Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit/length check

I never understand these comments …

If someone wants to wear a lower rise pair of jeans or a higher rise pair of jeans, what’s that have to do with the jacket? Yes the jacket will hit slightly above or below the belt depending, but honestly it’s no big deal.

I think the jacket will look good with any jeans. YMMV.

EDIT: the jacket looks smashing IMO OP, well done!

Agreed.

I was mostly kidding but I personally don't find jeans with a ton of stretch like that to be doing anyone a favor, be them male or female. Skinny purely cotton jeans on the other hand can look fantastic & work so well with any kind of jacket, regardless of the rise. I actually prefer low-rise jeans with leather jackets, slim or otherwise.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed.

I was mostly kidding but I personally don't find jeans with a ton of stretch like that to be doing anyone a favor, be them male or female. Skinny purely cotton jeans on the other hand can look fantastic & work so well with any kind of jacket, regardless of the rise. I actually prefer low-rise jeans with leather jackets, slim or otherwise.

Even extremely (to the point of disproportionate) tapered calves on cotton jeans look dramatically better than leggings fit.

Case in point:

1672955167558.png

You can see from the hem that these are extremely tapered to the point that you wonder how Johnny got his leg through the jeans. But because they aren't stretching/squeezing around his legs like the jeggings, it creates a flattering line going down from the jacket, instead of a cascade of spandex stretch marks.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
If its skinny jeans it better be low rise, high or mid rise skinny would look more like ladies jeans imo, my cotton poly skinny jeans last me for 10 yrs now despite its lightweight, it makes me wonder if 100% cotton would be stronger than cotton poly, polyester there is a filament than wont strecth or unravel while the cotton spun yarn can stretch and unravel creating a hole on stress areas, so 2% of polyester there helps as limiter to the cotton as not to overstretch and to keep its original shape instead of having seatbag and kneebag. And i have re coat that pair several times with acrylic varnish using sponge brush every few years so perhaps now it also have accumulated 1% of acrylic in it. On our raw jeans it has been proven pure cotton thread used by some japanese brand would usually break while polycore cotton thread is a lot stronger.

Last edited:

newtojackets

Practically Family
Going on from my previous thread, the Lewis Leather 402 has finally arrived! Quality of the jacket appears to be superb, and it's a lot more 'showy' a jacket than I'm used to. But it's certainly the best made leather jacket I've owned so far. However, as anyone who caught my previous thread knows, I was a bit apprehensive, due to my short midsection, that I might have ordered it too short. And yes, it is short. But is it too short? Apologies for being in socks. It was delivered first thing and I just wanted to check the fit.

View attachment 478433 View attachment 478432 View attachment 478431
Had to comment because that jacket and the fit are perfect. I'm literally on Lewis's website right now because that's how nice this looks. Yes slightly longer would have been easier to wear, but this length makes it much more badass imo (looks really retro cool). But can echo what others have said, for the love of god change the jeans

Last edited:

SimonMW

New in Town
So... the jeans need changing, then? :)

Will take a look for alternatives. I'm a bit reluctant to go too far down the straight route. I do have slim fit pairs as well (as opposed to the skinny ones in the photos).

@newtojackets great that you liked the jacket that much! To make sure I got the fit as close to what I wanted as possible I went back and forth with Steve at Lewis via email and also a phone call to ask lots of questions. IMO the photos on the LL website and FB don't do the jackets justice to how they look in the flesh.

Last edited:

newtojackets

Practically Family
So... the jeans need changing, then? :)

Will take a look for alternatives. I'm a bit reluctant to go too far down the straight route. I do have slim fit pairs as well (as opposed to the skinny ones in the photos).

@newtojackets great that you liked the jacket that much! To make sure I got the fit as close to what I wanted as possible I went back and forth with Steve at Lewis via email and also a phone call to ask lots of questions. IMO the photos on the LL website and FB don't do the jackets justice to how they look in the flesh.
What leather is that? The vegetable tanned cow?

SimonMW

New in Town
What leather is that? The vegetable tanned cow?
No, it's the standard sheep skin. I was originally going to have horse, but I read the threads here and the sheep skin seemed to be the way to go. I read on some other places that it was 'puffy', but I haven't found that in the slightest. It's just as you'd expect a biker jacket style leather to be. It's got a good thickness, really nice feel, moves really well, and much easier to break in than the cow etc. It looks way better in person than the photos on the site etc.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wear whatever you want ;-) This jacket goes with everything.
I have exclusively slim fit jeans/chinos/cargo and most of them low- and mid-rise. High rise I would not wear or would slip down to the hip anyway ;-)
Allowed is what pleases.

SimonMW

New in Town
for the rocker look, sleeves are too long...... ( I'm like a broken record )

The photos are literally out of the box. Leather jackets need some break in and the sleeves pull up slightly, which they have now done. So now the sleeves are bang on where my wrist bends.

newtojackets

Practically Family
No, it's the standard sheep skin. I was originally going to have horse, but I read the threads here and the sheep skin seemed to be the way to go. I read on some other places that it was 'puffy', but I haven't found that in the slightest. It's just as you'd expect a biker jacket style leather to be. It's got a good thickness, really nice feel, moves really well, and much easier to break in than the cow etc. It looks way better in person than the photos on the site etc.
I feel like the photos on the website are quite unflattering. The leathers often look cheap and heavily corrected, whereas whenver I've seen photos here, the leather looks amazing.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Agreed.

Same here. My favorite jeans at the moment are the IH666 cut. they sort of straddle the line between low rise and mid rise IMO.

SimonMW

New in Town
I feel like the photos on the website are quite unflattering. The leathers often look cheap and heavily corrected, whereas whenver I've seen photos here, the leather looks amazing.
For some reason LL often push the horse leather. They have quite a lot of photos on their social media, but I think the website could be brought up to date with some professionally shot imagery. They often use the vintage brochures for pictures as well, with some hilarious looking 1970s models etc. So yeah, I think they could do with some really nicely taken high res pictures for the website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ