Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check: Aero x Thurston Bros. Sheene in blackened brown Vicenza

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
Thanks to forum member @Thebuzzard I acquired my first Aero jacket yesterday. I had been considering purchasing the Sheene in something very close to this make-up as my first new jacket, but this one in the classifieds was so close to what I was going to order new that I couldn't pass it up. It might be just a touch tight in the chest and waist—still working on cutting down another 5–10 pounds over the next few months. Curious as to what the expert opinions from TFL are on the fit for me. Thanks in advance for any comments and criticisms!

Pics:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Looks awesome. If I were to go for a custom one I'd spec slightly narrower shoulders and slightly shorter sleeves. And a bit more in the chest and waist if you say it feels tight. But the weight loss should help - good luck with that.
And most importantly - congratulations on your first Aero! I'm also waiting for my first Aero jacket, should come in about a month :)

newtojackets

Practically Family
Looks great. Only 2 comments from me:

1) what’s the length? It seems to err on the short side

2) This may not suit your style, but imo this jacket would look better when worn with slimmer jeans. I think the shortness of the jacket and the slimness of the sleeves means that currently the jeans are drawing too much focus (though this is just my opinion)

IMG_8144.gif

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
Looks awesome. If I were to go for a custom one I'd spec slightly narrower shoulders and slightly shorter sleeves. And a bit more in the chest and waist if you say it feels tight. But the weight loss should help - good luck with that.
And most importantly - congratulations on your first Aero! I'm also waiting for my first Aero jacket, should come in about a month :)
Thanks! I’m down 40 lbs from my high point and up about 7 from my (recent) lowest, but I’d like to cut down to 12–14% body fat, which is maybe 10–15 below current weight. If I get there this will definitely fit perfect.

chemprofjspencer

New in Town

2) This may not suit your style, but imo this jacket would look better when worn with slimmer jeans. I think the shortness of the jacket and the slimness of the sleeves means that currently the jeans are drawing too much focus (though this is just my opinion)
I haven’t measured it yet, but I think it was listed at 26”. My torso is a little on the long side, so I usually have wear higher rise trousers to get the proportions right. If it is 26” it wears shorter than it is, I think. I like it.

I’m not in disagreement on this pair of jeans. Only really did this combo for a few pics today as it’s far too hot and humid to wear the jacket here right now. I don’t dislike the wider cut with this jacket, but I think a little slimmer would work as well or better. I’m trying to fade this denim pretty hard right now, but I’ll probably pair this with a regular straight fit Oni secret denim pair in the fall.

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
Huh I think the length looks great, but slimmer jeans would better suit the jacket. Hah the reason I sold it was my acceptance of not losing the ten.. twenty pounds it would take to fit it as well as you do now! Enjoy bud!
As someone who’s gone on the weight roller coaster as part of fatherhood, I encourage you to motivate yourself to get it done sooner than later. I’ve lost significant weight a few times in my life, and this time it took literally 5 times longer than it did 10 years ago, even on the same workout/diet routine. I’m committed this time to never gaining it back because I’m not sure I’ll ever have the will/drive to lose it again if I do and my health was taking a hit.

Thanks for the jacket, it’s exactly what I hoped!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

The jeans bring it together; slim jeans make you look like a holdover from 2010 hipsterism. Straight legs are both 'in' and actually suit workwear/leather jackets/etc with perhaps the sole exception of certain 70s styles.

Incidentally, are these Canes, OP?

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
The jeans bring it together; slim jeans make you look like a holdover from 2010 hipsterism. Straight legs are both 'in' and actually suit workwear/leather jackets/etc with perhaps the sole exception of certain 70s styles.

Incidentally, are these Canes, OP?
While I agree, I do think a slightly trimmer look here would be nice as well. My Oni 288 pair have an 8.25” leg opening and is a straight cut, while these are at 9” even. I don’t think anyone would convincingly argue that the Oni is a slim or skinny cut, though it is slimmer than these, obviously. Still, I bet they look good together.

These aren’t Sugar Cane. They are actually Bronson. I wanted to try a wider silhouette but didn’t want to shell out for the higher end Japanese denim or they simply were sold out everywhere. I had some Bronson shirts that I was impressed by, and wanted to try some of their denim just to see. They’re actually fairly amazing at the price point. I’m going to buy some TCB in the future to compare/contrast. I’ll likely never spend the money on OOE or One Piece of Rock, as I’m not that into repros. More interested in whacky and unusual fabric, which is why I like Oni.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I agree, I do think a slightly trimmer look here would be nice as well. My Oni 288 pair have an 8.25” leg opening and is a straight cut, while these are at 9” even. I don’t think anyone would convincingly argue that the Oni is a slim or skinny cut, though it is slimmer than these, obviously. Still, I bet they look good together.

These aren’t Sugar Cane. They are actually Bronson. I wanted to try a wider silhouette but didn’t want to shell out for the higher end Japanese denim or they simply were sold out everywhere. I had some Bronson shirts that I was impressed by, and wanted to try some of their denim just to see. They’re actually fairly amazing at the price point. I’m going to buy some TCB in the future to compare/contrast. I’ll likely never spend the money on OOE or One Piece of Rock, as I’m not that into repros. More interested in whacky and unusual fabric, which is why I like Oni.

Slightly slimmer would be fine. Just warning against going too slim.

With the current weak yen, the Sugar Cane 1947 is a great value. TCB is fantastic as well.

I like and own Oni too but SC is my go to.

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
Slightly slimmer would be fine. Just warning against going too slim.

With the current weak yen, the Sugar Cane 1947 is a great value. TCB is fantastic as well.

I like and own Oni too but SC is my go to.

I want to pick up a SC Type 1 (or triple pleated blouse if they make one). I've got a pair of Buzz chinos (1942 model) and they are great. Also have some Whitesville tees that I like okay.

The Bronson is surprisingly good. Raw, unsanforized, so you get the shrink to fit experience (I understand a one wash takes the guess work out, but it also robs part of the repro experience IMO). The denim is solid, nice and fuzzy, but not necessarily exciting (not sure than any repro denim is really that interesting compared to modern textured denims). It does have good fading potential—the hems should have some nice roping, their will be nice train tracks, the leg twist is appropriate, etc. The sewing is good. I went for the 44 WW2 model because of the interesting details. No rivets on the coin pocket. The rivets are punch through rivets (you get the nice little stands of denim worked around where the rivets are punched through), raised/ridged belt loops, etc.

I don't really know how the red tag/arcuates laws work (I've seen plenty of Japanese repros with red tabs on them), but somehow Bronson gets away with the red tag and painted on arcuates that are period accurate for the WW2 trousers. Bronson doesn't do sewn arcuates on any of their other models, so it must be something to do with the painted on arcuates that allow them to get away with it with this model. If you are okay with the made in China issue (and I understand why many are not), I think it's hard to beat the Bronson repros, especially considering the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner