Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First puggaree

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
This (from Duluth Trading, wool felt made in China, with a cotton(?) sweatband) used to be my stepson's, but he decided he liked my grandfather's old grey fedora better. He likes very narrow brims. So he gave it to me and I added my very first attempt at a puggaree. Maybe lipstick on a pig but I like the way it looks.

IMG_20130719_173942-vi.jpg

I used what I had on hand, which was 7/8" wide synthetic ribbed (not shiny) ribbon. It is quite slippery, so after I re-did it twice, I stuck it together with pins, wiggled it off the hat, and catch-stitched the folds front and back in place from the back, then wiggled it back on the hat.

The ribbon is cream and the hat is dark brown.

When I can find some cotton tape or bother to make some fabric strips, I'll probably re-do it. A less slippery fabric would be much nicer to work with.

I'll use this technique on a giant straw sunhat that has been in the works for years - I don't like the band I put on it, and I think something like this would be much better looking. And fun to do!

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
That's a very neat finish.
Thank you.
When I started it, I just left the starting end sticking up. By the time the wrapping process was finished, I had a good idea of what the pug would look like, so I folded the two ends in behind the wraps so they matched the rest of the wrap as invisibly as possible. When I had the wrap finished, pinned together, and off the hat, I ended up sewing the two ends of the wrap together. They are not going anywhere!
I like fabric crafts so it was quite fun working this out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner