Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Proper Leather Jacket

Chris Cherry

New in Town
Hi,

I have been lurking on the varying message boards here for longer than I wish to mention but now I have plucked up the courage to stick out a
hand into the torchlight and wave. I am looking to get my first "proper" leather jacket, I've had plenty already and am very fond of 3 of them but all have been under £60 (or around $100 for those in the New World) so have always lacked a little something in the way of quality. I'd quite like to get an Aero but as a student I'm on a limited budget. I'm 6 ft 3 (or just above but rounding will do) and normally take a 40 or 42 size jacket depending on style and how much cheese I've been eating that week. My preferred style is the Aero Highwayman, do you think it worth it getting a used or sale jacket or should I just wait and save. Or do you think I should be looking at a different style? Or a different manufacturer altogether? I'd love to know what you guys think, as it has proved rather helpful in the past.

Thanks,

Kit.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
First things first: How limited is your budget, and what sort of shape are you? The Highwayman, no matter who makes it, is a boxy jacket, unlike a Half-Belt or say a Dustbowl, which are much slimmer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If you were about 5" shorter, your options would be much less limited. My advice would be to save your money and drop by the Aero factory at a future time to be measured and try on what they have in stock. Otherwise, you are likely to buy 3-4 jackets before you even begin to nail down what fits you. I speak from experience. :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I would just start saving up and going with the HWM. Like you, it has always been the jacket I've lusted after the most.
Too many times I've settled for others because they were cheaper or more accessible, but in the back of my mind I always knew the HWM was the only one that would make me truly happy.
Yes, it is a relatively boxy fit compared to other offerings, but it's a boxy that looks good.
The Aero sizing is a labrynth, but many here are glad to assist.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
If you were about 5" shorter, your options would be much less limited. My advice would be to save your money and drop by the Aero factory at a future time to be measured and try on what they have in stock. Otherwise, you are likely to buy 3-4 jackets before you even begin to nail down what fits you. I speak from experience. :D

I agree... take advantage of your student railcard ,and pop-up to the factory.
Don't forget to check-out the trainee-made jackets if you're on a budget.

Chris Cherry

New in Town
Cheers guys, to quickly answer your questions. My Budget is round about £500 at the moment, but I can stretch that after a bit. As for body shape..erm my vanity says thin but broad across the shoulders, whilst my self consciousness says more like a telegraph pole that swallowed a beach ball so I'm going to plump for somewhere in the middle and say mostly skinny but a tad too bulky to fit a close cut jacket like the dustbowl. I might well take the time to pop to the factory, I'm in Edinburgh for a bit soon so I can go then, hopefully all the sale stuff will still be there!

wdw

One Too Many
I agree with eggleman and Fanch. If you possibly can, it's definitely worth the effort and cost to go up there and try some out for yourselves. They always have plenty of HWMs lying around for you to try on. The cost of a trip (in the UK) is nothing compared to the cost and disappointment of getting it wrong,

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I agree try some on and walk around see if they are your thing. If you're new to leather you may find the jackets surprising. Most Aeros are thick leather and don't appeal to everyone. Cool as they look, I personally find their jackets - 3oz and heavier to be uncomfortable for most daily wear. I like them but I don't get much wear out of them. Your lifestyle may impact upon this.

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I would also recommend the jackets made by Alexander Leathers, they still have some left from their sales. Check it out: http://www.alexanderleathers.com/sale.html?limit=25 I particularly like their Dakota in vintage brown steer, but also the Nebraska, their version of the Highwayman, is quite nice. You find quite a few presentations here on the board. Of course, it is not HH, but well made jackets they seem to be.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"The Nebraska, their version of the Highwayman" I think somewhere in Edinburgh an intellectual property lawyer has just pricked up their ears... :D Don Tomaso is absolutely right AL is an option, but if you're at the £500 mark, you're well within the budget for at least Aero on the sale page. Another £150, and you can start indulging your fancies...

Chris Cherry

New in Town
Hmm, I quite like the look of some of the Alexander Leathers stuff, particularly the Roadster. As a supplementary question would you say either the Aero HWM or the Alexander Roadster are larger or small in cut. I tend to layer up on most days so I prefer a bit of extra room for thick shirts and jumpers, or even a hoody on occasions.

schitzo

Suspended
Hmm, I quite like the look of some of the Alexander Leathers stuff, particularly the Roadster. As a supplementary question would you say either the Aero HWM or the Alexander Roadster are larger or small in cut. I tend to layer up on most days so I prefer a bit of extra room for thick shirts and jumpers, or even a hoody on occasions.

I've had both. The highwayman seems to be cut roomier, the roadster is closer fitting

Stand By

One Too Many
Welcome aboard, Chris... good for you for piping up and asking your question.
I would also suggest that a trip to check out the Eastman Leather Clothing supply tent at RAF Duxford on July 12th and 13th may be something to consider. No, there are no Highwayman jackets to be seen of course, but 500 quid puts you in a new ball park from the jackets you've owned, and this will give you a chance to see and feel the different hides and lining materials. You'll be able to try them all on and get an idea of sizing too ... and who knows? You may end up being drawn to another style of jacket altogether... but there's no substitute for trying on a bunch of jackets when an opportunity presents itself and to savour the materials. It's as much about the thrill of the hunt at this point ... so good hunting! :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, American Classics in London's Covent Garden has a nice selection of different makers, including ELC, so could be a good place to start if you're down that way.

Stand By

One Too Many
Good point, Sloan. American Classics! (I wish I could get there too!)

And I would advise saving to buy better first time around: I bought my first flight jacket way back in 1987 when I was a third-year (out of 5) apprentice in my field. I bought an Irvin by Aviation Leathercraft (in the pre-internet research days) and it cost me a whopping 270 quid back then - that was more than an entire month's wage for me back then! Serious cabbage. My mates thought I was nuts to splash that amount of money on a jacket. But I loved it ...
I wore that jacket for 18 years ... so the math on that is: 270 (quid) divided by 18 (years) = 15 quid. 15 pounds per year!
And then I sold it on eBay for 100 quid at the end of that! So the jacket owed me nothing and was serious value-for-money.
All I'm saying is, IMHO, Buy Less, Buy Better. You'll reap the rewards in the end and it's worth saving for.
And by the time you've done some enjoyable research and tried on a bunch of jackets, have determined what style you're after (and which suits you - may not be the same thing!) and the practical aspects you need, have felt the materials to determine which appeal to you and are leaning to one manufacturer you enjoy dealing with as they make doing business a pleasure, you'll be in a good place to make that purchase.
It's a solid investment - so it's worth a recce out to RAF Duxford or London or up to Scotland.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good advice from all above, so many jackets so little time. As Stand By says: "Buy Less, Buy Better". There lies the path to true jacket happiness. When it makes you feel that good every time you wear it, it's worth every penny. As Sloan notes, American Classics is worth a look. I was there a few weeks ago...a great shop with a very knowledgeable owner...some fantastic stock including a few ELC leathers.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would advise using American Classics only as a way of seeing/trying a jacket on, as there's a £50+ mark up on ordering directly from ELC, so I'd imagine it's the same for other makers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR