Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post - Need Hat Color Advice

indyhan

Familiar Face
pecan vs whiskey vs rust felt

hey lounge gang
am about to order one new fedora but am still hesitant about its colour

so far i only bought dark brown hats but i'd like to go a tad lighter this time

i'm thinking pecan or whiskey or rust, thing is i want to go for the "darkest" of these three hues

in your experience, which one of these is the darkest ?

thanx y'all !

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
i'm thinking pecan or whiskey or rust, thing is i want to go for the "darkest" of these three hues

in your experience, which one of these is the darkest ?

All three colors have very similar light values, as you can see in the grey shade version of this photo.
Pecan is a tad lighter, but in practice it makes no difference.
Pecan, Whiskey, Rust are 7th, 8th, 9th from left in the lower row.

omljQ32.jpg

1BCGty6.jpg

What you might want to ask yourself, do you want an inconspicous all-rounder like pecan or an unusual color like rust? I'd put whiskey in between, but nearer to pecan.
Peca is very versatile and harmonizes with a number of hatband colors, including darker greys.

emigran

Practically Family
Back in the 1930s Esquire recommended a brown hat with a black band for the college man who wanted a single cover to go with everything.

My favorite hat color is "grabrown," a kind of taupe, which covers all the bases pretty well. Unfortunately it's very rare, altho a brownish taupe with a black band would do well.

Art Fawcett has a wonderful color he calls Limestone... check it out

All three colors have very similar light values, as you can see in the grey shade version of this photo.
Pecan is a tad lighter, but in practice it makes no difference.
Pecan, Whiskey, Rust are 7th, 8th, 9th from left in the lower row...What you might want to ask yourself, do you want an inconspicous all-rounder like pecan or an unusual color like rust? I'd put whiskey in between, but nearer to pecan. Pecan is very versatile and harmonizes with a number of hatband colors, including darker greys.
Excellent example. I'd think it would depend on the wearer's preferences, i.e. do you prefer a more neutral brown like the Pecan, a golden brown like the Whiskey, or a reddish brown like the Rust?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred