Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five that are Seriously Overrated...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A friend and I watched Me, Myself and Irene the other night. I should say, tried to watch. It was incredibly vulgar, and it wasn't even funny. [huh]

warbird

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
I've been meaning to get around to replying to this. I find it to be a relief that at least ONE other person agrees with me about Sandler. I can't stand the guy. He's spectacularly UNfunny. There's nothing funny about him at all in fact. People try to tell me 'He's like Jerry Lewis.' No. Jerry Lewis had timing, he had talent. He might have been an idiot, but at least he elicited empathy from the audience. I don't know how Sandler gets work.

The other guy I can't stand is Will Ferrell (Farrell? Who cares?) Another twit. And by the way, will you please stop making movies based on Saturday Night Live skits. They can barely sustain five minutes of comedy much less an entire picture. Not that I watch them, but I can't even stand to see the commercials.

Yes, a certain member can now hurl epithets for my disliking something else.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I agree about Sandler as well.

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
A friend and I watched Me, Myself and Irene the other night. I should say, tried to watch. It was incredibly vulgar, and it wasn't even funny. [huh]
..The three sons who were geniuses and raised on watching Richard Pryor stand up? That was funny. lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
Gracious there are so many...I could list HUNDREDS!!When I am home from work I will have to sit down and attempt to narrow it down to 10 or so. Honestly, time after time I find myself leaving a theater thinking.."Did I miss Something?".Either there are a lot of rotten movies being made or else I am just very, very grumpy.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
..The three sons who were geniuses and raised on watching Richard Pryor stand up? That was funny. lol

We took out the Me, Myself and Irene DVD and put in the video Delirious: multi-millionaires having to wait for the cable guy and get their tires rotated at inconvenient times like the rest of us--now that was funny.

Most of the time, though, I'm like Olive Bleu. I just don't think most of today's comedies are funny.

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
I agree on Me, Myself and Irene. I originally thought I may have fallen asleep in the middle of it because I just didn't like it and I thought I missed something. Turns out I didn't miss anything, it was just a bad movie.:eek:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
MudInYerEye said:
GONE WITH THE WIND
LA STRADA
RASHOMON
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
WILD STRAWBERRIES
Sorry to drag this old thread out of it's possibly well earned resting spot,but...

La Strada and Rashomon are,to me anyway,two of the films that make up my ten greatest. It's a Wonderful life is a film I saw once and enjoyed ,but once was enough and I haven't seen all of Wild Strawberries. I liked what I saw and Bergman's Seventh Seal is also on my greats list.

Has Tarantino made five films yet? If so...that's my list.;) . Until then how about a few more:
Moulin Rouge. Just awful in every way. Torture to sit through. 2001:A Space Odyssey. Towering technical acheivement.Towering bore. Last Tango in Paris. The scene where Brando breaks down when sitting beside his dead wife's body is some truely beautiful acting. The rest of the movie is an artfully photographed mess. The Deer Hunter. Great actors,silly paper thin story. Rebel Without a Cause. Hugely overacted and slow. Just my opinion folks...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Just one more: Easy Rider. This film wants to say something profound but merely wallows in it's own smug self aggrandizement. The only thing good that I can say about it is that it's popularity opened the doors for some very creative filmmakers to do some great work in the 1970s,so for that I can say yes,important,but unwatchable film.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Sefton said:
Just one more: Easy Rider. This film wants to say something profound but merely wallows in it's own smug self aggrandizement. The only thing good that I can say about it is that it's popularity opened the doors for some very creative filmmakers to do some great work in the 1970s,so for that I can say yes,important,but unwatchable film.

Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper were in Seattle for the opening of Easy Rider. Both were extremely zonked; a preview of what was to come inside the theater.

eightbore

Suspended
While I can understand how non-Americans don't really get it, I am shocked to see "A River Runs Through It" on some lists....and to see it described as a movie about fishing?!?!?! Good lord.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's 2

1. Titanic. I repaired a copy of it and had to watch it to make sure the repair took: I couldn't find the remote for the fast-forward button quickly enough. Smut.
2. The Notebook. I borrowed it last year for some ideas on what kind of clothing I could wear for my dad's WWII Army reunion. Unwatchable, even with the sound off. James Garner and Gena Rowlands were slightly tolerable, but still, I popped it out and inserted The Women. Ahh, that's better.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
3 that I lump together in my mind: "Forrest Gump", "The World According to Garp", and "Hotel New Hampshire". Great big pretentious blobs of egregious pseudoprofundity. They made me want to smash something.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
A couple of movies mentioned in this thread that I will defend.

Napolean Dynamite - I rented it once then went out and bought the film. It's a nerd-makes-good movie, but a very funny nerd-makes-good movie. I think the uncle Rico character was great.

Movies with Hugh Grant - yes generally, except for Love Actually which I think is a very good movie. I love the part where the young boy figures out that all it takes to attract women, even if you are ugly, is to be a musician. Then his dad mentioning that "Surely Meatloaf got laid."

Pulp Fiction - violent and vulgar yes, but great characters and very good dialogue. One of the few movies I've watched where I was still thinking about the movie two weeks later rather than forgetting about the movie by the time I got to my car as so frequently happens.

I finally got around to watching Star Wars, episodes 1 and 2, and think they are just average. I would have loved these as a kid, but as an adult they are just ok at best.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Babel. We ran it for two weeks last year, and I was projectionist for about 2/3rds of those performances. It was the longest two weeks of my life -- it's not so bad if you only see it once, but the more you look at it the more pompous and smug and self-important it becomes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24