Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First eBay Hat Purchase

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I've had really good luck (a $300 Baron's custom for $30) and really bad luck buying hats on Ebay, especially with folks that no nothing about size. But it looks like a good hat! Wear it well...

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Nice hat! Ebay's always a bit of a gamble, but overall I've definitely come out on top. I have a couple of hats that only cost me $10 at auction, but are better quality than a new hat at 10x the cost.

Another bonus: sometimes you can find an old price tag behind the sweat band. It's kind of neat to see what the original price was on a hat.

You'll have to post a pic of you with the hat on when it arrives. Wear it well (I've been in your shoes-or boots-although a different branch. The regulation hair cut doesn't exactly provide a lot of sun protection!)

Cheers!

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Thanks all. I am looking forward to my first vintage lid. I have a few new hats. This is my first stingy as well, something else I was looking forward to getting.

SinatraStyle, yep, the reg hair cut does nothing for protection of the head. Heck, in the Air Force, they did away with the boonie hat in the desert, a place a hat like that is needed. I started inheriting my grandfather's hair line in my mid 20s, so it is even more critical.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Looks like a nice one, Willi, and I would say you very likely did not get hosed. Hope this is the first of many happy acquisitions for you. When you get the hat, be sure to post pix of it (on your noggin).

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Can't wait to see the new hat on you. That's the great thing about the Lounge. Everyone else is just as anxious to see your new hat as you are to get it.

Oh, I noticed under your avatar that you are in GA for another week...where next?

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:
Can't wait to see the new hat on you. That's the great thing about the Lounge. Everyone else is just as anxious to see your new hat as you are to get it.

Oh, I noticed under your avatar that you are in GA for another week...where next?
I will still be in GA, I am moving to the other side of the county. I am getting married in a month and we will need a bigger house, what with bringing four kids into the mix.

Of course I am still trying to convince my fiance that the hat interest is nice and innocent.

By the way, if anyone knows of some good hat shops in DC and NYC let me know. That is where we will be honeymooning.

funneman

Practically Family
Congratulations!

Looks like a fine lid to me. I wear my Royal Stetson almost everyday.

Also, it's good to see more Stingy Brim wearers here in the lounge.

And best of luck to you and the future Mrs. Goat.

I got four at home myself...they're a handful!

squid

One of the Regulars
funneman said:

Four wives? Four hats? Four goats?

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
funneman said:

Thanks. Hopefully she will not try to curtail the hat, and other things vintage, collecting. She is pretty much OK with it so far. I guess as long as I do not start spending the grocery money on eBay things will be fine.:D

ledsled

One of the Regulars
NYC

Hey... good luck with all your changes!! Sounds like you'll have a plateful of 'em. If your wife gives you grief about vintage hats, remind her of all the other things you could be doing with your time and money! Hat collecting should be the worst we thing we are accused of. ;)

That stingy brim Stetson looks pristine. I like the high crown on it. I don't think you went wrong with purchasing it. Finding a hat in your size and in that condition is not the easiest task.

If you are heading to NYC, I would recommend visiting Bencraft Hats. Steve is a Lounge vendor and has always been totally professional in his comments. I understand that they have two stores in NYC. I have not been there, but intend to the next time I am in New York and have some extra money in my pocket. (That magic combination might take a decade or so). lol

Check out their website and I'm sure they'll be glad to give you directions, etc.

www.bencrafthats.com

And good luck with your upcoming wedding! :D

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep. Buying goofy hats is just a step away from smoking, drinking and fraternizing with loose women. She should be glad you're trying hats on for size instead of women!lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Looks to be a decent hat there. Good price too. There are far worse things to collect than vintage hats. You have the beginning of a good future collection, especially if you can coax a little history out of the seller. The history of an item is always the best part of it for me. Congratulations, wear it well.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats