Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Hey, Im pretty sure it hasnt been discussed before, but what kind of leather are 36 pattern boots made of? Obviously theyre lined with sheepskin, but what are the shells made of? Cowhide is my only guess, I cant see them being horse or goat. anyone know for sure?

HermannHKG

New in Town
WPG 36ers

Just received a email from WPG, they are taking pre-orders for their 36ers for $275 now, delivery will be end of Nov, check it out, guys.

Rdgs,

Hermann

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Im not sure how great of a deal these are. 275.00 converted to pounds is 175.00 GBP, only 15 pounds away from a pair of Aeros, and judging by the one picture provided they dont look near as nice (granted Aeros have the issue with the vamp, but it looks like the WPG boots have a plethora of detail problems).

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Well spotted, H_E. Since the rise of the dollar, I've had to rethink WPG's product and will be going with Aero, stocks permitting. WPG+customs=way over budget.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
At the time (and to a certain extent more recently) in Britain, it was (is) not usual to differentiate between horsehide and cowhide. Both are found in civilian footwear and clothing, usually labelled 'Genuine Leather' or something like that (i.e. not differentiated according to species).

Heavy boots are usually made from unsplit (therefore thick) hide, and as goatskin starts out thinner it (usually) couldn't be used to make heavy boots. In Britain cowhide was more common than horsehide before and during WW, but not by so much as today. The chances are that a pair of original 1936 Pattern Boots, Flying are cowhide, but there could be horsehide examples. During the war, leather was leather anyway - they used whatever they could get. That's from people who were in the footwear business at the time, by the way.

Hawk_Eye said:
Hey, Im pretty sure it hasnt been discussed before, but what kind of leather are 36 pattern boots made of? Obviously theyre lined with sheepskin, but what are the shells made of? Cowhide is my only guess, I cant see them being horse or goat. anyone know for sure?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
What size are you? I know where there is a pair of nearly-new Aero '36 Pattern boots for sale.

Creeping Past said:
Well spotted, H_E. Since the rise of the dollar, I've had to rethink WPG's product and will be going with Aero, stocks permitting. WPG+customs=way over budget.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thank you. I seem to remember that the pair in question are a (UK) size 10. I will make further enquiries as to their continued availability if you wish.

Do you wish me to do so?

Creeping Past said:
:eek:

Thank you for asking. I'm a 10.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
Yes, please, HJ.

Price is a consideration, but that's a way down the line...

OK, the boots are available. They are from the first series (some people feel they are better than the current version, some don't) that Aero last offered about four years ago. Apparently the old guy who used to make them became ill or something and they had to find a new snob. They differ from the current version in the buckle and the colour of the sheepskin lining, which is slightly more honey coloured (the current ones are white) and the heel (which is more like that on original boots).

The soles show that they have been worn outdoors a little (three times the vendor reckons) but the wear is obviously not pronounced. The uppers show no creasing or scuffing - in other words almost as new.

Now (having gone through all of that) the size may be a problem. It says '10' on the sole (no size inside) but they seem to be significantly smaller than that. I take a size 8 (UK) and I tried them on and they were a good fit with normal stockings. That, apparently, is why the vendor has not worn them. He feels that the sheepskin lining will compress with use, but it's difficult to see that they will make up 2 sizes, I think.

The vendor is asking £100 for them - a little over half the new price ex Aero plus postage. What do you want to do?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
It says '10' on the sole (no size inside) but they seem to be significantly smaller than that. I take a size 8 (UK) and I tried them on and they were a good fit with normal stockings.

Thanks so much for the detailed appraisal. I agree; even with the lining compressed I imagine that a pair of thick socks would still make them a comfortable size 8.

So I say thank you, but I'll pass. That's a great shame: they sound perfect and it's a very good price.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Sound judgement, CP. Nothing worse than boots that don't fit. I sold a pair of Aero '36 pattern boots on the forum earlier in the year and I admit I will kind of miss them this Winter.

Based on your decision, I have agreed to trade the vendor a surplus G-1 for them.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
First reply warning! Not looking to get shot down by any of you "Aces" for going off topic but:

A few years ago I bought a pair of flying boots from the wonderful Aero. They are brown Type A-15's and were a sample pair which just happened to be in my size. I've not seen these offered since, not sure why.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Nay, 'mosquito' boots as in USAAF Aero Medical Laboratories A-15 experimental 'were they, weren't they ever issued?' boots. Like tall jodhpur boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou