Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL Members from North Carolina

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We'll be sure to take a look at the new section of the Lake James Park, thanks. I hope you don't give up kayaking. Even at 63, I still enjoy a lazy paddle on flat water. I like getting out on the lakes when the water is low. A few years back we made it to Badin and Falls Lake (Yadkin/Peedee) when it was so dry all over NC and upper SC. What an interesting sight.

You are going to reel me in with the Roma's Pizza place, Mr. Big. That is a must do.

In my "younger days" I used to do some sea kayaking. I especially enjoyed kayaking around some of the islands along the NC and SC coast, as well as into the marsh areas. Good fishing and good wildlife looking opportunities. It was also something that my two boys enjoyed doing, too. On one trip, "something" big bumped the bottom of my wife's kayak, and that was just about the last trip she took with us in the ocean. Of course this was on the heels of getting caught in a lightning storm while rock climbing, so her definition of a "fun time in the outdoors"and mine took a divergent course. :D We still, however, get great laughs out of all the crazy adventures we had in those "early years".

My kayak is now with my boys. I don't really fit good in one (never really did). I enjoy flat water, but would like to have some kind of boat that was a little less "restrictive" than a kayak.

Big Man

I'm not up on using the groups function, but when I clicked on your link, I got a "no privileges" message.

TheLibrarian

New in Town
Does it count if you're fifteen miles from the NC line?

I'm just over the border into Virginia. I've lived in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Winston - just working my way slowly north again.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
It is funny. I was just getting ready to restart this post again. I am from Rocky Mount and have been a member for awhile now. I had gotten out of post for awhile due to health and the health of my mom and then her recent passing just before Christmas. I am curious about how many old and new members are here from the good old Tarheel state? Are some that posted still with us? I would love to see us all do a NC Fedora Lounge get together. It would be fun. We could start the Tarheel Mafia or the Old North State Mafia. It would be fun. I am also having trouble with the link. It says that I don't have permission to go to that page.

=GG=

Big Man

... Are some that posted still with us? I would love to see us all do a NC Fedora Lounge get together. It would be fun ...

I'm all for some kind of NC get together. It would be nice to meet like-minded folks from the Fedora Lounge.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
We could really have a lot of fun. I enjoy hanging out with people that like some of the same things that I do. I feel disconnected with this age. I just don't understand people having to be on a cell phone or electronic da jour for almost 24 / 7. I still enjoy receiving letters in the mail. The clothing of the Golden Era looks much better than what people are wearing now. Just look at some of the top actors. You would never see Grant, Stewart, Sinatra, or Bogey wearing what they are wearing now. Back to the get together, I thought about getting together in Raleigh. Lot of nice resturants and clubs downtown. There are the museums as well, and there are a few vintage shops to check out in the area. Be nice to stay in a historic hotel though. I have not found any dating back to the period that has not been torn down. Wilmington would be a good place and could do a dinner on the Henrietta II river boat and cruise the Cape Fear. Anyone else with ideas of places to go? Since I saw a person from SC posting here, we could instead call ourselves the Carolina Mafia and do a regular get together at different citys across NC. Big Man could be the Don.

=GG=

Big Man

... I thought about getting together in Raleigh. Lot of nice restaurants and clubs downtown. There are the museums as well, and there are a few vintage shops to check out in the area. Be nice to stay in a historic hotel though. I have not found any dating back to the period that has not been torn down. Wilmington would be a good place and could do a dinner on the Henrietta II river boat and cruise the Cape Fear. Anyone else with ideas of places to go? Since I saw a person from SC posting here ...

Good ideas. Too bad the old Sir Walter Hotel in Raleigh is no longer in operation. My family used to stay there years ago (early to mid 1960's) when my Dad had to go to Raleigh on business.

Wilmington is also a good idea, especially with the USS North Carolina.

Further west, there is Asheville. There is a lot to do in that town.

I'd be game for about any venue.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I like the idea of the Carolina Girls. That would not be bad at all, until my wife finds out. LOL We need to start looking at possible dates. I work every other weekend so it would have to be on one of my off weekends, naturally. We need to see what the different locations of the loungers are so we know where to go first. Do we want it in a central location to start with and if it does not matter, the idea of Wilmington would be great. It truly is a classic old southern town and with the USS North Carolina being there, it would be great. I am up for any idea.

=GG=

Big Man

Giving this old thread a bump.

How many of the "old" NC folks are still here? What about any "new" NC folks? It would still be great to have some kind of meeting somewhere. Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR