Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fitting a new Borsalino w/concerns

verdeo

New in Town
HI Folks,
My first post and my first attempt to fit a Fedora properly.

I've had a Borsalino for over 20 years that was a gift and too small. It was a size 60. I have a big head, as I measure around 24" and if I measure comfortably, probably, 24 3/8's.

I have ordered three new Borsalinos over the past few weeks, beginning with a 61 which was still too tight and left serious marks on my forehead as I tried it for a few minutes. So, I sent it back and ordered a 62. Well that seemed really good as I test wore it inside....except it still pressured my forehead if I cinched it down closer to my eyebrows.

So, I decided to got big or go home. I sent that back in exchange for a 63. I figured I could live with adding material in the band. Well, yesterday the 63 arrived and it actually feels tighter than the 62 that I returned.

So, I am perplexed. Should I continue to return hats until one fits loosely or should I simply begin stretching what I have? It is getting expensive having hats sent and returned at this point and I only have one more size that I can tell...to experiment with. ...the 64. Those are pretty scarce too.

The whole idea of wearing a Fedora has haunted me ever since that first gift those many years ago. I just didn't understand how they should fit and reluctantly assumed they were painful to wear.

This 63 feels OK after I wear it around for awhile and if I don't cinch it down too far, but I want to make sure that I'm going to enjoy wearing it for years to come. I've read about the stretching blocks and figure that is my next move but I just would like some reassurance from the lounge that I'm OK with that solution. I think another centimeter or two would get me where I think I need to go.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Gary

Hi Gary, and welcome on in! Borsalino, in my experience (we have about the same size dome, congrats) they are almost always scant on size, and to make matters worse, the sizing can vary from hat to hat with the same model! My approach would be to get yourself a Hatjack (stretcher) or whatever brand you can find, and maintain (or enlarge slightly to) the size you need. A little nudge with the stretcher (or a band block) goes a long way on our noggins!

Good luck!

job

One Too Many
I would think that you would wear a 62/63. It sounds like the 63 had some quality control issues. My hats set no more than mid forehead.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

It sounds like the 63 had some quality control issues.

That seems to be a common problem for Borsalino up in that size zone. I couldn't even find one (62-63) to fit at Delmonico's about five years ago. Poor Ernie Delmonico was completely fermished at the experience. We BOTH were! A two hour drive to New Haven, and no hat for me that day!

Now I know about hatjacks!

verdeo

New in Town
Well my goodness! hatsRme,job, RJR, what a speedy and comforting response from all of you. I truly appreciate these words of wisdom! So, I just ordered a hatjack!

I have gotten to know a few personalities of the major online hat vendors, hatsRme. My last one (63) came from Ernie yesterday. They are the only ones with a 63, 64 listed. This 63 came so nicely packed, I really dreaded the thought of sending yet another back. I returned a 62 to Bencraft earlier.

It's nice to know there are a few other big heads around! Do any of you find better large sizing from other makers, like Stetson...or am I just out of luck ...for the future?

Thanks to you all for the quick reassuring responses!
Gary

verdeo

New in Town
job,

Thanks for your reply! I am curious what the hat in your avatar is? That's a hat and color I would like to acquire sometime..after I get my Borsalino fitted properly!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Verdeo,
Borsalino hats can vary from one delivery to the next. Sending out hats to customers is never easy as its always better to try them on. If you are ever in NY , please visit our store in Williamsburg . We have many Borsalino in big sizes.

verdeo

New in Town
Hi besdor,

If you are Steve from Bencraft Hatters, I have a Borsalino Como steel gray coming from you. I had ordered it in a 62 and it almost fit...but I called Robert, my contact there, and he is sending a 63 as we speak...I hope! I will make a point of visiting you my next trip to NY! And, thanks for the verification of the varying sizing. When you have a big head, at least me...you become wary of anything fitting properly. Well, it's not just hats for me. I am 6'5" and size 14 feet, so my whole life has been a struggle...as I am just happy to find things that are close to fitting! Thank you!
Gary

job

One Too Many
The hat in my avatar is a custom from Falcon Park but any custom maker can do it. It is a silverbelly felt with a light gray brim binding and a blue ribbon with a yellow accent.

Attachments

• 64d056bc-893e-4393-865a-f57e00faf226camera_20141031160345438_zpsk5qyrtgn.jpg
    64d056bc-893e-4393-865a-f57e00faf226camera_20141031160345438_zpsk5qyrtgn.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 363

verdeo

New in Town
John,

That's a beautiful hat. As I become more familiar with this site, I hope to learn much more about all of these custom makers.

A clarification for readers; I just realized that I may have confused you all with my above posts. I just received a Como 63 from one vendor that had the size and color I was looking for and that is what prompted my inquiry. I also just returned a Como 62 to another vendor in a different color..to exchange for the same in a 63. Hopefully that clarifies things.
Gary

WoW, Gary! Not only are you on the right track, but you couldn't be better connected.

Be sure to post a picture or two when you get settled.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I think another centimeter or two would get me where I think I need to go.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Gary

If you're hoping to gain a few cm's then you'll need more than a hat stretcher. You will have to remove the sweatband & ribbon & then do some serious reblocking, then add a longer band & ribbon ....not really a job for an amateur & there's always the risk that the hat will shrink back again a little.
Since you're having problems with Borsalino hats my advice would be to forget about 'em as they probably aren't for you, stop buying hats online (unless you have shares in the postal services) & get yourself to a real hat store & try some on until you find THE hat for you.

Alternatively, you could plan a visit to Borneo :rolleyes:

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Your probably a LO long oval which a factory hat will not work well as inconstancy's in sizing are common...
& no factory hats are going to block in LO
As your a large size & truly a LO or XLO than you should go custom for the $ involved for a new Borsalino
it would make world of difference
if the pain is dead center of the fore head & you have wiggle room on the sides You are LO

always concern proper fit your 1st priority, which your are clearly stating & struggling with
you have tried enough hats by mail that's $$ that can make the difference between the Borsalino & a Custom

& if any hat does not fit properly its not worth anything as you wont wear it

a custom hatter will make your hat fit your head & as you like what you see here after a good fit then comes the style of you choice !

verdeo

New in Town
Well, lean'n'mean and seabass,
I appreciate your thoughts. You are both enforcing my concerns. Yes, I do have a longer head so I may ultimately have to look for custom. I am awaiting one more hat, plus a stretcher to see if I can delicately get a slight bit more room. If that doesn't work or make me feel good about it..then I will pursue the custom option, I guess.
There is a custom hatter here in Milwaukee that I might look into...but I have no personal knowledge of them. I will know shortly if that will be my next move.
Thanks,
Gary

job

One Too Many
+1 Art Fawcett sends a customer a conformer for the best possible fit.

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
"a stretcher to see if I can delicately get a slight bit more room. If that doesn't work "
verdeo.

After your trying to make it fit, I doubt any return/refund will be honoured.
Don't fool around; don't open the box.
Return the item(s) as new and visit the hatter in Milwaukee; that way, you will be sure of both fit and finish.

Regards,
J T

verdeo

New in Town
Just to wrap this thread up, I thought heavily about all of the good advice I received here...and returned one hat that was just a tad too small. The other felt better but was still pressing against my forehead a bit much, so I visited the Brass Rooster yesterday. The owner took a quick look at my hat and suggested that I was more of a long oval and offered to re-fit it for me. I was reluctant to have anything done to it as I was prepared to return it too. He told me that it would fit me nicely if I allowed him to go ahead. He said if it were any larger it would be sitting on my ears and still not fit comfortably...so I went for it. Within ten minutes he returned and it just plopped right on my head without undue pressure. I couldn't believe how much better it felt. This gentleman would not charge me for the service...I tipped him anyway...and am very grateful for some professional advice...as well as the help all of you above folks gave me. I think my next hat will have the Brass Rooster lining in it though!

Banky

One of the Regulars
Verdeo, I'm not the owner of the Brass Rooster, Just a hatter there. I'm glad I was able to get the hat to fit well for you and I'm happy to put that long oval shape into any of your hats. Wear it with pride, the Como suited you well! And of course we'd be thrilled to put a brass rooster hat on your head as well;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk