Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flame resistance of leather?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just ordered a nomex jacket from Cockpit USA. On sale. Planning to give G&B a call, as their flight suits are on sale. Might cancel the Cockpit order, G&B has nomex jackets at a lower price.

Willybob

A-List Customer
I weld. Welders wear leathers. Boots (no laces), chinks, aprons, gloves, arm sleaves, shoulder covers, all leather. Not often exposed to direct flame but sparks and heat. I also wore a Carhart chore coat because Carhatts are thick 100 % cotton and have a tight weave. I've heard that compressed wools is very fire resistant.

The term we used in electical type welding was atmosphere displacemant, getting the oxygen away to get a better weld. Oxygen in an electric weld creates a chemical reaction which does not benefit the weld.

Fire is a chemical reaction, heat + fuel + oxygen. Displace the oxygen and you have no fire. Take away the fuel and no fire. As it was explained to me, this can be done by a chemical make up that is not effected by the presence of oxygen or creating an evironment were oxygen can't get to.

Woven Cloth is like that cross stacked pile of kindling you make your camp fire with. Lots of room for oxygen to get between the treads. Cloth also has little stray fibers which can act as that crumpled paper you put in yor camp fire to get things started. Leather on the other hand is dense, lacking places for oxygen to infiltrate. With the exception of the Grizzly jacket, it also lacks the stray fibers acting as wicks.

The " self extinguishing" effect referred to is a result of a chemical reaction not getting a sufficient element, oxygen, to get started.

Since fire is made from heat + fuel + oxygen, wear clothing made out of thread that is not fire fuel, treat it to make it so. or deny it oxygen. Oh...and it helps to stay away from burning stuff! Unless of course you're one of these guys who gets paid alot to play with fire, then thank you for your service.

My question is what is Nomex made of? Is it a cloth woven out of a non flamable thread or is it treated somehow with a chemical retardant?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
What is aramid? I've heard that word a while back in reference to tires.

It was in the description of nomex. Just Google it.

Key Features of Nomex® Meta-Aramid:
  • Excellent heat & flame resistance
  • High chemical resistance
  • Low thermal shrinkage
  • Self-extinguishing flame retardant properties
  • Soft-hand yields good textile properties

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland