Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

/|\

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Most of the parts came from Moss Motors (link to seats). That's where the upholstery and carpet came from. One thing about the upholstery kit: The trim around the top, including the rear of the cockpit and the caps at the top of the doors, were red. My first '66 MGB (a hand-me-down from my mom, who bought it new) were black. So I had to buy the black sills (or whatever they're called), and the upholsterer got some black material for the cockpit trim.

One of these days I need to sell off my extra parts. Like, I don't really need another refinished dash! :p

Thanks for the compliment. :)

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
another comment about the 36 Pattern boots held by the Australian War Memorial...just noticed too that the soles don't appear to be welt sewn double soles, but single ( albeit still quite thick) leather, but brass screwed? perhaps...I noticed on other repro's that they were welt sewn.
not that that's a problem for RMW's. :)

xt40

Familiar Face
beautiful interior. the mgb was a really lovely car especially in red with chrome wire wheels until the mid seventies until they ruined it by putting it on stilts and fitting comedy plastic bumpers to comply with some american safety test.

/|\

One of the Regulars
Thanks, xt40 and Smithy.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I've started a 'favourite car' thread here.

We now return you to Flying Boots. ;)

kowalski

Practically Family
raf flying boot pat 1936

hello, I read the whole topic of coral flying boot pat 36, no, and still do not know, Help me, where in the end they can be purchased ? in Eastman?, Aero?, ....
Those who presented usser Hawk_Eye is closest to the original in my opinion

already written Aero and Eastman and waiting for the answer

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Thank Spitfire , and invite you to comment on my original Irvin jacket:)

post script, the best and most faithful reproduction remains
1) Eastman
2) Aero
or vice versa :)

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
look like regular shoes, very flat in the fingers, narrow sole, very soft compared to the original
should resolve this issue, are not very accurate,
Leather is a strange, dull color, they should ask how they do it in Eastman or Aero
do not buy as there will be better
I buy look and quality, not-the tab evidence

Last edited:

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Oh dear..hope RM Williams don't see this; a competitor making them...or maybe if they do they will go ahead and make their own versions. I'm no expert, but looking at the D.Lewis boots I'm still not convinced about the vamp...or the open lap seam. The shape doesn't seem right..I wonder what the other guys think?
p.s I'm still putting my money on RMW's..fingers crossed

kowalski

Practically Family
not just me so I can see, I pay twice as much, but that was wery OK
i like drMartens only made in UK , I walk in these shoes, my wife bought Martens made in china, the same model, and the fundamental difference! QUALITY ,

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The Lewis boots look pretty much like my Aero boots - and even with a more true to original "vamp". Allthough they still haven't got the hidden stitces right, as we all believe a true original 1936 Pattern boot should have.

Still - if Lewis Leather made flying boots for officers of the RAF during WW2 - the open stitches should/could be right and just as "original".
Or maybe they just didn't bother to do them right.

Last edited:

Windsock

A-List Customer
What can you say when someone has a go- good on them I suppose, but I agree, they haven't captured that iconic shape, the seams look quite cheap and the fleece looks like polyester.

I certainly hope that Lewis has paid the Australian War Memorial for the rights to use that shot of the girl inspecting the BEDGGOOD boots in Melbourne :p

A bit misleading and just wrong.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/001991

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Spitfire You wrote ;,,The Lewis boots look pretty much like " I agree, but almost makes a big difference :)
Mr Windsoc, rightly pointed out these differences,

Last edited:

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
What can you say when someone has a go- good on them I suppose, but I agree, they haven't captured that iconic shape, the seams look quite cheap and the fleece looks like polyester.

I certainly hope that Lewis has paid the Australian War Memorial for the rights to use that shot of the girl inspecting the BEDGGOOD boots in Melbourne :p

A bit misleading and just wrong.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/001991

That's a bit naughty of them....can't imagine you'd find this photo just anywhere, they'd have to have searched for it. They'd have a hard time arguing what relationship Lewis has to Bedggood in Melb....
that said though I still wouldn't buy them, even at 350 squids :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You guys are right about "almost". Until RMW comes up with their remake of these famous boots, I'll stay happy with my Aero ones.

L1010121.jpg

Last edited:

Windsock

A-List Customer
That's a bit naughty of them....can't imagine you'd find this photo just anywhere, they'd have to have searched for it. They'd have a hard time arguing what relationship Lewis has to Bedggood in Melb....

I dropped a note to Lewis querying the use of it. Derek politely replied that he'd been sent the image by a friend and that he'd presumed it was a shot of a Northampton factory. He's since taken it down from the site.

WRT the RMW project, i've not sent the boots yet as I decided that I really ought to send a pair of Air Ministry stamped black leather boots as well so that they can see them and compare. From my experience they are essentially the same but the AM pair I have "appear" to have slightly wider tops, but these are a large size (12) and are well used so may have stretched. I'll send them off this week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael