Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Apparel Ind. A-2 - Large Disco Collar observations

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
The discussion of the "large" collar on the fine A-2 copy Fishmeok's made got me looking at the collar on my recent acquisition, a Flight Apparel Industries A-2 (I'm not psychologically ready to patch-up and paint an Aero yet!).

As mentioned in other threads here, the FAI A-2 was a generic jacket made until the mid-80s. While it's is well-made, one of the complaints about it is the large "SHAFT" wakka-chikka collar that appears to be about 1/2" larger than an original.

This certainly appears to be the case with mine - the collar seems big to me. Wearing it upturned in the rain this morning, It kinda felt like the collar of a leather Pea Coat. Here is a pic (taken in the mirror, that's why the squadron patch is on the wrong side):

377748375.jpg

But here's the kicker - when I compare the collar to two other 40's period A-2 style jackets (where the collars to not appear out of proportion), the collar is NOT any larger. In fact, when compared to a private-purchase war-worn A-2 type that I own, the collar is actually slightly smaller. The difference seems to result from the collar stand at the base of the collar...but this is the same pattern used by Rough Wear, Perry and other original manufacturers.

377748373.jpg
377748372.jpg

So what gives? Is there a reason the collar looks this way? Is it that the few original A-2s I've examined didn't have collar stands, and that some war-period collars did appear this large? Did original jackets with collar stands have correspondingly smaller collars? Is it not really that big, but my view has been flavored by the opinions of others? Am I missing something? What say you?

Scratch

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
He's One Bad Mutha… Shut Yo Mouth!

4221_199291680570_885470570_6968242_4149568_n.jpg

ok, that's me in a shaFT suit, NOT a flight apparel industries milspec a-2 from 1982 with a disco collar...

however, i'm the 'bad mutha' who started calling the thing 'shaft' collared...

i'm totally fascinated (well, actually only partially) with your observations backed up by photos...

i still have my FAi and it indeed looks like it belongs on tony manero from saturday night fever...why the collar looks no larger than others when placed side to side is beyond moi...i guess it's just one of those mysteries of life

and what would life be, as well as a-2s, without mystery

but very interesting investigatory piece

Creeping Past

One Too Many
So, is this about preferring stubby modern collars? If so, I don't get it. I like the elegant shape of the old-style collars. It's much easier on the eye.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's not a big collar - check out my dad's Bradley Associates replica A-2 in the the "11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month" thread in the WWII forum.

Now that's a big collar!

fishmeok

Vendor
The collar is not really out of proportion- most of them are around 3" tall. It's more a case of the '70's ruining the '40's than anything else. Note this collars on this crew:

sweet_17.jpg
[/quote]

Best place to see this is John's website- you can compare the collars on several different contracts.
Cheers
Mark

Edward

Bartender
Doesn't look odd to me. [huh] By any chance, could this be another of those thnigs where we all fixate on the "right" spec for an A2, forgetting just how widely the details varied in wartime production?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't suggesting the collar was "wrong" on any of these jackets, actually my intent was to illustrate how normal the size is. You make a great model, Mark!;)

dean

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
fishmeok said:
The collar is not really out of proportion- most of them are around 3" tall. It's more a case of the '70's ruining the '40's than anything else. Note this collars on this crew:

Those are indeed some pretty wide collars. So it looks like my jacket isn't as inaccurate as I thought.

Does this mean I shouldn't include the disco ball and platform heels on the jacket art? ;)

Thanks for your input guys.

Edward

Bartender
deanglen said:
I wasn't suggesting the collar was "wrong" on any of these jackets, actually my intent was to illustrate how normal the size is.

Absolutely - my comment was more of a generalisation not aimed at your posting specifically. I agree, it does look very normal. When I think 'disco collar' or '70s collar', I think of something much wider, or at least much longer - think '20s dress shirt collar' and then apply to leather jacket....

Interbak

One of the Regulars
It looks fine to me. I have a FAI as well and the collar shape never bothered me in the least. I also have Aero, GW, US A, and Cockpit to compare it to. It may, as you said, be an illusion created by the collar stand, many people refer to Roughwear collars as "clown collars" so it's a matter of opinion.

Brian

Edward

Bartender
Could part of the perception be due to how high the collar sits when worn? I mean, the collar may be the same size as on another jacket, but if the top end of the jacket on which it sits rises higher before the collar is attached to it....?

STW

Familiar Face
Creeping Past said:
So, is this about preferring stubby modern collars? If so, I don't get it. I like the elegant shape of the old-style collars. It's much easier on the eye.
Here here. I have a very nice A-2 style jacket from the 80s that is almost unwearable for me with its pitiful 2" 80s style collar. Sad over-reaction to 70s excess. My preference is for 30s/40s collars and I don't see disco or the 70s when I see a nice swing era collar.

I still think about the Lone Ranger when I hear the William Tell Overture though, so acrued associations can be pretty powerful, I admit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner