ever had anything soda blasted? I have not but I've seen the results. Much preferable than sand on metal. Strips the nasty without pitting the material.

1mach1 and Bugguy like this.
  2. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Actually, yes. You're right that its less cutting. I think that's what most the shops that do small custom work use,

3. Zachary

Zachary One of the Regulars

A beautiful glimpse of our fire place, which will soon get back to action, as the hot season dawns ... (note the beautiful rest of the living room with vintage wallpapers and similar.)

E7A95541-C4AA-404B-BC6B-2FE4117B3D0D.jpeg

4. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Here is the fireplace in our reception parlor. This unit replaced the original simple marble mantle when the house was re-decorated in the '80s. Last year I replaced the coal grate with an 1890's vintage gas fire, one of the units with the asbestos flock on the back. It supplements the heat innthe parlor nucely, and we have neither soot nor ash to clean.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    The room was papered this spring with a 1920s vintage damask paper. I have to find a seamstress to make up draperies, for just now morning can bring on snow blindness

5. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

[​IMG]

Our sole source of heat for our ~110 year-old farmhouse for the first 30 years or so my wife and I lived here. About 5 years ago we chickened out and installed a single gas vent-free heater to carry us over a night or two in the winter if we needed to be away from home.

I helped build three of these when I was about 12 years old. My dad and grand-dad, who actually built the stoves, each got one, and the guy who owned the welding shop we "borrowed" to cut and weld the metal got one as his payment. When my grand-dad sold his last country house and lost his woodlot, he gave his stove to me. The stove is 5/8" plate steel lined with fire brick and with cast iron doors, will take a 28" log pretty easily, and when loaded and banked properly will hold fire for 36 hours or so if we are gone from home. It takes four good men to lift and move it. Luckily we haven't left this house since we married! My father still uses his daily in the colder weather as well.

We burn about 8 cords of hardwood in an average winter, counting some wood for the stove in the workshop, which we just keep heated enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

As I get older the idea of cutting all that wood is less attractive, but there is NOTHING like being able to back up to a wood stove on a wet or snowy winter day and let the heat drive the chill from your bones!

6. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Well, its only taken almost forever to get the stove blasted. High temperature primer, a finish coat, new mica and its ready to go. No powder coat - I was tired of waiting on the trades. I'm really pleased with it. Haven't figured out where to place it, but its a keeper.

IMG_1971 2.jpg IMG_1972 2.jpg

3fingers likes this.
  7. Warden

Warden One Too Many

Popped in a 'new' fireplace in my sons bedroom.

Just for decoration as the chimney has been removed from the roof line, but nice to see it back in place.

To see it click here for my Instagram pics of the fireplace.

8. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

All that wood for the stove within!
    [​IMG]

BobHufford and Fading Fast like this.
  9. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

⇧ I am sincerely jealous.

10. Bushman

Don't be. That wood is from two humongous shade trees that died over the winter. We definitely missed their shade this summer. The weird thing to see is the pics we have of them when they were saplings.
    [​IMG]

Fading Fast likes this.
  11. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

We have 2 lovely old ash trees that will be coming down before long. The emerald ash borer has gotten them both.

12. Bushman

Such a shame. :(

Here's something I slapped together real quick yesterday. Patio fireplace made from an old grill and an old desk piece. Pounded a couple nails into the one corner to hold up wood, and voila! I might make some adjustments, like placing steel strips around the lip of the bowl as right now the edges kept catching fire from the heat. The idea is solid, though!
    [​IMG]

vitanola, Fading Fast and 3fingers like this.