Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first quality-repro leather jacket

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
That helps narrow it down, certainly. In my experience, it's the earlier pre-war / pre-US entry into the war (Americans often refer to anything pre-1942 as 'pre-war', whereas in Europe, the war began in 1939. Doubtless, the Chinese put the date closer 1936.... but that's a whole nother can o' worms) that have the neater fits (though I've not tried on every contract). Also worth finding out which house jackets are slimmer.

Yes, it's a different business model. You might argue that by sticking to off the rack sizes Eastman are closer the original idea of being issued with the QM's idea of what fit you, based on available stock. Eastman don't tend to do things like offer you mix and match knit colour against leather and such - unsurprisingly, as they've built their entire business reputation on doing repops, and the milspec fan crowd can be very unforgiving if they see something that's way off out there. (One of the amusing joys of this hobby is seeing guys in their middle fifties arguing over whose size 48 A2 is the most historically accurate...... yeah.....). Aero do great military jackets (the quality was always there, but the accuracy has improved greatly since Ken took over the reins again in 2012), but as they've really built their reputation more on their civilian jackets they are more open to variation, so they can work with you on measurements, knit colours, leather choice, even leather colour (Carrie at Insurrection in Seattle has a stunning A1 in navy blue Vicenza with cream knits). That's the sort of thing worth bearing in mind when you're looking to choose a manufacturer to buy from new. Neither approach is 'wrong' per se, but both are different, and so might suit different people.

Thanks for letting me know, because I was actually considering an Aero M422a, but as the only color is a very dark brown, I was kind of put off by that. I'd like my jacket to be a lighter brown, more in the shade of the 'havana' brown from Eastman. It'd be great if they would be prepared to use a different color/type of leather. Aero's consumer friendly business model is something that I appreciate as well, certainly if it goes along with making quality jackets

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
Jinkies, you're hardier than me if you can take a Belgian Winter in an M422a!

Well... it might seem weird to say that I like cold temperatures. Is that weird? I don't know, it probably is. Anyhow, the wind bothers me the most instead of the cold temperatures and a leather jacket is the remedy to that, the fact that it looks incredible is a huge bonus of course;)

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
As for ELC vs BK: ELC is more expensive, but you'll be 100% satisfied with the hide and quality. I've read some very negative reviews of BK's horsehide lately - then again, there are some positive ones too. Also, keep in mind that ELC accepts returns, whereas BK doesn't ,as far as I know. o if your ELC doen1t fit you can send it back for exchange, or you can order 2 and keep the one you prefer, and get reimbursed for the other one. ELC has popup stores too, next one is in November. There you can try all contracts/ sizes and see how they fit you.

Thank you for this comparison. I will probably buy an Aero or an eastman, as fluctuations in quality and bad customer service are something that, especially in that price range, isn't acceptable to me. That said, I do not want to condone anyone who buys BK, that is entirely a personal choice.

Edward

Bartender
As for ELC vs BK: ELC is more expensive, but you'll be 100% satisfied with the hide and quality. I've read some very negative reviews of BK's horsehide lately - then again, there are some positive ones too. Also, keep in mind that ELC accepts returns, whereas BK doesn't ,as far as I know. o if your ELC doen1t fit you can send it back for exchange, or you can order 2 and keep the one you prefer, and get reimbursed for the other one. ELC has popup stores too, next one is in November. There you can try all contracts/ sizes and see how they fit you.

They don't take returns? Jinkies, I wonder how they get away with that - subject to *very* limited exceptions, EU consumer law gives customers buying at a distance (including over the web) fourteen days to change their mind and return goods for any reason.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for letting me know, because I was actually considering an Aero M422a, but as the only color is a very dark brown, I was kind of put off by that. I'd like my jacket to be a lighter brown, more in the shade of the 'havana' brown from Eastman. It'd be great if they would be prepared to use a different color/type of leather. Aero's consumer friendly business model is something that I appreciate as well, certainly if it goes along with making quality jackets

That daker colour - seal brown, as it's usually known - was the standard, only colour in which the originals were made, buy yeah there are a lot of other hides on offer there. A 'gold' (blondeish) mouton collar would look nice with a lighter brown hide.

Mich486

One Too Many
I had an Aero m422a made out of Black Vicenza. If you ask they will do it in every colour available (only mid weight hides though not CXL).

I had a civilian label put onto it though which might be bothering you. I reckon though if you’d go for say a russet jerky or seal brown they might as well put on the correct contract tag. Better to ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregGale

One of the Regulars
As far as I understood you can only return if it's faulty. But I may have misunderstood their policy.

Mich486

One Too Many
As far as I understood you can only return if it's faulty. But I may have misunderstood their policy.

Yeah maybe you are right. Anyway I think they have to for non-customised jackets as they operate within the EU.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah maybe you are right. Anyway I think they have to for non-customised jackets as they operate within the EU.

Customised goods do fall within the exceptions - they qualify as 'made to order'. For anything stock, however, where EU law applies, you have the right to send it back and claim your money back - though unless the retailer volunteers to do otherwise, you can only claim back the original costs, and must pay for the shipping yourself. You have fourteen days from the point of notifying the seller to do so. If, on the other hand, the goods are faulty on arrival, you have 30 days to send them back, and the seller must refund the shipping. The basic idea is that the consumer should have the right to change their minds about goods bought by distance selling (including, but not limited to, online) which may not live up to the promise of the catalogue. On this basis, you have the right to return for any reason - and the manufacturer cannot refuse.

As noted, goods, including leather jackets, made to order which may be to a very specific set of dimensions, or a specific leather colour and design, can be exempted. Again, this is aimed at trying to create as fair a balance between the parties as possible.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I have an Eastman G-1. As far as I’m concerned it’s the best jacket money can buy (well, maybe apart from a Vanson Enfield, but that’s another story...) The bi-swing back makes it very easy to wear, the mouton collar looks cool and keeps your neck warm, although as was said it can be a bit too warm in summer, the many pockets are very functional and the goatskin is indestructible. If you prefer your leather with patina ELMC make a great looking horsehide G-1.

The G-1 and Vanson are my two most recent jackets by the way, which might explain why I’m still geeking over them...

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
I have an Eastman G-1. As far as I’m concerned it’s the best jacket money can buy (well, maybe apart from a Vanson Enfield, but that’s another story...) The bi-swing back makes it very easy to wear, the mouton collar looks cool and keeps your neck warm, although as was said it can be a bit too warm in summer, the many pockets are very functional and the goatskin is indestructible. If you prefer your leather with patina ELMC make a great looking horsehide G-1.

The G-1 and Vanson are my two most recent jackets by the way, which might explain why I’m still geeking over them...

Eastman has quite the reputation for making stunning jackets it seems! Did the 'normal' sizes as opposed to the custom sizes pose a problem for you when you were ordering the jacket?

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Eastman has quite the reputation for making stunning jackets it seems! Did the 'normal' sizes as opposed to the custom sizes pose a problem for you when you were ordering the jacket?
No I’m 5’11 so the standard size fits me fine, there is a bit of tunneling in the sleeves but it’s not so bad.

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
While going through different types of jackets I just stumbled upon the Aero ANJ-4. What can I say, I am just amazed. The best looking sheepskin jacket I've ever seen! This one might just top the other two for me, the only concern is that it might be too hot and that I might not be able to wear it as much...

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
No I’m 5’11 so the standard size fits me fine, there is a bit of tunneling in the sleeves but it’s not so bad.

I've already gone through their size chart, but i do not understand why it states that I am a size 44 regular when my normal jacket size (well, in cloth tailored pieces at least) is 38-40...

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I've already gone through their size chart, but i do not understand why it states that I am a size 44 regular when my normal jacket size (well, in cloth tailored pieces at least) is 38-40...

I wear a 44 and I have a 43 inch chest, there’s room for me to layer as well. You sound more like a 40 maybe. Have a look around to find the pit to pit measurement of a 40 and go from there.

While going through different types of jackets I just stumbled upon the Aero ANJ-4. What can I say, I am just amazed. The best looking sheepskin jacket I've ever seen! This one might just top the other two for me, the only concern is that it might be too hot and that I might not be able to wear it as much...

I have an Aero ANJ-4 and it’s a fantastic jacket. It’s really too warm to wear in winter unless the temperature is less than 10 celsius or so. Check out the Aero Thunderbay, you could wear that in the mid teens. I was thinking of trading in my ANJ-4 towards a Thunderbay in goat but I didn’t have the heart... would have been a fantastic jacket though...

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
I wear a 44 and I have a 43 inch chest, there’s room for me to layer as well. You sound more like a 40 maybe. Have a look around to find the pit to pit measurement of a 40 and go from there.

Will do, but I'll probably need the L version then because I'm 6'1

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have an Aero ANJ-4 and it’s a fantastic jacket. It’s really too warm to wear in winter unless the temperature is less than 10 celsius or so. Check out the Aero Thunderbay, you could wear that in the mid teens. I was thinking of trading in my ANJ-4 towards a Thunderbay in goat but I didn’t have the heart... would have been a fantastic jacket though...
100% true.
I have an Aero B-3 and a shearling lined LHB; the B-3 is too warm even at temperatures around freezing point; the LHB, although really warm, can be worn also around 10c, mainly due to the cordo lined sleeves;it looks nicer as well.

thedebonair

One of the Regulars

Here in Belgium it frequently gets below 10 celsius during wintertime, which is a good thing for me:) As i have no experience with sheepskin jackets -and lining- I do not know how warm it truly is. But I certainly like the look of it, it has a really trim and neat fit for such a big jacket. If I'm being honest I'll probably get more wear out of an M422a, but there's something about the ANJ-4 that's just incredible.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Will do, but I'll probably need the L version then because I'm 6'1
Check out AVI as well, they make a stonking G-1 and it’s good value. They don’t seem to offer long sizes but at 6’1 you might get away with it, and I’m sure they offer a normal return policy, in comparison with Eastman anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21