Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check - Aero 1930s Half Belt size 42

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, everyone

I'm here again on my quest for fit feedbacks. This time, I gathered what I learnt from my last fiasco in the shape of a fake Highwayman, and searched here in the forum for something in similar measurements and style. At that point, I decided I wanted a Premier Highwayman, but saw this one here and decided it was a good alternative. I'm really glad I did!

20230315_102522.jpg

Great jacket, overall. Nice CXL steerhide, already broken in, with Lochcarron lightweight wool lining on the body and what I assume to be cotton twill on the arms. This one was made for Thurston Bros, and has (what I believe to be) a custom August collar. Gives it a Premier 1930s HB look to it. Also has a diamond pull on the chest pocket.

This one is a size 42 with the following measurements:

Pit to pit: 22.5 in (57.5 cm)
Shoulder: 17.74 in (45 cm)
Hem: 21.75 in (55 cm)
Sleeves: 26 in (66 cm)
Back: 25.75 in (65.5 cm)
Front drop: 2 in (5 cm)

So here are the fit pics:

20230315_175822~2.jpg
20230315_175908~2.jpg
20230315_180034~2.jpg
20230315_180026~2.jpg
20230315_175950~2.jpg
20230315_175952~2.jpg

I really like how this one fits, the shoulder feels just right, and I have plenty of space on chest area so I can move freely. I feel the sleeves are about 1 in too long, while the upper arm is a little too baloon-y.

What are your opinions? For real, give me your feedback! I wanna learn!

Thanks folks!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hey, everyone

I'm here again on my quest for fit feedbacks. This time, I gathered what I learnt from my last fiasco in the shape of a fake Highwayman, and searched here in the forum for something in similar measurements and style. At that point, I decided I wanted a Premier Highwayman, but saw this one here and decided it was a good alternative. I'm really glad I did!

View attachment 498272

Great jacket, overall. Nice CXL steerhide, already broken in, with Lochcarron lightweight wool lining on the body and what I assume to be cotton twill on the arms. This one was made for Thurston Bros, and has (what I believe to be) a custom August collar. Gives it a Premier 1930s HB look to it. Also has a diamond pull on the chest pocket.

This one is a size 42 with the following measurements:

Pit to pit: 22.5 in (57.5 cm)
Shoulder: 17.74 in (45 cm)
Hem: 21.75 in (55 cm)
Sleeves: 26 in (66 cm)
Back: 25.75 in (65.5 cm)
Front drop: 2 in (5 cm)

So here are the fit pics:

View attachment 498279
View attachment 498278
View attachment 498277
View attachment 498276
View attachment 498275
View attachment 498274

I really like how this one fits, the shoulder feels just right, and I have plenty of space on chest area so I can move freely. I feel the sleeves are about 1 in too long, while the upper arm is a little too baloon-y.

What are your opinions? For real, give me your feedback! I wanna learn!

Thanks folks!

If you really like the way it fits, Just rock it. I think the arms are long and a little too wide. However, The overall fit is good. I always have trouble with sleeve length in most jackets.

mvilla

A-List Customer
If you really like the way it fits, Just rock it. I think the arms are long and a little too wide. However, The overall fit is good. I always have trouble with sleeve length in most jackets.
Yeah, I agree with both things. I believe the Premier arms would work better for me. Thanks!

P.S.: yeah, I'll keep on wearing this one, the rest of the fit really pleased me

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps a bit long in the torso (1 inch?), but not a problem if you don’t mind it. Goes well enough with low-waisted pants.
Some may say, arms are a tad long, but they would be well within ,y tolerance.

Rest is spot on; I don’t think arms are too balloony either.

jeo

One Too Many
Perhaps a bit long in the torso (1 inch?), but not a problem if you don’t mind it. Goes well enough with low-waisted pants.
Some may say, arms are a tad long, but they would be well within ,y tolerance.

Rest is spot on; I don’t think arms are too balloony either.
Was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it!

IMO anytime a half belt covers your entire front pocket and in the back it covers the top of the back pockets it’ll look long.

I would also try to get that collar to spread out. I think it’ll look way better like that.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, guys! Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate your inputs. Your opinions is more or less what I already had noticed. I don't dislike the extra length of the torso, though...
Now, the sleeve length can be fixed, I think. I feel I could reduce it by about 1 in and it would be perfect. Do you know if Aero can do this job? I might need to replace the zipper, so perhaps I could take advantage of the trip and have it shortened.
What about the rest of the fit? Any remarks?

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Peter Gabriel, is that you?!

The fit looks good to me. If you love the jacket, I'd say an ill fit is out of the question. If all of the subjective allowances are to your liking, wear it happily and don't overthink it!

[Edit: or, if you have the funds and inclination, you can have it modified. I personally would proceed with caution, as alterations have made me like a piece of clothing more as often as like it less]

Hey, guys! Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate your inputs. Your opinions is more or less what I already had noticed. I don't dislike the extra length of the torso, though...
Now, the sleeve length can be fixed, I think. I feel I could reduce it by about 1 in and it would be perfect. Do you know if Aero can do this job? I might need to replace the zipper, so perhaps I could take advantage of the trip and have it shortened.
What about the rest of the fit? Any remarks?
The jacket looks great, I would not bother altering it at all. It's a touch long in the body but it seems Thurston Bros is fixated on turning every halfbelt into a plainsman. But I wouldn't sweat it. It looks great as is. You can learn exactly what to spec in your next jacket and still have a beautiful, perfectly wearable and gorgeous fitting (slightly longer) HB in this one right here.

marker2037

Practically Family
I think it fits you great as well. Is it a little long? Perhaps, but fit is subjective and I've also found that you can have a variety of fits and lengths to suit different outfits and times of the year. I would not have any adjustments made on this. Make your next jacket shorter and you can have a jacket for differing looks and weather.

mvilla

A-List Customer
The jacket looks great, I would not bother altering it at all. It's a touch long in the body but it seems Thurston Bros is fixated on turning every halfbelt into a plainsman. But I wouldn't sweat it. It looks great as is. You can learn exactly what to spec in your next jacket and still have a beautiful, perfectly wearable and gorgeous fitting (slightly longer) HB in this one right here.
Hey, thanks for that! It is a tad long, indeed, but with a lower rise pair of jeans, it sits just right. I really like it's looks, indeed! The only thing I'd change would be the sleeve length, but I'm not upset about it at all.

I think it fits you great as well. Is it a little long? Perhaps, but fit is subjective and I've also found that you can have a variety of fits and lengths to suit different outfits and times of the year. I would not have any adjustments made on this. Make your next jacket shorter and you can have a jacket for differing looks and weather.
Thanks, mate! Yeah, I agree with that. I like the idea of having jackets different characteristics to play with. For now, though, this will be my everyday jacket :)

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Looks good, that's the problem with stiffer leather is that they don't drape, so you either have to go with a restrictive tailored fit, or have it look a little ballooned as they do in your sleeves. Imo it looks great and should look better as it softens up and breaks in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ