Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Impressions_ 1920's Work Coat in Vincenza hide_with added fit pics to post

triple-d

A-List Customer
Ya.....looking good, it's going to break in and be a nice one. Thor and Pawineguy know there leather jackets. I'm re-motivated to finalize mine.....thanks for sharing!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Let me add to the chorus that I love the jacket. The contrasting stitching and the corduroy collar make it unique and exceptional. Well done.

Worf

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I have been looking forward to the pictures, and they were worth the wait. Very nice indeed. I think the fit is good and will improve as the jacket breaks in. Are the cuffs lined with the wool liner or the corduroy from the collar?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The fit pics are great and appreciate the review, including all of the pictures. It appears to function similarly to my Teamster and should be a great all purpose coat to pull out of the closet for wear in chilly weather. :thumb:

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I am usually an advocate of slim and trim jackets, but the look and feel of this one should be of a sturdy chore coat, which it has. Great jacket!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even if I put my hypercritical hat on for a second and think in some of the pics it looks about 1/2 a size too big, in others it looks spot on.

I think its just cause its still stiff and not sitting naturally yet. The pics of it buttoned up look great and that pic of you with your hands in your pockets....man, that looks cool as all hell.

I know what you mean about a trim fitting board racer skewing your fit perceptions, but this isn't a board racer and isn't supposed to fit like one. Its supposed to be a more relaxed fit.

You could probably get away with a smaller size but not in a way that means this one is too big. I think it looks great and it just needs some time to break in and relax a little. So you have jacket that looks great normally, and it has room for an extra layer...thats a huge win in my book!

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone for the feedback and input on fit, etc. Very much appreciated! This forum is great and without it I never would have taken the plunge myself.
The more I wear this jacket the more I love it...taking into account I have had it only 2 days so far! I'll post update photos when it gets more wear on it through the Spring.

"I would go out tonight"...cuffs, aren't lined with corduroy or wool, but with a layer of matching dark seal horsehide. Pockets are lined with moleskin.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I think it's one of the nicest jackets I've seen posted on here. All of your options really compliment what is one of my favourite designs...in short, it's a show stopping keeper....

bbq

Familiar Face
As a newcomer, I'd like to add my "yes" vote for both the look and the fit. As others have said, this is an everyday coat. To me, an everyday coat always needs room for an extra layer.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thrilled that my Aero Premier Range 1920's Work Coat arrived this past Friday. Thought I'd post my first impressions as I know there has not been many jackets in this hide written up yet. Just some quick background, several months back I began looking for a new leather jacket that would be a step (or more) above the Fox Creek Leather I have had for a few years. I settled on Aero based on styles as I was really interested in a button-front jacket. After further agonizing about options and styles I settled on the 1920's Work Coat in Dark Seal Vincenza with tan contrast stitching, and placed an order through Carrie at Thurston.
While waiting for this build I ended up scoring a beautiful (almost new) Board Racer in black FQHH from a forum member, so I have had some experience with horsehide.
Straight out of the box I could see and feel a significant difference in weight, texture, and "feel" of the hide. Much lighter feeling, but still with some "stiffness" and weight. Surface gloss seems about the same, but the graining and texture on the surface is much more pronounced than the FQHH. The build quality, stitching, etc. are top notch as I expected. Impeccably put together all around. Stitching around button-holes is a thicker and heavier weight thread, and collar has a beautiful corduroy underside, in a brown that matches the Melton wool liner. The Melton wool is a beautiful brown color as well with a subtle variation within the material that is hard to describe but very "rich" looking...reminds me of a beautiful wool blanket. I can also feel a difference in the overall "warmth". I know that leathers do not provide a lot of insulation from cold, but I can tell that the lighter weight of this jacket is not as warm as the fqhh Board Racer I have.
Color is a rich deep "dark chocolate" brown, closest to this shot. View attachment 24796
View attachment 24790 View attachment 24791 View attachment 24792 View attachment 24793 View attachment 24794 View attachment 24795

One thing I am a bit unsure on is overall "fit". Based on the Maxwell test jacket, which was a 42, it was recommended I order this in a 42. I also have a Maxwell on order in a size 40 (again based on "fit" jacket). I'm concerned that jacket is a bit "large" overall, especially in shoulders and back, although it is a great size if I'd like to layer. I guess I expected more of a "slim" jacket overall but have come to terms in my 49 years on this earth that I am not a "slim" build and never will be (I'm 5'8" 175 lbs.). This overall feeling of "too big" could be from the fact that I have been living in my Board Racer for the past 5 weeks (thanks for pointing this out pawinguy) as well as the lighter feel of the Vincenza. Very interested to see how the leather ages as well and if it begins draping and fitting better as it breaks in. My biggest area of concern is the upper back/shoulder area.
Honest and constructive feedback on "fit" is more than welcome....I included quite a few shots showing buttoned/unbuttoned, as well as having side straps tightened or not. Excuse the quality of the pics (iphone and self-timer)...and that fact that my dog refused to stay out of the picture on a few of them.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
View attachment 24809 View attachment 24810 View attachment 24811 View attachment 24812 View attachment 24813 View attachment 24814 View attachment 24815 View attachment 24816 View attachment 24817 View attachment 24818 View attachment 24819

In my mind I'm imagining Madonna singing "Vogue"... looks bloody brilliant mate

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd post a few update photos every so often as I'm a very "visual" person and this thread has helped me immensely in getting a better understanding of the various styles and leathers out there.
I've had the work coat almost a month now and its really been the only jacket I've worn since getting it, as I've wanted to "wear it in" as much as possible. Been wearing it to work and on weekends and certainly not "babying" it. It has seen a bit of snow, a small sprinkling of rain, and a lot of cold weather. Its graining up "pulling up" beautifully and draping much better than when I first got it. I've been comfortable wearing it with only a t-shirt underneath as well as layered with a heavy sweater or lightweight jacket underneath, so the fit to me is great. If I were to ONLY wear it with t-shirts I may have wanted one size smaller (or even a half-size, though I know Aero does not offer that).
My FQHH Maxwell is on its way to me (thanks Carrie!), so the work coat will certainly get less wear over the next few weeks, but it will be interesting to compare the regular FQHH break-in to this.
vicenza_30 days_front.jpg vicenza_30 days_detail.jpg vicenza_30 days_back.jpg vicenza_30 days_chest.jpg vicenza_30 days_shoulder.jpg vicenza_30 days_3-4.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You did exceptionally well with this coat and have provided a significant contribution to the knowledge base on TFL as well. Kudos to you for a thorough analysis of this acquisition. :thumb:

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
jagernaut....certainly the arms holes are high, and restrict a bit, but not uncomfortably so. I wear often when driving and have one or both arms straight in front of me and it's not uncomfortable at all. The jacket does pull up a bit which helps, and again I'm not wearing for intense physical activity.
Fanch, since the Italian Vicenza hide is relatively new to Aero, I thought the more info the better, so again I will update as I spend more time in the jacket.
It's quite interesting to me how much the dark seal color tends to "color shift" depending on the light. It can look dark brown, sometimes appear lighter brown, sometimes appear to have almost a purple/reddish undertone, and also at times appear to have almost a "metallic" or "pearlescent" surface glow which is very hard to describe. I'm curious to know if the other colors (especially black) have the same color properties. There are a few small areas where the color is wearing down slightly, but this I like and hope to have more happen. I just happen to like the look of a worn-in jacket so am trying to put as many hours as I can into it before it warms up too much here,
Pawinguy...I'm hoping more "worn in" Vicenza pics start popping up on TFL.
My guess is the question I get often "is that jacket vintage?" will only happen more often as it loses it's newness and patina's up more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner