Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fish Keeping?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Anyone keep fish? I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank but im thinking about setting up a salt.

Mojito

One Too Many
I do, Vermifuge. I'm down to one set-up at the moment - 60 gallons with predominantly PNG and Oz Rainbowfish (with a couple of clown loaches). I've also thought from time to time of branching into marine, but don't have the time or space to devote to it.

Elaina

One Too Many
I have Bait, the suicidal goldfish that wants to be petted with one fin that my monster cat and the peach terror kitten try to eat.

although he's just in a decorative bowl-type thing, my son got him from a school project in a cup, and even I'm not sure why he's alive.

Fish, are for me, like plants: if they live it's in spite of me, not because of me.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
I have Bait, the suicidal goldfish that wants to be petted with one fin that my monster cat and the peach terror kitten try to eat.

although he's just in a decorative bowl-type thing, my son got him from a school project in a cup, and even I'm not sure why he's alive.

Fish, are for me, like plants: if they live it's in spite of me, not because of me.
When I was like 8 I won this goldfish from the local school carnival. I always thought these fish lasted a few days at best. But hat fish lived in good health for nearly 8 years. Then one day I noticed he wasn’t doing so well. I hadn’t done anything out of the norm so I figured it was just his time.

I didn’t want him to suffer so I ground up a little aspirin and sprinkled it into the water. I had no idea what I was doing but as luck would have it he was back to normal the next day. He made it another two years or so after that.

Never knew those fish could last so long.

I'd like to buy a fish licence!

Fish Licence
Customer:
Hello, I would like to buy a fish license, please.

Shopkeeper:
A what?

Customer:
A license for my pet fish, Eric.

Shopkeeper:
How did you know my name was Eric?

Customer:
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut.

Shopkeeper:
What?

Customer:
He is...an...halibut.

Shopkeeper:
You've got a pet halibut?

Customer:
Yes. I chose him out of thousands. I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Shopkeeper:
You must be a looney.

Customer:
I am not a looney! Why should I be tied with the epithet looney merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabardo has a pet prawn called Simon and you wouldn't call him a looney; furthermore, Dawn Pailthorpe, the lady show-jumper, had a clam, called Stafford, after the late Chancellor, Allan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an haddock! So, if you're calling the author of 'A la recherche du temps perdu' a looney, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

Shopkeeper:
Alright, alright, alright. A license.

Customer:
Yes.

Shopkeeper:
For a fish.

Customer:
Yes.

Shopkeeper:
You are a looney.

Customer:
Look, it's a bleeding pet, isn't it? I've got a license for me pet dog Eric, and I've got a license for me pet cat Eric...

Shopkeeper:
You don't need a license for your cat.

Customer:
I bleeding well do and I got one. He can't be called Eric without it--

Shopkeeper:
There's no such thing as a bloody cat license.

Customer:
Yes there is!

Shopkeeper:
Isn't!

Customer:
Is!

Shopkeeper:
Isn't!

Customer:
I bleeding got one, look! What's that then?

Shopkeeper:
This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and 'cat' written in in crayon.

Customer:
The man didn't have the right form.

Shopkeeper:
What man?

Customer:
The man from the cat detector van.

Shopkeeper:
The looney detector van, you mean.

Customer:
Look, it's people like you what cause unrest.

Shopkeeper:
What cat detector van?

Customer:
The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge.

Shopkeeper:
Housinge?

Customer:
It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant!. I never seen so many bleeding aerials. The man said that their equipment could pinpoint a purr at four hundred yards! And Eric, being such a happy cat, was a piece of cake.

Shopkeeper:
How much did you pay for this?

Customer:
Sixty quid, and eight for the fruit-bat.

Shopkeeper:
What fruit-bat?

Customer:
Eric the fruit-bat.

Shopkeeper:
Are all your pets called Eric?

Customer:
There's nothing so odd about that: Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul!

Shopkeeper:
No he didn't!

Customer:
Did!

Shopkeeper:
Didn't!

Customer:
Did, did, did, did, did and did!

Shopkeeper:
Oh, all right.

Customer:
Spoken like a gentleman, sir. Now, are you going to give me a fish license?

Shopkeeper:
I promise you that there is no such thing. You don't need one.

Customer:
In that case, give me a bee license.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Big Salt

I had a salt tank for a while and the fish are really colorful and beautiful, well worth the extra effort of a salt tank.
Get the biggest salt tank you can afford. Not only is there more room for fish, but it's easier to maintain. The salinity of the water constantly changes in a salt tank and has to be periodically adjusted, but changes more slowly is a larger tank. Have fun.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Tommy Fedora said:
I had a salt tank for a while and the fish are really colorful and beautiful, well worth the extra effort of a salt tank.
Get the biggest salt tank you can afford. Not only is there more room for fish, but it's easier to maintain. The salinity of the water constantly changes in a salt tank and has to be periodically adjusted, but changes more slowly is a larger tank. Have fun.

Was thinking of ~100 gallon corner unit

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had freshwater since I was a kid and only recently quit having fish. Salt is a different deal. A couple friends of mine went to salt and found the extreme work involved not to their liking after a year or so. In general the fish are way more expensive also. I wouldn't discourage you but know going in that there is extra work over a fresh water set up.;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I had three fan-tailed gold fish and a Fighting Fish. This was six years ago.
Two of my gold fish ate the fins from the third. I took him out and put him in a shallow bowl so he would be upright. I put flakes in front of his mouth and his fins grew back, but never like before. I bought him his own bowl and named him "Goofy Fish," since it is kind of strange that his fins grew back.

The rest of the fish killed each other within six months. Goofy Fish is still alive and well and swimming in his bowl back in Boston. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24