Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post - Need Hat Color Advice

CYoung

New in Town
Looking to pick up a fedora to try out - I hvae not worn hats too much in the past, but loss of hair changes things! At any rate, I am looking for the right hat color to mix for casual (black leather jacket, khakis, etc.) and suit wear (my suits range from blues / grays to olives and browns). So, I am debating whether to just go with a brown hat (say Akubra Federation), or try a gray or black one.

I am guessing that I would wear it for casual wear 60% and with a suit 40%. My winter suit overcoat is black wool.

So, any advice? Thanks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sounds to me like gray would harmonize with almost everything except for your brown and kakhi stuff - including your black overcoat, which you could wear over the brown stuff.

I started with a gray hat which matched most of what I had, then got a brown one the following year to cover the rest. You might want to consider that strategy... especially since you'll probably find that a single fedora won't satisfy you for very long!

I'd go with the gray as well. However, I like a gray/green so that it matches both if it has too. Finding a hat int his color might be tough though.
I couldn't find a live example in my photo files bu this is kind of what I am referring to:
1949Stetson.jpg

The color adapts to the colors around it.

Regards,

J

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Back in the 1930s Esquire recommended a brown hat with a black band for the college man who wanted a single cover to go with everything.

My favorite hat color is "grabrown," a kind of taupe, which covers all the bases pretty well. Unfortunately it's very rare, altho a brownish taupe with a black band would do well.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I agree with Jamespowers.

My most versatile hat is a grey fedora with a black band. It is a medium grey with a slight biege/tan cast to it. It goes with everything.

Avoid lighter greys that often have a slight blue tone. They will clash with browns. Charcoal greys can also be a problem.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I truly beleieve that the mid-gray (as described by WolfmanJack), is the best choice, but I don't see many examples of that gray available. Mostly I see dark gray and very light gray.

For practical reasons, therefore, I recommend either plain brown (watch color movies that depict the 30's and 40's... brown hats worn with anything), or the gray-brown middle color. Some call it taupe, Stetson has been calling it Bark for several years. I have a bark Stetson Downs in the classifieds somewhere, if you want to see the color.

NB

CYoung

New in Town
Thanks very much ...

for the replies. I am leaning toward brown to start with, as the wool scarves I wear with both coats have browns in them.

I need to learn more about hats and decide whether to just start with a cheap litefelt or felt hat or go for the Akubra as a first hat. That is the rub right now, as it would end up being slightly over $100 with shipping. I know that does not seem like a lot, but if it goes for something that doesn't get used, then it would be wasted.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
You can't go wrong starting with brown, since you have some brown accessories and a brown suit. As NB has said, brown hats were worn with everything in the Golden Era.

Before you drop $100 for your first hat, I’d recommend that you see what you can find on eBay. If you like stingy brims, they often go for less than $15 on eBay.

Later, you'll want a grey one to coordinate better with your greys and blues. Next summer you’ll get a Panama to protect your dome. Then you’ll find a black one that’s perfect with your black leather jacket. Now you’re addicted, and you’ll want another…and another…and….

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wolfman is spot on!

Wolfmanjack said:
You can't go wrong starting with brown, since you have some brown accessories and a brown suit. As NB has said, brown hats were worn with everything in the Golden Era.

Before you drop $100 for your first hat, I’d recommend that you see what you can find on eBay. If you like stingy brims, they often go for less than $15 on eBay.

Later, you'll want a grey one to coordinate better with your greys and blues. Next summer you’ll get a Panama to protect your dome. Then you’ll find a black one that’s perfect with your black leather jacket. Now you’re addicted, and you’ll want another…and another…and….

Firstly welcome aboard Chicago, pull up a stool & name yer poison! The 1st virtual highball is on me!
Secondly, absolutely go the ebay route 1st, unless you are a 7 3/8 or above (& even then if you are a patient man... I was not!).
My first fedora (in 20 yrs.) was a Akubra fed and tho' a fantastic hat (amongst reasonably priced contemporary lids), I seldom wear it & have decided a 2 3/8" brim is my ideal brim width & the Akubra brim is too wide for my face...now for the same $$$ I could've (& subsequently have) acquired 2-3 vintage lids from OFAS (Ebay) that are superior in every conceivable fashion to my Akubra Fed. Others may protest but the Akubra Fed is basically a cowboy (or Jackaroo) hat in a fedora block & bears only passing resemblance to the fedoras of yesteryear.
On the color question... the progression (mine included) seems to run brown, gray, black, sage, blue, silver belly, bark, taupe, putty, charcoal, goldenrod, olive,
navy, indigo, steel, gunmetal, saddle... you get the idea, once you light this fuse, well, just be prepared!

Glad to see ya' here!
Regards,

Rick

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
Hey guys,

Just picked up an Akubra Bogart, grey in color. This should go well with all outfits as I tend to wear dark suits to work. WIll post photos of the new 'lid' and some of the old 'snowy river'. Will have to try out a lot of clothes and outfits to make sure that grey is the right color but I am sure it will be. I dont think it will affect the color of my ties as I tend to have a wide range of colors and designs in those.

Anyway it is grey for me for my first 'fashion' fedora...

Cheers,

CYoung

New in Town
Thanks again - made up my mind ...

I just can't go vintage right now, and I did not see anything on eBay that caught my eye. So, just ordered the Akubra in Brown. I will see if I can get used to the brim size. Seems like a nice enough hat though, and the people at Hats Direct seem very friendly. They gave me size advice and were very prompt.

I should add that I do not dress vintage at all. My suits are mostly Italian, with a couple of Canadian and a couple of U.S. brands; oh and one German Hugo Boss. Not to start a range war, but for those who feel that modern suits do not measure up, go try on a Vestimenta to see what you think.:)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
CYoung,
I think you'll like the Federation. It was the first hat I fell in love with, and can survive just about any weather condition (except hail and a tornando... that would be Art Fawcett's department! lol ). I still get the occasional compliment on mine, despite being stained and discolored (due to my own mistakes).

Hope you love it!
NB

Feraud

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
Others may protest but the Akubra Fed is basically a cowboy (or Jackaroo) hat in a fedora block & bears only passing resemblance to the fedoras of yesteryear.
I will protest. Look at these pictures from the film D.O.A.
This is what my Akubra Federation looks like. A bit more than a passing resemblance to a vintage hat. ;)
NOIR_DISC3-19.jpg

NOIR_DISC3-52.jpg

NOIR_DISC3-51.jpg

CYoung

New in Town
Thanks - BTW...

I could not find the taupish grey-brown hat you referenced in one of your posts as being in the classifieds area.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are correct sir!

Feraud said:
I will protest. Look at these pictures from the film D.O.A.
This is what my Akubra Federation looks like. A bit more than a passing resemblance to a vintage hat. ;)
NOIR_DISC3-19.jpg

NOIR_DISC3-52.jpg

NOIR_DISC3-51.jpg

GAWD I love that film...& you are right nearly a dead ringer. More specifically the stiffness, texture & thickness (to me) resembles less of what I am accustomed to from a dress hat & more consistent with what I recognize as a western or cowboy hat.

Feraud

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
More specifically the stiffness, texture & thickness (to me) resembles less of what I am accustomed to from a dress hat & more consistent with what I recognize as a western or cowboy hat.
Yes it is a great film!
I agree with the above. The overall feel of a new Akubra is very "cowboy hat" like. The thickness will not go away but they break in nicely.

jsecunda

New in Town
Permission to wear a brown Federation?

So-here's the question:
I spend most of my outdoor life here (late fall to early-mid spring) in a 3/4 black horsehide leather Aero coat. Does a Fedora look good with such a coat? If so, what style? What color? (Did a search, but nothing really relevant popped up)...
Thanks-
js

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner