Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flat cap sizing

anglophile

One of the Regulars
I have always had trouble finding a flat cap that fits me. I've even gone into a brick and morter hatshop and tried some on. The one I thought fit kept trying to move forward over my face. I wnat to try again but I have hit a problem.

The chart on the Miller Hats website says that 23" is a metric 59(I assume this means cm) making it a 7 3/8. The size choices on the Pakeman Catto and Carter site says that 7 3/8 is 60cm. Is this just an English company being wierd or what.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
english sizing goes by a different system. An american size 7-1/8 is an english 7, an american 7-1/4 is an english 7-1/8, an american 7-3/8 is an english 7-1/4, an american 7-1/2 is an english 7-3/8, and so on.

So if you want an english hat that fits a standard american 7-3/8 (59), go with an english size 7-1/4 (59)

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I too have had trouble with flat cap sizing, mainly with the trend to fore go sizing and sell small, medium and large. If I order a medium it tight a large and it's loose.
I've found the caps with cloth bands are easy to stretch a bit or it there wool to shrink.

galopede

One of the Regulars
I have a few caps in size large and they fit perfectly. I also have a great Hannah cap from Ireland that also fits perfectly and is a medium.

I really hate buying any clothing that's measured in S,M,L,XL etc as the actual size is so subjective.

Being slightly large around the waist, I have bought trousers (casual and hiking types) varying from L to XXL and they are all the same waist size!

And I agree, our British hat sizes are an eighth down on American sizes!

I'm a Brit 7 1/4 or American 7 3/8. 59 in metric sizing, which is actually much easier to use as it's simply the circumference of your head.

Our shoe sizes are different too...

Gareth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart