Flapcup CCC Jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by hodgeko, May 14, 2021.

1. hodgeko

hodgeko New in Town

So, this was advertised to me on Facebook. Probably too good to be true, right? If I took a shot and ordered this, would they just steal my identity and not send me a jacket or something? What do you guys think? I think the pictures might just be stolen from the Buzz Rickson site, ha.

https://www.flapcup.com/products/yssy00294

I've been looking for one like this but frankly, can't really afford the higher end McCoys, etc. versions. I'm half tempted to just take a gamble on it!

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

All those stolen pictures make it look dubious, but if you do take the dive please post what shows up!

hodgeko likes this.
  3. Edward

Edward Bartender

I saw this ad too. When I looked into it initially, it looked like far too much work had gone into it to be a quick rip-off..... Then I discovered that the photos were ripped-off from Buzz Rickson (who did indeed do this jacket a while back). At the current price, you may or may not consider it worth a gamble, but let's just say that given they've just stolen someone else's photos, chances are they're one of those operations which just stick up photos lifted from elsewhere of popular products, working on the assumption they'll be able to copy it. What arrives may or may not resemble in look and/or quality what you might think you're ordering.

In truth, I'm also often dubious that anything would arrive at all, but this sort of copyright infringement of photos speculating they'll actually make one if anyone bites and orders is a common business model in some parts of the world. It's tempting - I'd love one too and can rarely afford the Japanese stuff even when they make my size, but I think I'd pass on this one tbh.

hodgeko likes this.
  4. hodgeko

hodgeko New in Town

I think you’re right!

Edward likes this.
  5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

cancel your purchase, stolen pic, clearance sale, everything has to go, etc. is always scam trick, registering dot come is easy, more trustworthy to buy in existing platform like ebay, etsy, aliexpress, whatever than some random dot com.

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

This is true, if you go via a platform where there's some level of buyer protection you're always safer with an unknown brand.

navetsea and hodgeko like this.
  7. Strange Neil

Strange Neil New in Town

I know I've made it to the big leagues when a scam shop steals my photo for their scam website and then spends money on a Facebook ad campaign for it.

[​IMG]

These websites are scams. They steal other people's photos and product copy (that they put time and money into creating). Even if the products were real / represented accurately - do you want to support a company that steals the hard work of others?

I had someone email me last year - they bought an $50 N-1 deck jacket from one of these sites that also stole our photos, and they received an entirely different jacket that was garbage. Getting a refund was a massive headache.

You get what you pay for.

hodgeko, Edward, AeroFan_07 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 A-List Customer

From their website regarding copyright https://img.myshopline.com/image/st...5603801/9ca42c23a8cc409892c0863e472af9d0.jpeg

9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

“Please let us know if you catch us, and we can tell you to jump off a cliff in person...or we might just ignore you.”

Edward likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Quite so. There's a common belief that this will get them off with this sort of operation; it might just see them avoid being sued if a copyright holder does email them and they get it down sharpish, but it would carry no weight in court (if anything, it's likely to be interpreted as an admission.)