Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Impressions_ 1920's Work Coat in Vincenza hide_with added fit pics to post

Jägernaut

Practically Family
My sunburst is restrictive in the upper arm area as well but must have stretched some as it has become less so. I will do a thread when my black vincenza maxwell arrives and include the sunburst and belstaff cougar as well.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
"I will do a thread when my black vincenza maxwell arrives and include the sunburst and belstaff cougar as well."

+1

looking forward to it Jagernaut

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I've said it before, and I will say it again, that is the bees knees, the cats meow and any other saying my grandad would come out with after a few pints....bloody superb.

FarWalker

New in Town
That's a real beauty. Did you have the close the back split (not sure that's what you call it)? It is the one aspect of this style I'm not convinced by but it never appears to open up in your fit photos.

Fantastic jacket egg. Perfect fit too. I've been contemplating a button front for my next jacket and this might just be it. Well done!
Thrilled that my Aero Premier Range 1920's Work Coat arrived this past Friday. Thought I'd post my first impressions as I know there has not been many jackets in this hide written up yet. Just some quick background, several months back I began looking for a new leather jacket that would be a step (or more) above the Fox Creek Leather I have had for a few years. I settled on Aero based on styles as I was really interested in a button-front jacket. After further agonizing about options and styles I settled on the 1920's Work Coat in Dark Seal Vincenza with tan contrast stitching, and placed an order through Carrie at Thurston.
While waiting for this build I ended up scoring a beautiful (almost new) Board Racer in black FQHH from a forum member, so I have had some experience with horsehide.
Straight out of the box I could see and feel a significant difference in weight, texture, and "feel" of the hide. Much lighter feeling, but still with some "stiffness" and weight. Surface gloss seems about the same, but the graining and texture on the surface is much more pronounced than the FQHH. The build quality, stitching, etc. are top notch as I expected. Impeccably put together all around. Stitching around button-holes is a thicker and heavier weight thread, and collar has a beautiful corduroy underside, in a brown that matches the Melton wool liner. The Melton wool is a beautiful brown color as well with a subtle variation within the material that is hard to describe but very "rich" looking...reminds me of a beautiful wool blanket. I can also feel a difference in the overall "warmth". I know that leathers do not provide a lot of insulation from cold, but I can tell that the lighter weight of this jacket is not as warm as the fqhh Board Racer I have.
Color is a rich deep "dark chocolate" brown, closest to this shot. View attachment 24796
View attachment 24790 View attachment 24791 View attachment 24792 View attachment 24793 View attachment 24794 View attachment 24795

One thing I am a bit unsure on is overall "fit". Based on the Maxwell test jacket, which was a 42, it was recommended I order this in a 42. I also have a Maxwell on order in a size 40 (again based on "fit" jacket). I'm concerned that jacket is a bit "large" overall, especially in shoulders and back, although it is a great size if I'd like to layer. I guess I expected more of a "slim" jacket overall but have come to terms in my 49 years on this earth that I am not a "slim" build and never will be (I'm 5'8" 175 lbs.). This overall feeling of "too big" could be from the fact that I have been living in my Board Racer for the past 5 weeks (thanks for pointing this out pawinguy) as well as the lighter feel of the Vincenza. Very interested to see how the leather ages as well and if it begins draping and fitting better as it breaks in. My biggest area of concern is the upper back/shoulder area.
Honest and constructive feedback on "fit" is more than welcome....I included quite a few shots showing buttoned/unbuttoned, as well as having side straps tightened or not. Excuse the quality of the pics (iphone and self-timer)...and that fact that my dog refused to stay out of the picture on a few of them.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
View attachment 24809 View attachment 24810 View attachment 24811 View attachment 24812 View attachment 24813 View attachment 24814 View attachment 24815 View attachment 24816 View attachment 24817 View attachment 24818 View attachment 24819

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner