Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Time Hat Buyer Info Thread - A Compendeum of Advice

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
The only way I can wear a stingy or a porkpie is to plop it in the back of my head with the brim almost standing straight up. If I try to wear one flat on my head I look horrible. That is why I won't even buy a hat with less than a 2-1/4 brim. Some people look great in them. I simply don't.

fmw

One Too Many
The green should go well with black, gray or brown suits. It is actually a very flexible color. It's a nice hat. Congratulations.

fmw

One Too Many
By the way, I enjoyed going through the John Helmer web site. I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the Alpenrose Dairy hat. I remember the Alpenrose man delivering milk when we lived in Portland in the 50's. That was a blast from the past. A very nice haberdashery, by the way.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
For me, nothing under 2 1/2" brim width, and I wear a 3" or better more often than not (Stylemaster @ 2 1/2" and Squatter @ 3" & Bushman @ 3 1/4" ) .

Stylemaster:

11-8-10009.jpg

Squatter:

11-8-10004.jpg

Bushman:

Bushman1-1.jpg

Onward thru the Fog :)

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I think all my brown hats have a black ribbon...and come to think if it..I usually wear them with my brown leather jacket! I honestly never made the Indy connection till I heard it mentioned here in the Lounge. Even when I've got my bullwhip on...no one has ever made any comments!!!!

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks Danny! I don't work in a field where the men dress well. It's pretty blue collar in the construction trades with most wearing little better than rags. Most of my business associates look like homeless bums that just crawled out from under the bridge. Here's a good one...I recently tried to implement a work uniform for my men, just a simple blue button down and dark blue carhart pant. Most threatened to quit their job including my business partner!
What an irresponsible reaction from your partner & workers.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks good hottoddy. Is that 'Bluegrass Green"? Everything Australian has the BG Stylemaster listed as one of their options, albeit with the three month wait. While we see lots of BG Camp Drafts on this forum (and for very good reason!), I do not remember anyone ever posting a green Stylemaster.

Yeah, I am certain that is bluegrass green. There aren't many pics of it on the Lounge, good ones at least, except for this one by Benny Holiday in a thread called "Bluegrass Green Stylemaster?":

Benny Holiday said:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
What an irresponsible reaction from your partner & workers.
It's the age we live in, too many people shopping at Walmart in their jammies, slippers and ...baseball hats!

I think the green hat goes best with browns and tans, I never feel quite right when I wear my green stetson with grey, and conversly not quite right when I've got my grey stetson with my brown coat.

hottoddy

New in Town
@Gromulus,

John Helmer advertises it simply as "green." I looked everywhere inside the hat but couldn't find any codes. I would describe it as a fairly medium green - not overly light or dark. I'd assume it's the same green felt used on other Akubra models (eg, "bluegrass green"), but don't know for sure.

Here's a quick cell phone picture I took outside today. As usual, it was a cloudy day here but still captures the color better than an indoor flash picture. The hat still feels a bit big on me, but I'm try to acclimate.

5382304957_1c97814564.jpg

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Acclimating to Portland weather?! Is that possible?! That's a really great shade of green, and it even matches the greenery of the background. That's what I miss about OR, all the greenery!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Here's a quick cell phone picture I took outside today. As usual, it was a cloudy day here but still captures the color better than an indoor flash picture. The hat still feels a bit big on me, but I'm try to acclimate.

5382304957_1c97814564.jpg

That looks great, the Stylemaster's dimensions work well for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto