Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Hey Spitfire, I've been going through alot of old posts and threads and I've noticed you've got a bit of a thing for the 1939 pattern leather/canvas flying boots. Since the pattern is identical to the 36'ers, why don't you call up Aero and see if they could custom make a pair for you? Aero has a good reputation for custom work, and I'm sure it wouldnt be hard make a pair that substituted the leather uppers for canvas. Who knows, if it works out maybe they would bring them into production? I would certainly pick up a pair if they brought them out :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
Nay, 'mosquito' boots as in USAAF Aero Medical Laboratories A-15 experimental 'were they, weren't they ever issued?' boots. Like tall jodhpur boots.
Such as these, or taller versions?

64a7bd900.jpg

I've seen riding boots that were similar to these, except essentially field boots with canvas uppers, but I don't think they were military. What variations did the USAAF experiment with, besides these?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hawk_Eye said:
Hey Spitfire, I've been going through alot of old posts and threads and I've noticed you've got a bit of a thing for the 1939 pattern leather/canvas flying boots. Since the pattern is identical to the 36'ers, why don't you call up Aero and see if they could custom make a pair for you? Aero has a good reputation for custom work, and I'm sure it wouldnt be hard make a pair that substituted the leather uppers for canvas. Who knows, if it works out maybe they would bring them into production? I would certainly pick up a pair if they brought them out :)

Hi HawkEye. Might just do that. But not before after Xmas. Money keeps rolling in the wrong direction right now ;)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
No, those aren't the boots to which I refer.

The US 'mosquito' boots were all leather with a strap on the instep. Very stylish. They weren't issued (according to Glenn Sweeting) and, too be frank, I am not completely sure that they ever really existed even at Aero Medical Lab. level. IMHO that institution is often used by manufacturers to legitimate 'fantasy' products. I have seen them in the old Avirex 'Cockpit' catalogue (which I admit I tend not to believe) and in the Old Aero Leathers/Transatlantic Clothing Co. catalogue (to which I give more credence). OK, I could be convinced...

There may be some confusion with the British Army tropical anti-mosquito boots, (notwithstanding called Mosquito Boots) which were definitely on-issue to desert troops and were knee-length suede slip-ons with laces at the top.

Mojave Jack said:
Such as these, or taller versions?

64a7bd900.jpg

I've seen riding boots that were similar to these, except essentially field boots with canvas uppers, but I don't think they were military. What variations did the USAAF experiment with, besides these?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My neighbor back home, who served in the Navy back in the early '50s, said the pilots he knew wore leather wellingtons, and that a secondhand pair he got off one of them was the most comfortable pair of shoes he ever owned; that he's been looking for a reasonably priced replacement for years.

beck33.jpg

These look pretty close, but it seems they're stopped making them and everywhere is out of brown.
http://www.amazon.com/FRYE-Mens-Jett-Boot/dp/B000JFHW4S

fishmeok

Vendor
If you re-sole, can they be widened?

I've been wearing my Cockpit 1980's vintage '36ers lately in the yard and snow and the lug soles Avirex put on them are way too slippery- also I'm a 9.5 E (U.S.) and these are a bit too tight on the pinky toe, probably a little small too, can't really wear thick socks comfortably. The length is definitely right though, they are way too long for a 9. If I have them re-soled, can they be widened a few MM at the same time? Anybody else been through this with a favorite pair?
Cheers
Mark

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Sold my pair of Cockpit '36 pattern boots for exact the same reason. They were too tight.
Had them widened though - but it was not enough.
But it can be done.

Great boots - they got "the vamp" right!;)
And the soles wrong.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Sure, boots can usually be stretched at least one width size, particularly if the tightness is in the vamp. The width of the vamp of a shoe is relatively independent of the width of the sole or welt. If the problem is the counter, it can still be stretched, but usually not quite so much due to its shape.

If you're thinking that you'll have to have a wider sole put on, I find that unlikely except in an extreme case. Most cobbler's shops will have a stretching machine - you'll need to leave the boots with them for a few days. Stretching shoes has been covered recently on other threads, just to say that you can help by using some softening agent (some say dubbin, some water) on the leather before you had them over. Dubbin darkens light-coloured leather, but that shouldn't be a problem in your case.

The only problem I can see is that the shaft of your boots may prevent them from fitting on some stretching machines. In that case you may have to buy a stretching tree. Good luck.

fishmeok said:
I've been wearing my Cockpit 1980's vintage '36ers lately in the yard and snow and the lug soles Avirex put on them are way too slippery- also I'm a 9.5 E (U.S.) and these are a bit too tight on the pinky toe, probably a little small too, can't really wear thick socks comfortably. The length is definitely right though, they are way too long for a 9. If I have them re-soled, can they be widened a few MM at the same time? Anybody else been through this with a favorite pair?
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks guys- I'm going to have to try having them widened- I don't need much, just another 1/4 inch or less. I wonder who actually made the the Cockpit boots- they say "English Made" on the inside.
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Nerd Alert!

So being the cheap type instead of taking the boots in to be stretched and re-soled I soaked them in water and wore them with 2 pairs of thick socks around the house until dry (took a couple of days on and off) (My wife doesn't even look at me sideways anymore when I do things like this. Not really sure what that means ). The fit is pretty good now, just a tad snug on the left with a thick pair of wool socks. I noticed that the Avirex boots seem to be a bit taller that the other brands (13.5 inches from the top of the sole to the top of the boot), how tall are the Aero's?

I kind of overdid the full-gear look (Nerd!), but here's how they look in the snow
Cheers
Mark

IMG_0949.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
My Aeros were 14.75 inches from heel to top when new, they have compressed a bit since then with wear. I'll see if I can get a pic up sometime in the next day or so.

Marv

A-List Customer
I think that the "Look" looks pretty damn good to me, definately get away with it during cold weather especially in the snow....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
My neighbor back home, who served in the Navy back in the early '50s, said the pilots he knew wore leather wellingtons, and that a secondhand pair he got off one of them was the most comfortable pair of shoes he ever owned; that he's been looking for a reasonably priced replacement for years.

beck33.jpg

These look pretty close, but it seems they're stopped making them and everywhere is out of brown.
http://www.amazon.com/FRYE-Mens-Jett-Boot/dp/B000JFHW4S
Red Wing used to* make something very similar - a smooth grain wellie in a deep, smooth reddish-brown, with a round-point toe.

*I say used to - smooth brown leather went out of style with popular priced boot makers. It is only slowly coming back into favor.

dfukumoto

New in Town
Justin Ropers

Fletch, these Frye's are very similar to Justin Ropers. Ropers are technically "cowboy boots" but I believe the Blue Angels used to wear them as flight gear.

They seem to sell them everywhere in the States and in all sizes. I own two pair, black and something called Apache. Very comfortable fitting boots requiring little break-in.

DF

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Heres my aeros in the snow, as I said before they are roughly 14 1/2 inches tall. Not the brightest picture, as you can see its been a fairly dark day today.

stuff024.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dfukumoto said:
Fletch, these Frye's are very similar to Justin Ropers. Ropers are technically "cowboy boots" but I believe the Blue Angels used to wear them as flight gear.

They seem to sell them everywhere in the States and in all sizes. I own two pair, black and something called Apache. Very comfortable fitting boots requiring little break-in.

DF
Yep, I have a pair of their Corona Tans myself. I agree about their comfort. The brown varieties are all grained or distressed, tho - you're limited to black if you want an all-over, gloss finish. That's the industry standard.

fishmeok

Vendor
Hawk_Eye said:
Heres my aeros in the snow, as I said before they are roughly 14 1/2 inches tall. Not the brightest picture, as you can see its been a fairly dark day today.

stuff024.jpg

I thought this was funny enough to double post from the VLJ. maybe we should start a "show us your flight boots and sheepskin jackets" thread...:)

You know, my wife laughs at me A LOT...

Hey Hawk- here's the American version, it's 4 degrees F here in Minnesota today, B-3, Eastman AAF A-1 sweater, Cockpit '36ers.

I showed your post to my wife as proof that there are, in fact, other people who dress the way I do. She laughed, made me put on her glasses and go outside to take a picture. :D

We must be related in some way- got any French Canadian family ties?
Cheers
Mark

IMG_1243.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
What's so funny???

One more to the "Show us your 1936 pattern boots and sheepskin flyingjacket"

WPGIrvindec2008006.jpg

Wonder if our sweet ladies are still laughing, when their tiny little feet are frozen in their highheeled slingbacks...;) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic