Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Fedora, advice please.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Good evening gentlemen. I think I have probably held this moment off long enough! After a long time drooling over the wonderful photos here, I realize that I am strangely being drawn to the idea of owning a fedora. Whether I would actually have the nerve to wear it out of doors is another matter :) but I do have the urge to at least own one. The main problem I have is that I live in the UK, which is not really swamped with fedoras for sale - yes, ebay here does list them, but they are more of the trilby type or 'stingy brim' as I think you call them.

As I have just bought my first quality leather jacket ( Aero Highwayman) I was sort of hoping I could find a hat to go with that. I like the idea of brown, but I'd like to avoid attracting comments like " Hey Indy, where's your whip!" if at all possible :) With that in mind, I think the really wide brimmed hats are going to be a bit too much for me me at this early stage of my fedora development.

Any guidance as to what I might consider and where I might find such a beast, would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Just some quick thoughts.....

First off even with a stingy brim you will get Indy comments though not as many.

Second, ignore them.....we're talking about what you like not them...

OR third, politely let them know that it is not a Indy hat. It is in fact a blah, blah, blah and they're eyes will glaze over.

As far as where to acquire hats...well all over. The bay has more stingy brimmed hats but they go for cheap compared to new but often of better quality. I just got back into fedoras last fall and so far have only one stinker from buying from Ebay and it was partially my fault. The others are great though I have kept out of the big price wars on the 2+" brimmed hats. If your not looking for a larger brimmed hat yet but are not sure of the true stingies, get something like a two inch brim. I found two great examples at only aprox. $20 before shipping. Here's one and this is right out of the shipping box with only a light brushing.
P1010024.jpg

You can also often find great deals in vintage or thrift stores...plus there are a number of members from your side of the pond that can tell you local places.

Finally you will be made aware that the company Akubra is well liked here for its quality and price point. I have a Fed IV through Hats Direct which I am wearing today and I will be purchasing more Akubras in the future if that says anything.....

Welcome aboard and have fun!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
The previous posters have given great advice and as some also new to the fedora game let me pass a few of my lessons on to you...

1. Some people will always look at you because you're wearing a fedora - ignore them. They are staring because they are awestruck by your styling hat, that's all.

2. If at all possible try some hats on. I've learned the hard way that I don't look good in a stingy (short) brim and that the less taper the better. I have several cheaper fedoras I will no longer wear because I got one good one that really suits me and made me realize what doesn't work. If you can't find any to try out, buy a couple of cheap ones first - don't spend a ton of money until you know what you look good it.

3. As with Belegnole's comment, Akubra hats are a great place to start, I got my Federation IV from Hats Direct.

4. Most importantly - have fun :)

Cooperson

One Too Many
Wil Tam said:

Hello Wil - Many thanks for great link. Looking at it, I guess I have quite a long face so my results from that website are probably as follows:

"Look for a hat that shortens the appearance of your face.
Crown: Shorter height. Avoid crowns that are square, full, or too high.
Taper: Moderate
Hat Band: Wide (will make you face shorter) with a contrasting color to break up your vertical lines
Brim: Moderately wide, snapped from ear to ear
Tilt: To the side with a slight back tilt
Recommended hat: Fedora, Homburg, Derby"

I'm really not keen on the Homburg style but I am open to all suggestions.

Hello Belegnole - Thank you for the welcome. I like the hat in the photo you have posted - can you tell me what it is?

I really am not a big fan of the stingy brim design and I am not yet man enough for a wide brim, so I guess a 2" might be about right for me.

Hello Forfeltfadora - Thank you for the advise. The only fedora style hats I have ever tried on are Panama types in local fashion shops, from this limited experience I realized that the wide brim style did not quite suit me. I have considered Akubra but, for some reason, the brown ones had a 3 month waiting list! I think if could find a hat that really suited me I might be tempted to brave the outside world :)

Cheers

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Being a hat wearer in the UK myself I find that it's surprising how few comments actually come by. Usually only the chavs (to those who don't understand, it's a modern English term for teanage yobbos who usually wear hoodies) say silly things, and to be honest their dress sense is laughable.

I quite often wear a fedora with a brown leather jacket. To avoid the Indy comments I made the fedora light grey, which surprisingly goes very nicely with brown. My personal choice is a Stetson Chatham in carribou grey (http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=104), as the brim is 2 3/8 and therefore a nice midpoint in between stingies and wide brims. I think it works for me, though I can't explain why since I am tall and would expect to need a wider brim, but I'm happy with the way it looks in my avatar.

I had a problem wearing a hat in public at first, but I gradually got used to it. My first hat was a Tilley cloth hat, but then I decided it wasn't so good because it can only be worn informally, whereas a fedora can be both formal or informal. I therefore got a fedora, and have got several since until I finally decided on a fur felt which has lasted longer than the wool felts.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hello avedwards - Good to hear from a UK fedora wearer. I have to admit, apart from the odd old guy in a trilby I have yet to see a fedora being worn in my town - strange how a hat style that was so common at one time could disappear so completely. The Stetson Chatham looks promising - did you order yours from noggintops and if so, what were the shipping costs like?

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I ordered mine from noggintops. Overall the converted price of the hat and shipping was about £90. I had a gift code then, picked up from another lounger which gave me a $20 reduction. An Akubra will be cheaper and more durable, but the Stetson has a nicer feel to the felt apparently. I posted a thread a while ago where I asked for a comparison between this hat and an Akubra and that seemed to be the verdict.

Either way, I like this style because as vintage looking fedoras go I think this one is on the less obvious end of the scale. To the untrained eye of the average passer by it doesn't look too different from the cloth trilbies which aren't too uncommon. It's when the trench coat comes in that the comments start, although I don't let that bother me.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
Hello Belegnole - Thank you for the welcome. I like the hat in the photo you have posted - can you tell me what it is?

I really am not a big fan of the stingy brim design and I am not yet man enough for a wide brim, so I guess a 2" might be about right for me.

Cheers

The hat in question is made by Knox, this is the original post I made with a few more pictures. It is size 7 1/8, brim 2", open crown 5", Grosgrain Ribbon 2 1/8", dark chocolate brown, Felt dark coffee brown. Here is one more with it on.

Daily040909.jpg

Note that I have not done anything to the bash as I sort of like the homburg look this hat's crown has. Also I have a relatively long face and nose.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Belegnole said:
The hat in question is made by Knox, this is the original post I made with a few more pictures. It is size 7 1/8, brim 2", open crown 5", Grosgrain Ribbon 2 1/8", dark chocolate brown, Felt dark coffee brown. Here is one more with it on.

Note that I have not done anything to the bash as I sort of like the homburg look this hat's crown has. Also I have a relatively long face and nose.

I really like the style of this hat and it's suits you perfectly. I think I have more of a long face than round, so something along these lines might do very well.

My hat size is 59cm, which I think equates to a USA size 7 3/8". Any idea where I might find something like this?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I find that a 2 1/2" brim is a width that most people look at least ok in. If in doubt, go with that.

As for the Indy comments; it probably would take a pink derby to avoid it! People are, for the most part, stupid. Just go with what you like, and ignore the fools.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
I find that a 2 1/2" brim is a width that most people look at least ok in. If in doubt, go with that.

As for the Indy comments; it probably would take a pink derby to avoid it! People are, for the most part, stupid. Just go with what you like, and ignore the fools.

Many thanks - looks like 2" to 2 1/2" is probably the way to go then.

Cheers

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Cooperson said:
Many thanks - looks like 2" to 2 1/2" is probably the way to go then.

Cheers

Although it sounds like not much, the half inch difference is significant. If theres a place of any sort near you that sells hats, go try some on. Youll be surprised how much different a 2 and 2 1/2 brim will look on you. Thats not to say that one will definitely look better, just different to the point that you may say, 'ya know, I really like this ___ inch brim best.'

Cooperson

One Too Many
scottyrocks and avedwards - I didn't realize 1/2" could make such a difference. Looks like I might have to travel down to London to try some on as can't seem to find any hat shops anywhere near me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy