Classy bars...

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Miss Neecerie, Dec 4, 2007.

1. 2The9s

2The9s New in Town

I wish there were a few places in my part of San Antonio. Most of the nicer bars around here are sports bars, loud on top of loud blairing TVs. There are few nicer places in the downtown town area but that's too far to travel for a drink after work. I really long for a comfy chair to sit in too. Most bars have hard wood seats. One can always hope.

2. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bruno was a bit more mysterious than that. He did,
    after all, keep a bar stocked with more than Boord's gin.
    Sometimes you had to catch on quickly what the drink of
    the day might be. On some days if you ordered a martini
    you got kicked out. The back room was perpetually closed.

There were an infinite number of things that could get you
    kicked out. While at times charming, the man was not
    entirely well. Unfortunately, this attracted a crowd that
    sought entertainment in this practice, laughing when Bruno
    would kick out some poor sap who simply thought that a
    bar was a place where he might find a drink.
    The new owners are old customers. The place is cleaner,
    more accessible, and still great. I do miss the old low tech
    jukebox, though. Yeah, it's noisy and it really isn't the same
    anymore. But that's a good thing and a bad thing.

Let's not even talk about what was done to the Redwood Room.

3. Miss 1929

Miss 1929 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Let's not, I would rather not cry myself to sleep!
    At least it is all reversible, unlike the loss of the Patent Leather Lounge (what became the Compss Rose in the St. Francis).

4. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Pavillion Rooms...

That's right folks!! "Paddy's Pavillion Rooms" where the Martinis are cool and the jazz is hot.

Drinks guaranteed to wash that modern colour out of your cheeks and give you that 'old fashioned' black&white glow of yesteryear!!

If you haven't a full glass in your hand and a hat on your head..then you're underdressed!!;)

[​IMG]

5. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Brain Surgery

Are you the cup half full or half full type? Don't ask...Or are you a bloke who likes a full bottle in front of me rather than a full frontal lobotomy?:D :D lol

6. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Brilliant photo Paddy!

But by the looks of the angle of that drink, there's either a stiff breeze blowing or you're three sheets to the wind :D

Looks like "Paddy's Pavillion Rooms" will be the talk of the town!

7. Chas

Chas One Too Many

Bordello Bar in LA is a fun place.

8. Jovan

Jovan Suspended

The places described seem little more than where to go because you want to feel like you're better than everyone else. Not my thing. Don't get me wrong -- I can see what the allure is, and it sounded good to me at first, but as the article went on I just started to imagine a stifling sort of atmosphere where one can't sneeze without there being a fuss. I think it takes the fun out of having a cocktail or glass of wine with your friends (not my colleagues, thank you ;)). I don't need an exclusive "cocktail lounge" to do that. In fact, I hardly ever go to bars. My best times having a drink have been with my roommates here at the house. We never drink to excess, we tell dirty jokes (and the dames join in with that), talk about our jobs and our dreams, and most importantly we have fun.

Just my two cents.

9. This is starting to give me some ideas riffing on a theme from back when Doran was speculating about him, me and Ms. Tourbillion opening a club... I'm thinking not demanding "worship of bartender/establishment" or treating it as a "temple of liquor", but just basic courtesy to one's fellow customer and the staff, "keep it down and if the dame says 'back off', you do it--now" sort of thing. Maybe several rooms... say a library for quiet drink and study, for one, and maybe the "card-players' corner" behind soundproof walls.

Oh, the TV? Would be on a news-channel, muted and closed-captioned.

Don't really see it happening--way too expensive--but thought this might inspire somebody else's ideas, which might have a little more crack at happening.

10. Jovan

Jovan Suspended

That sounds a lot more appealing than what was in the article. Hope it happens -- even I'd go just to see what it was all about.

11. happyfilmluvguy

happyfilmluvguy Call Me a Cab

Went here a while back with a few members. Library Bar

Read and drink. An interesting combination :D

Lucyinthesky likes this.
  12. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Willy Wonka.

13. Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss_Bella_Hell My Mail is Forwarded Here

OK, I've now been to Milk & Honey, and it's the best bar I've been to in NYC.

14. Ben

Ben One of the Regulars

Weegee's

There's a place in Chicago called Weegee's after the famous tabloid photographer. it has no televisions, no loud music, and a good cocktail list. It was based off the the 1947 Trader Vic's bartenders' handbook. The owner said he wanted to create a nice neighborhood bar, and he's done a great job. The only reason I am not there more is because it is far from where I live.

I agree that I don't want to be told what to drink, but there is nothing wrong with selecting your customers by selecting what you have behind the bar. No Red Bull sounds like a fine idea to me. No vodka, not so much.

There is another place in town called Nacional 27, it is a little louder and attached to the restaurant, but my friend's and I always go for the bar. We usually go early and that weeds out annoyances that can go with a place when it gets crowded. While the drinks can get expensive, they are good, and you really only need one or two anyway.

15. norton

norton One of the Regulars

Why can't bars, and restaurants too for that matter, have little closets that patrons could go into if they absolutely had to talk on their cell phones. That way they wouldn't have to disturb other patrons and they could hear what was being said on the phone. They could be called something like "phone booths".

I wonder if I could patent that?

16. Ben

Ben One of the Regulars

The new phone booth, you could even use the old signs. That is a great idea! Apply for a method patent now.

17. Ethan Bentley

Ethan Bentley One Too Many

The Bramble Bar - Edinburgh, the best bar I know and a fine selection of Gin (35+)

18. Supercilious sophistry. And Cedd Moses ruined Coles. A pox on all his houses. Cancel my rhumba lessons.

19. rkwilker

rkwilker One Too Many

There's a nice bar in downtown Raleigh, NC called Amara's. Owned by three brothers. Straight out of the 1930's with dark, rich wood all around. Good cigars and top shelf bourbon. Great place.

20. just_me

just_me Practically Family

The Bubble Room on Captiva Island has a real, old style phone booth with a seat in it. I think Clark Kent is there too. lol As much fun as the Bubble Room is, I wouldn't call it a classy bar, though.