Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit question: New Aero A-2: 42-18775-P

flightjacket

New in Town
Hey,

My new Aero A-2 arrived this week! I scored a major deal, picking up one of their 42-18775-P "Quartermasters Issue Model," which was on sale of sorts. It's in seal brown HH with rust-colored knits, which is exactly the combination I had my eyes on.

I think the jacket is great :D, but trying it on I am not sure about the fit - wanted to get some 2nd opinions. I know A-2s can be a little short in terms of length, and I know this topic has come up in previous threads. So, based on these photos, does the jacket fit right? Would an Aero in 42 be better for someone with a long torso? I think the arms and chest fit well, it's just the length that has me wondering...

009 by flightjacket, on Flickr

008 by flightjacket, on Flickr

006 by flightjacket, on Flickr

005 by flightjacket, on Flickr

thor

Call Me a Cab
Hard to tell exactly with your shirt untucked but in my opinion, the body looks about 1-2 inches too short.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Well, it's an old fashioned fit that requires old fashioned fit pants. If you want to wear low rise jeans, you need extra length. A-2s go well with 40s fit jeans. They go well with 40s fit chinos. Modern pants? I agree with others, get extra length.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Aren't they custom order like other Aero jackets..or just stock sizes? Needs a couple inches more in body length.
HD

I think the QM jackets were just a batch of standard sized jackets cranked out en masse to train up some new people on sewing A-2 pattern jackets.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Aero's 42... contract has sort of a tricky fit. It's quite boxy and short and larger sizes can have a lot of unneccessary leather in the back. On some guys it tends to look like a balloon.

Your jacket is generally a nice jacket but I have to agree with some of the other lounge members: The jacket needs an inch to an inch and half more body length and the overall fit would benefit from half an inch more sleeve length as well. Also the shoulders drop too much.

I VERY much recommend to look into Aero's Bronco pattern!! It's slimmer, longer, has a much better shoulder section and generally a sharper cut compared to their 42-18775-P contract. The collar is also a piece of art compared to the squarish Aero collar.

I would send it back and order a Bronco instead. You are slim and well proportioned...a Bronco would look just great on you!!
Sorry for the criticism but you and that jacket aren't made for each other.
Good luck! ...And welcome to the forum!

Foster

One of the Regulars
I agree the length is too short in the body and perhaps the sleeves as well. I am tall with long torso, and I ended up ordering a Bronco with added length to the body and sleeves.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's never good feeling disappointed on the fit of a new jacket. But use this as a starting point. Measure the current jacket you have so you'll know what you need for the next one. Welcome to the lounge from another Bay Area dude.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the QM jackets were just a batch of standard sized jackets cranked out en masse to train up some new people on sewing A-2 pattern jackets.

I think it was more a case of them looking to use a lot spare ends of various hides.

majormajor

One Too Many
As a rule of thumb for A2 length, the top of the knit should be just about level with the waist band on your pants.

So either 50's style jeans/trousers with a higher waistband, or a longer jacket.

Regarding body fit, if you want a "wartime fit" you need a narrower fitting. You could lose 2 inches at least on the shoulder-shoulder measurement.

As others have suggested, a longer, slimmer jacket is what you need;)

Last edited:

flightjacket

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the solid feedback. I asked for honest fit thoughts, and I got 'em!

I ordered this after consulting Aero with my measurements a few months back, and a 40 was recommended for me, so I went with that advice. Since getting it, I've been in contact with Holly, who is being helpful and responsive.

I took the picture wearing jeans (and ok, the untucked shirt's a bit sloppy, forgive the impromptu pic) to reflect what daily wear on me might look like. I will take a picture in khakis and a tucked shirt soon. Perhaps that will help with feedback.

I definitely feel I need more inches in the torso (I posted here to make sure it wasn't just me...). The sleeves comments were interesting, too. I guess my big question at this stage is this:

Would a size 42 work better for a guy like me (5'11", 175lbs) or would that be too big? Or, would it be wiser to order (say, a Bronco) special ordered?

Regards!

majormajor

One Too Many
Would a size 42 work better for a guy like me (5'11", 175lbs) or would that be too big? Or, would it be wiser to order (say, a Bronco) special ordered?

Hi FJ

I would go for either an Aero 38-1711P or the Bronco, both of which are slimmer fitting jackets, and explain to Holly your concerns re the length;)

JanSolo

Practically Family
I would definitely order a Bronco. The 38-1711 is a nice slim fitting jacket too with a number of great features but regarding your height you would have to add at least two inches to the body length as the 38-1711 is also the shortest of all A2 contracts Aero offers. This jacket can also be quite restrictive in the shoulder area whereas it is not as long and slender in the lower body portion as the Bronco is.

Going by your measurements I would order a size 40 Bronco with an inch added to body and sleeves. That should fit perfectly.

Here are two jackets of my friend Olli.

Pic 1 38-1711 in FQHH with added body and sleeve length. Still a very short jacket, unwearable with shirt untucked or Long sleeve:

5779633469_27d371c2cd_z.jpg

Pic 2 FQHH Bronco with a little added body length. Notice the much better fit?

8066593860_2748547010_z.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic looking jackets, both are acceptable fits, though I might like it a little longer, as in the second. Patina is brilliant though: the FQHH brown is hard to beat in terms of colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo