Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitting Aero Highwayman

Harley

New in Town
Hello all, first time poster, but I have found this forum very helpful and enjoyable.
I just purchased and received a demo Aero Highwayman from Insurrection/Thurston Brothers. The procedure is that I fit it and let them know what needs to be adjusted and send it back and then they contract with Aero and create the actual personalized jacket for me.

Here are my concern areas:
1 sleeves are really loose and baggy. Is this normal? Is there a way to narrow them? How should I address this?
2 sleeves are way too long (while the rest of the jacket does fit pretty good). The sleeves actually come down to my thumbnails. Do the sleeves contract that much as the jacket breaks in? How do you suggest I request the sleeves be fitted?

Thanks for your advice.

Peacoat

Bartender
My Highwayman sleeves are not "loose and baggy." In fact, I had a lot of stretching to do at the elbows so I could bend my arms. So not sure that this is normal. Adjustment of the sleeve length is a fairly simple matter.

The best thing you can do is talk to Wade about your concerns. He has a lot of experience and is very good at what he does. He will probably want pictures of your areas of concern.

You have chosen the correct path in dealing with Wade/Carrie.

And, BTW, welcome to the Lounge. PC.

pawineguy

One Too Many
As noted, sleeve length is something you will specify in your order. If you want to really slim down the sleeves, I believe they will build a zipper sleeve HWM.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone know if they can do the 2 panel sleeve in the Highwayman? That should make them considerably thinner.

I'd also recommend sending the pics to insurrection, they will be able to tell you what tweaks they recommend and they are the experts.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
If you look elsewhere in this forum you'll find my post on my new Highwayman which is my 4th.
I also noted that of the 4, this new one has substantially wider sleeves. For me, it works perfectly as it makes the jacket
very comfy and easy to put on and still look great. I don't know if Aero has consciously made the decision to up the diameter of Highwayman sleeves or if it's just the way this particular one came out, but I like it. Wider sleeves are also much more accommodating if you wear a wristwatch of any size.
Lenny

Harley

New in Town
I usually wear a 38R suit (U.S. size). I'm 5'9, 155#. Carrie sent me a size 36 Highwayman because she says they run big. I actually did order a horsehide zip-sleeve. For fit purposes they just sent me a steerhide and it is not a zip sleeve. Here are some photos.
view
view

view

view

view

view

view

view

view

view

My opinions:
1 the length of the jacket seems to be a good fit. I may want to add a half inch or something, but otherwise it seems right on.
2 the shoulders actually measure 18" across, which is exactly what it should be. They just seem slightly wide. What do you think? I think I will probably leave the shoulders alone and assume they will settle as the jacket breaks in.
3 Really it is just the upper sleeves that seem too baggy. Can we ask for slimmer arm holes? There has been at least one post saying this is a positive feature. What do you all think?
4. I can hardly get it zipped all the way up on my neck. It is pretty uncomfortable. That would need to be remedied.
5. Obviously the sleeves are too long. I will use it on motorcycles sometimes and I understand that therefore I may want the sleeves a little longer than normal. I think they are about 4 inches too long - measured from my wrist bone to the knuckle on my thumb. I also can tell that the sleeves bunch up a little or contract a little as the jacket breaks in, so I wonder whether a year from now the sleeve length will reduce in length normally. I'm thinking about asking for 2 inches off the sleeves. What do you think?
6. Also I have seen a couple jackets on this forum that are under a size 38 and they added a centimeter to the collar. That is probably a good idea based on the way the collar lays out instead of down.
7. It looks a little boxy in the middle, but it feels fine when I wear it. I don't mind that.

I'll speak to the folks at Insurrection about all of this. But I would value your opinions as well. Thanks

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am unable to see your pictures. Best to always review posts with attachments to make sure your pics can be seen before you post.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, you have a broken link to the photos.

You can post photos from either your hard drive or from a third part server, such as Photobucket. The easiest is from your hard drive. To link to it, use the 3rd icon from the right at the top of your reply page. Simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace