Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First hat and first bash. How am I doing?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Ah stop being such a baby about that box. Federations are tough! I bet you won't worry when you get your Fieldmaster. Those babies are supposed to be cast iron.

Legend has it Fieldmasters are felted in the fires of hell by the devil himself, made from hair ripped from the heads of a choir of screaming banshees.

Being a lawyer, Ken makes weekly trips down that way, so that's when he picks up his hats. lol

You don't know how funny that is! Lawyers and cops don't usually mix! I had actually forgotten about my camptown, being so tied up with my fed.
So now that you've gone all lord of the rings, will we be the fellowship of the camptowns!?
(I'll let you know if I turn invisible when I put mine on).

pils

New in Town
Thanks guys. I haven't worn a proper hat before so I really appreciate your comments. It does make me more confident that people in the know have approved the look before I set foot out the door.

The hat was ordered from Hatsdirect and their service was excellent. I also received their e-mail asking me to confirm my size and that caused me to change the order from a size 62 to a 61. That was a very good thing since I had to put the sponged rubber strips into the sides of the hat band to keep it from sliding down on my ears.

Fatwoul: Yes, it was a bit daunting to pick the open crowned hat out of the box. I was thinking "Oh bu.... how is this going to become a fedora!". But the hat creases thread was very helpful.

/Niels

pils

New in Town
indycop said:
if his box looked like mine did, I bet he felt panic!lol

The hat arrived in just five days with not a single mark on the hat or the box. The mortar round treatment must be a special service supplied by the US postal service :)

/Niels

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
One gorgeous hat on a good looking dane!

Great job on the bash...but you have caused me a severe dilema...I was seriously considering the tawny fawn fed...but now that I've seen the grey (and how wonderful it looks)...I'm lost as to which color to get! :eusa_doh:
and no...I don't have the funds for both at the moment....
Colby Jack

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
...I don't have the funds for both at the moment...

How about you stick with the tawny fawn plan for now, while there is still a little summer left and that colour might be more...summery? Then that gives you time to get the money for a grey for the winter.

Really, it depends what you'd be wearing it with, and (here I go sounding girly again) your colouration/complexion.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Wear it with pride, it looks great!

Is that a larger size, or has the Fed come down in crown height? I seem to remember the crown being taller, usually.

pils

New in Town
The Wingnut said:
Wear it with pride, it looks great!

Is that a larger size, or has the Fed come down in crown height? I seem to remember the crown being taller, usually.

It's a size 61. I ended up folding the crown down quite a bit, so maybe that gives it the effect of looking shorter.

Oh, and sorry for being a bit late with a reply. I changed the e-mail address in my profile and that made me unable to post for a while.

Best,
Niels

Speedster

Practically Family
...og s?• i f??rste fors??g!!!

Flot hat og flot bash, Niels. :eusa_clap

And the hat looks good on you.

I am also considering the Federation. Did it reach you without the "told og moms" on top?

pils

New in Town
Speedster said:
Flot hat og flot bash, Niels. :eusa_clap

And the hat looks good on you.

I am also considering the Federation. Did it reach you without the "told og moms" on top?

Yes it did. But even with this added I would still call this hat excellent value for money when compared to the offerings in the same price range from Copenhagen department stores such as Magasin or Illum.

Best,
Niels

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
pils said:
Thanks guys!

Indycop: I started by trying to do a diamond crease as shown in Dinerman's video in the hat creases thread. From there I kept fiddling with it (lowering the crown more and more and smoothing things out) until it looked right in the mirror.

/Niels

That's exactly what I did with my first open crown ... which was also a Federation ... and which also ended up at a teardrop lol
Congrats, it looks great
and welcome!

Speedster

Practically Family
deanglen said:
I understood three words in that, Rene! Hat, bash, and Niels. Flot means something positive? I'd bet it does, but what? "Og" is "and"? Hope all is well with you.

dean

Hi dean, all is well here, thanks. Hope all is well with you too. "Flot" means something like handsome, smart, elegant, fine, nice and "og" means and. And bash was used as i didn't know a good equivalent word in danish.

:eek:fftopic: I was out on the shooting range last Saturday in the SpanAm outfit (still missing some equipment, though). One of my shooting buddies (a collector of 1st generation Colt Peacemakers) showed me his newest purchase: a 5 1/2 inch Colt .45 with Cavalry stamps on the grip from 1890! Amazing and smack on for the Campaign Hat. I took some photos of the Hat and Colt together which i will post in the Campaign hat thread when i get the time to upload them.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speedster said:
Hi dean, all is well here, thanks. Hope all is well with you too. "Flot" means something like handsome, smart, elegant, fine, nice and "og" means and. And bash was used as i didn't know a good equivalent word in danish.

:eek:fftopic: I was out on the shooting range last Saturday in the SpanAm outfit (still missing some equipment, though). One of my shooting buddies (a collector of 1st generation Colt Peacemakers) showed me his newest purchase: a 5 1/2 inch Colt .45 with Cavalry stamps on the grip from 1890! Amazing and smack on for the Campaign Hat. I took some photos of the Hat and Colt together which i will post in the Campaign hat thread when i get the time to upload them.

Great! Looking forward to them! Glad all is well!

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy