Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying Attire

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
I’ve got to fly to New Jersey in a few weeks. This will be the first time I’ve flown in 8 years. I figured I’d visit the airports security link online to see what’s changed since 9/11. Sounds like I need to dress in a sweat suit and house slippers and bring nothing but a smile or it could delay my boarding. I guess the days of dressing nice for travel are over. What’s some of your suggestions for air travel & security?

Shearer

Practically Family
Definitely slip-off shoes... what a pain. Oh, and dress in layers. I'm usually freezing, but after the last minute dash through the airport, harried shoe shoe search at security and Southwest's cattle call I'm dying to strip down.

With the undressing, dressing, conveyor belts, and x-ray machine, whenever I'm going through security, I feel like I'm on a Mexican game show. I keep looking for the masked guy with a large sword and a busty babe in sequined gown.

I still wear a suit, though. Belt - definitely no braces. My zip up boots are easier than shoes (I'm not a loafer guy). They do make you remove your suit jacket and put that through the machine. Don't let the hassle deter you from wearing a suit, though, if that's what you want. Even the people in sweatsuits have to go through the same rigamarole.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Markbcvg

New in Town
I fly frequently and follow a pattern that works for me.

• Easy on/off shoes
  • Driver's license and frequent flyer card in a front pants pocket
  • Belt, wallet, keys, change, wrist watch, cell phone in the briefcase (or carry on) before arriving at the airport (unless you NEED the belt, then off right before the conveyor belt
  • Laptop and/or video camera out of their respective bags and in a tray
  • Suit jacket and overcoat out and in one of those same dirty trays :mad:
  • Say nothing buy "hi" and "thank you" to the security staff lol

Mark

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
While inconvenient, I am unwilling to sacrifice style for an easy time through security. While in line I simply untie my shoes, remove my jacket, and put everything I can in my carry on. With my laptop and other accessories I generally fill up 3-4 bins. It's not so bad!

Matt

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Cacklewack said:
While inconvenient, I am unwilling to sacrifice style for an easy time through security. While in line I simply untie my shoes, remove my jacket, and put everything I can in my carry on. With my laptop and other accessories I generally fill up 3-4 bins. It's not so bad!

Matt

lol lol lol Sorry- I just got this image of the guy in your avatar doing all that.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
staggerwing said:
Oops...I thought this thread was about leather jackets, silk scarves and goggles.
Well staggerwing....I wish that was what this was about. It looks as though you don't have to go through all this. Maybe if I have to travel more often it might be worth getting my own pilots license and buying a small airplane. hummmm....how much are P-51's going for these days?:D

Phil

A-List Customer
Mere pocket change :p

Oh, they're only about $1,000,000. And, if you go on eBay, they have the rocket mountings for only $1,000. Of course don't forget, all replacement parts will need to be cusom made, unless you have it retrofitted with newer parts.

Lonn

Familiar Face
9's

Dress to the nines. Everything. Stick pin, cuff links. Be an embarrassment to everyone involved. Not be embarrassed yourself, but embarrass them for what they think they need to subject you to. And do it with class.
We are here; at the Fedora Lounge, a lot of us it seems, because we respect ourselves and those around us enough to dress and act with class. This smoke and mirrors crap at the airport totally lacks any of the characteristics we embody. The charade needs to end. Be true to yourself and what you believe and endure the indignities inflicted on you with grace and compassion.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Lonn said:
Dress to the nines. Everything. Stick pin, cuff links. Be an embarrassment to everyone involved. Not be embarrassed yourself, but embarrass them for what they think they need to subject you to. And do it with class.
We are here; at the Fedora Lounge, a lot of us it seems, because we respect ourselves and those around us enough to dress and act with class. This smoke and mirrors crap at the airport totally lacks any of the characteristics we embody. The charade needs to end. Be true to yourself and what you believe and endure the indignities inflicted on you with grace and compassion.

I agree. The so-called "security" at U.S. airports is a joke at best and dangerous at worst. And it starts at the drive in to the airport...if I want to park in the short-term lot at BUR, I have to let some nincompoop "search" my trunk. Total time spent "searching"? About 2 seconds.

Yeah, like that's doing any good at all. What a waste of everyone's time and money. And it only gets worse from there.

I say dress nicely, take your time, and let the people behind you wait while you take care of your stuff. I NEVER walk through the metal detectors unless and until my possessions are fully in the screening device and out of the reach of sticky fingers behind me. And if selected for the idiotic "additional screening", I insist that my possessions be IN MY VIEW the entire time, even if that means standing right in the way of everyone else until the "security" boneheads arrange for that to happen. No way am I letting my personal belongings out of my sight.

I'm always polite, but I'm forceful and insistent.

Of course, given the option, I'll choose to fly myself any day. (Interesting story...a friend of mine had some numbskull "security" dude at an FBO try and prevent him from carrying a firearm *on his own plane*. On top of which, my friend was a police officer. Amazing.).

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Stinchcomb said:
Well staggerwing....I wish that was what this was about. It looks as though you don't have to go through all this. Maybe if I have to travel more often it might be worth getting my own pilots license and buying a small airplane. hummmm....how much are P-51's going for these days?:D

I saw a P51 on trade-a-plane yesterday for $2.4 million. Darn, wish I'd bought one when they were $7K with a spare engine in a crate. Nope, I don't fly commercial anymore. Unfortunately, there are some places I just can't go, since it takes just too long in a small aircraft, but I just won't subject myself to the abuse that commercial air travel has become.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
staggerwing said:
I saw a P51 on trade-a-plane yesterday for $2.4 million. Darn, wish I'd bought one when they were $7K with a spare engine in a crate. Nope, I don't fly commercial anymore. Unfortunately, there are some places I just can't go, since it takes just too long in a small aircraft, but I just won't subject myself to the abuse that commercial air travel has become.
That is why I hate to fly commercial, and wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have to. I feel like cattle being shuffled around and then having to breathe that stale smelling air in the cabin. My wife and I drive everywhere in the U.S. even if it takes two weeks.

And yes Flying Scotsman, I usually carry a firearm with me on my road trips. It seems to much trouble to check a pistol and ammo for a week in NJ, so I’m going to feel naked without it.

You know another nice private plane to own would be the Grumman HU-16C. Then you could land just about land anywhere and even sleep on it if you wanted. :)

Novella

Practically Family
Flying Scotsman said:
I agree. The so-called "security" at U.S. airports is a joke at best and dangerous at worst. And it starts at the drive in to the airport...if I want to park in the short-term lot at BUR, I have to let some nincompoop "search" my trunk. Total time spent "searching"? About 2 seconds.

Yeah, like that's doing any good at all. What a waste of everyone's time and money. And it only gets worse from there.

Oh, I don't know. Security is annoying, feels evasive, and is a hastle. It seems pointless sometimes, but I like to think that there is something that is effective about it all, even if it's not readily apparent. I have some pity for security people - I think they must have to put up with a lot. It's not their fault that such procedures have become increasingly necessary. If there's anything about airport security that makes me angry, it's those fools who think that hijacking and blowing up planes is a good idea.

I think there would be a bigger uproar if there were less security at airports. I don't really have any suggestions on how to improve the efficiency of airport security, so I don't complain. I just avoid wearing jewelry when I fly and complacently take off my shoes and jacket.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Flying:

In this post 9-11 world I will no longer fly.
I take the train or drive even have travel by motorcycle with sidecar.
All the hassel in airports and on planes is not worth it any more. When was the last time you had a over 40 year old dressed in fedora, suit and tie with leather brief case try to hijack a plane. We all know who is doing this type of actions and do very little to stop them. sorry :eek:fftopic: but just had to say that
As for what I travel in well of course a hat and suit with ties some times top coat . Have also been known to take wear fedora and leather jacket with tie or sweater no tie and news boy cap. Funny how you get treated on a train when you are dressed and have a suit case or two, The pullman crew ( not sure if that is the right term for them now ) really get a kick out of you and are very helpfull. Two funny stories about that: On a trip across the country on the California Zepher a older black gentalman come up to me he said he had been a porter for 50 years and it was nice to see folks dresssing for travel. It was very enjoyable to sit down with him and chat he sure had seen a lot and had some great stories to share. An yes he was dressed suit and tie no hat . Also shared a drink as the wheat fields of the midwest rolled by with a gentalman and what broke the ice was my fedora
So dressing as we do helps when you travel .

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
It has gotten SO ridiculous...

I think the next step is that they'll segregate us into males and females, make us strip naked, and then march through the machines like sheep through a counting vee. Truly this is out of control.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
OK - guess who the clever guy was, that stepped up to securitycheck in NY airport in his newly bought Corcoran paratrooper boots?
12 pairs of grommets to be opened, boots in hand, 12 pairs of grommets to be closed....:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:
Smile to the man:D It's for your own safety..:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael