Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on Aero Sheene please??

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks great as a trim jacket but it sounds like what you really want is something with a little more mobility.

Believe me, I've wrestled with too many jackets hoping and actively trying to stretch them out a bit here and there but they never really do it to a significant degree and I've sold them all eventually.

If it isn't what you want deep down, return it now or you'll lose money selling it later.

Aloysius

As Aloysius indicated, you may be wandering into dangerous waters here that lead to more than one jacket. It happens to pretty much everyone here. Be very careful.

This is true, but I didn’t quite mean that (in this case).

I recently got a really beautiful and snug cafe racer while visiting Vanson. I love it! But it would have made a terrible first or primary leather jacket. It is only useful because I have a lot of alternative outerwear and can exclusively wear it on less-cold days when I know I won’t really need pockets or anything.

Robson

Familiar Face
Aero's natural CXL front quarter horsehide is the thickest CXL at the moment. I have a Hooch Hauler in that leather, it needs work to make it comfortable, it will fit a lot better when its broken in. The natural CXL is absolute beautiful leather and worth the extra effort of breaking it in.

ForeverWandering

New in Town
People have discussed the details of sizing already so I won’t repeat them. This part tells me you need to upsize or change model.

Having a ‘racing shirt’ type fit where you can only wear it over a tee is fine for someone who has tons of jackets in circulation, not for someone who wants a versatile lifetime jacket.
I have entirely too many jackets. A bunch of Iron Heart type 3's, an N1 deck jacket, a wool blanket lined waxed canvas, thigh length down puffy....trying to determine where this sits in rotation.

I hate to sound too vain, but as I ogled myself wearing this, I sorta don't give a damn whether it'll be a thin shirt only jacket! It feels impenetrable, isn't uncomfortable anywhere, and there's something strangely comforting about wearing THICK leather like this. I feel like I'm being gently hugged by a leather-clad giant and I dig it.

The jacket probably has less than 2" of space anywhere on it, and I suspect as it breaks in the fit will grow more comfortable and accommodating.

It really is a gorgeous leather and I think it'll pair really well with my engineers, a grey tee and a pair of nicely faded denim.

This community ROCKS, and y'all definitely know your stuff. Thanks to everyone who replied, and I'll report back with some wear updates!!

Aloysius

I hate to sound too vain, but as I ogled myself wearing this, I sorta don't give a damn whether it'll be a thin shirt only jacket! It feels impenetrable, isn't uncomfortable anywhere, and there's something strangely comforting about wearing THICK leather like this. I feel like I'm being gently hugged by a leather-clad giant and I dig it.

If this is the case, go for it. I made the warning because for some reason cafe racer jackets have been extremely trendy lately and many people buy them only to realize it's not the jacket for them. The other thing was that the pattern that this jacket is made on either fits people great or terribly, with little in between, so I just wanted to make sure it fits you. (The Board Racer/Seven pattern is a bit more consistent, but on the flip side not as dramatic of a shape.)

Given that you're pretty covered for warm and summer jackets, it sounds like this fits in pretty ideally to your wardrobe, covering that middle ground that leather is well suited to.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
you might want to think about a different leather. CXL can be a real bear on a slim fitting jacket. For me CXL really only works with a couple of their styles, like a regular highwayman or one of their crosszip MC jackets. Maybe think about Vicenza or one of their other hides. That same jacket in Vicenza will feel roomier and more comfortable

126610LN

New in Town
That's a good looking jacket! I saw it when I window shopped the website and quickly dismissed it. Their pictures don't do it justice.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Nice jacket. You and I are about the same size. Really no need to pay too much attention to the tags.... for me I'm generally a 44, but it's absolutely all about the measurements.

But even then fit can be a crapshoot. Welcome to the madness! ;)

ForeverWandering

New in Town
Thanks Morrison! Have a somewhat disappointing update.... while wearing the jacket I started noticing two things.

1) It seemed to be loosening anywhere that was overly tight, &
2) The coat's weight seems to be hanging from the back of my neck, as opposed to draping from my shoulders.

After a few hours I felt a growing discomfort at the base of my head and am fairly certain my physique is not allowing it to hang as intended.

While I'm willing to go through some snugness to get to an ideal fit, pressure on the spine is a hard stop for me.

Looks like this'll be listed on eBay for someone else to try out. Really bummed as I love the leather, but I'm not rolling dice on spinal pressure to wear a jacket.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Thanks Morrison! Have a somewhat disappointing update.... while wearing the jacket I started noticing two things.

2) The coat's weight seems to be hanging from the back of my neck, as opposed to draping from my shoulders.

After a few hours I felt a growing discomfort at the base of my head and am fairly certain my physique is not allowing it to hang as intended.

While I'm willing to go through some snugness to get to an ideal fit, pressure on the spine is a hard stop for me.

Looks like this'll be listed on eBay for someone else to try out. Really bummed as I love the leather, but I'm not rolling dice on spinal pressure to wear a jacket.

Sorry to hear, but it happens as I mentioned. Maybe throw it up for sale here and give TFL first dibs at it.

trainspotter

A-List Customer

This is a very unfortunate issue with some Aero patterns. I felt it on the Cafe Racer, Premier Highwayman and STF Bootlegger. Didn't find it prominent in the Board Racer

sshack

A-List Customer
I had same issue with my Aero jackets. I enjoyed taking it off more than putting it on.

Ditto how, Aero jackets seem to press down on the back neck/collar area. I used to think this only affected guys who were broad shouldered and thick necked-- but @borisna doesnt seem to have an issue with this and that dude is a powerlifter!

But just on aesthetics-- thumbs up!

Last edited:

Aloysius

This is what I was getting at here:

The other thing was that the pattern that this jacket is made on either fits people great or terribly, with little in between, so I just wanted to make sure it fits you.
(The Board Racer/Seven pattern is a bit more consistent, but on the flip side not as dramatic of a shape.)

Conceivably you could exchange for the Board Racer version. If you went through Thurston you can even exchange for a Vanson.

The Schott 673, 141, 688, and 689 would also be really nice options for you.

morrison2951

Practically Family
I had same issue with my Aero jackets. I enjoyed taking it off more than putting it on.

Ditto how, Aero jackets seem to press down on the back neck/collar area. I used to think this only affected guys who were broad shouldered and thick necked-- but @borisna doesnt seem to have an issue with this and that dude is a powerlifter!

But just on aesthetics-- thumbs up!

Yep. Aero CXL FQHH is HEAVY. Maybe try their Bainbridge, Vancouver, etc cowhide which seems to be considerably lighter weight.

ForeverWandering

New in Town
This is what I was getting at here:

Conceivably you could exchange for the Board Racer version. If you went through Thurston you can even exchange for a Vanson.

The Schott 673, 141, 688, and 689 would also be really nice options for you.
Man what sucks is that it simply took a few days for the hide to settle enough for me to notice this drawback/design issue for my build. Initially there was no pressure but (I believe) as the leather relaxed a bit the weight settled.

I'm a pretty big guy myself (who backpacks a lot!) and I'm good with carrying 70+lbs for several weeks straight...but I'm not pushing on the base of my neck for anything.

What I find equally vexing is I can wear pretty much anything and fit it well. I'm not heavy and have a good silhouette to me...this is super weird and quite a bummer as I'm well past any available return window thru Thurston Bros by now.

I'm in at $1100 basically - what's a fair market rate and the process for moving in here (safely) on FDL?

Edited to say I appreciate the suggestions and will check them out when traveling and have a Schott store accessible.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The theory I subscribe to regarding neck pressure in certain jackets is that patterns were optimized for bike riding. It is not only Aero; I had a Taubers cafe racer, which, while light, exerted pressure on my neck. No other jacket ever did, so it is not my build, which is about as slim-average as can be.

ForeverWandering

New in Town
Man what sucks is that it simply took a few days for the hide to settle enough for me to notice this drawback/design issue for my build. Initially there was no pressure but (I believe) as the leather relaxed a bit the weight settled.

I'm a pretty big guy myself (who backpacks a lot!) and I'm good with carrying 70+lbs for several weeks straight...but I'm not pushing on the base of my neck for anything.

What I find equally vexing is I can wear pretty much anything and fit it well. I'm not heavy and have a good silhouette to me...this is super weird and quite a bummer as I'm well past any available return window thru Thurston Bros by now.

I'm in at $1100 basically - what's a fair market rate and the process for moving in here (safely) on FDL?

Edited
Yep. Aero CXL FQHH is HEAVY. Maybe try their Bainbridge, Vancouver, etc cowhide which seems to be considerably lighter weight.
Nah man methinks this is not the cut for me based on this. Even if the jacket weighed half this HH I'd still not want 2-3lbs pressing against the base of my neck. It seems....ill advised, based on the little physiology I know!

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
the sheene is based on the cafe racer right? I had that hanging off my neckbone feeling with my aero cafe racer. for what it's worth, i've had a few of their styles and the cafe racer was the only style that felt like that.

Aloysius

the sheene is based on the cafe racer right? I had that hanging off my neckbone feeling with my aero cafe racer. for what it's worth, i've had a few of their styles and the cafe racer was the only style that felt like that.

Yep, that's why when he posted his initial fit check, I said to make double sure he feels it fits right because it's the most finnicky pattern.

trainspotter

A-List Customer

Edited to say I appreciate the suggestions and will check them out when traveling and have a Schott store accessible.
Probably check with Thurston once, they may make an exception. These are expensive jackets, and makers/sellers usually provide excellent customer service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider