Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit jacket pics

Fit is something I've always had trouble with and I've been down this road before, thinking that maybe I'm not built for ANY brand, which is of course nonsense. That said, reeks1, I think you should go a size down on both jackets. While I can't say that I've ever owned a jacket that had stretched over time, any leather jacket will most definitely mold to your form and once it does, trust me, there isn't a better looking and fitting jacket than the one that looks like your leather jacket. And I'm not buying into the hollow back thing at all...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Will,
They guy that makes my suits tells me that I have a "hollow back". If I buy off the rack suits, my tailor ALWAYS has to take in fabric at the center seam of the jacket. Maybe I'm just not built for an Aero...:(

I've seen this phenomenon but NEVER had a name for it. Hmmm I'm not sure that anyone can make you a jacket that eliminates this problem unless they can see it and measure you on the spot. Aerial Star in NY might be able to do it or take a ride up I-95 to Fall River and let Vanson measure and make you one in-person. That might solve your problem.

Worf

I also think the issue might be a tough one to overcome without a completely custom build for you. Let's face it folks, not everyone has a physique for everything. There's lots of things I can't wear, and without asking the OP to post up more pics of himself, at this point I have to say he needs to deal with the makers as they are the experts on building jackets. We can only help with opinions. It is entirely possible he won't be able to get a jacket made from a heavy hide. But I'd recommend he deal with the experts and come back if he gets something he wants some opinions on (fit jacket, etc).
Good luck to you sir. It can be a tough trek...

simonc

Practically Family
Too big man, way too big, the jacket should fit like a second layer of skin or there about's, measure yourself, and give the measurements to Carrie. And if you can't measure yourself there is person who can help with all of this "mom"

Hollow back or lordosis is a curvature of the spine I believe, that affects the lumbar portion of the body, not the upper part, which is where the OP has most trouble with his jackets. I think he's actually okay around the waist which is why I'm inclined to believe that both jackets are simply too big for him.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thank goodness for Insurrection and the "fit jackets" they send for sizing. Imagine jackets sent back and forth (multiple times) to Scotland for sizing issues??? The postage/customs/duty fees would be ridiculous!

reeks1

One of the Regulars
I wear a 40 suit jacket.

Hopefully the 38 in Half Belt will get me as close as possible.

Plus, I recognize that we're dealing with a super-stiff leather. With some break in, won't it just drape better?

I'll have my gf measure me and we'll send those to Carrie/Wade.
Thanks again for your help, gents.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I suspect a 1930's Half Belt in size 38 might work for you better than a 40. Look forward to pictures on arrival.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I wear a 40 suit jacket.

Hopefully the 38 in Half Belt will get me as close as possible.

Plus, I recognize that we're dealing with a super-stiff leather. With some break in, won't it just drape better?

I'll have my gf measure me and we'll send those to Carrie/Wade.
Thanks again for your help, gents.

Eventually, up to a point. If it's kept warm....

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I've seen this phenomenon but NEVER had a name for it. Hmmm I'm not sure that anyone can make you a jacket that eliminates this problem unless they can see it and measure you on the spot. Aerial Star in NY might be able to do it or take a ride up I-95 to Fall River and let Vanson measure and make you one in-person. That might solve your problem.

Worf

Give Langlitz a call. They build an allowance for your shoulder slope in their jacket builds and may be able to address your fit issues. This is why Langlitz can make jackets can fit people with huge traps and very square shouldered individuals. As mentioned earlier it looks like you've got a normal shoulder slope so maybe you have very upright posture making the jacket hand around your neck mostly. Their goat is also much more supple than Aero's so it will drape better. It may be difficult to get Aero to make the necessary allowances.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I love how based on a couple jacket pics you guys have diagnosed this guy as being the elephant man, lol

I love how based on a couple jacket pics you guys have diagnosed this guy as being the elephant man, lol

Really?

Not the case. But based on the pics, it's going to be difficult to do. Jackets are not rocket science, and he says he has an issue that we can see in the pics. He needs to deal with the makers as they're the ones that can truly help him out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats