Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well gents...here I am in Iowa, looking at 6" of snow, with my SM '36s (brown) at the ready. They do look and feel like a quality piece of work, and the size (10), initially tight, should be just right once the fleece mashes down a bit.

My question for you current SM owners is...how have they held up in the field? Any concerns arisen re water damage? Wear? Have you modded the smooth soles for better traction? (I don't know about you, but I can skid on new leather soles on a smooth dry floor.)

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Fletch:

I've got the WPG boots with the stock leather sole and rubber heel and strangely enough the traction is pretty good in the snow. We have had a lot of ice in my neck of the woods so occassionally I have strapped some Yak-Trax on my boots. That basically makes them unstoppable. They do leave some "dimples" in the leather sole but those work themselves out the next time the boot are worn without the Yak-Trax.

I've worn them almost daily since November and they are holding up very well. I treated them on day 1 with Kelly's Dubbin and my feet stay dry and warm.

Noel

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Have a pair of Aero 1936 pattern boots (leather sole/rubber heel).
The only thing I've done - or my local cobbler has done - is adding a thin rubber sole on the leathersole.
Keeps the damp out, gives more milage and - as I later found out - a rather good grip on ice and snow too.
My wife and I was out walking the other day. She wore Sorrell Boots and I wore my flying boots.
She looked like Bambi on the ice - I just walked through.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
!CC0KPNQ!mk~$(KGrHqYOKjQE0jY20Vf7BNMdcVQBew~~_3.JPG
These boots are AERO but with an added slim rubber traction sole -- great for mud, ice and snow. Pretty sure the photo posted up by FISHMEOK was the AERO std photo along with the verbiage about "tack toothed" bespoke cobblers. Apparently they stopped making the boots - cannot find them on their new web site. Been a great pair going on 3 seasons now. I use Pecard's boot oil to nice effect.

What's sort of fascinating is that they are not marked or labelled in any way as to maker, country of origin or material. Just a size indent on the arch.

Last edited:

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Excellent!

A very nice pair of boots. Note the saddle stitching on the vamp and counter seams and the shape of the top of the vamp. Few of the reproductions have got this right.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Well, the status of Bedggood's '36 pattern boots is a bit different to boots contracted by the AM in the UK. If you define war-time RAF issue as 'original' you'd probably have to say that they aren't, although Bedggood certainly made boots in Australia during WW2 and they were issued to the RAAF.

The tag looks post-war to me, but Tim is the FL expert on these, I believe. I bet he can advise you on the date, etc. I have seen them discussed often on the RAF Collectors and Re-enactors Forum, you could try there.

A fine pair of boots anyway!

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hi David, you'll have to clear your PM box, it's full Mate. Anyhow, here's what I can offer. Sorry can't help with specifics about a date, but they are definitely a lightly used Wartime manufactured 1936 pattern boots. Anywhere up to 1945 I would say, probably later since they are so new looking. A reasonably small size, shame they're not larger. The tags are fine, that's how they should look.

HJ, that's an hilarious criteria for defining original or repro.... I have a pair of BG's exactly the same only well worn which the Owner wore downing several ME's during the BoB flying in an RAF Sqn and later leading the attack on Amiens, certainly not repros.... :)

Bedggood no longer exists, I posted some shots of the former factory which was in Melbourne over in the flying boots thread. It's now apartments.

Nice catch, where'd you find them?

You should post them on the other thread to keep it all together.

kowalski

Practically Family
I bought them in California, Daly City, United States by ebay, the seller knows what kind of shoes was (good description ) boots made Australia, is the size uk or us? i think it specified uk
marked size 8 or 9

HEEL TO TIP MEASURES 11 1 / 2 INCHES OUTSIDE

4 3 / 8 INCHES AT THE BALL OUTSIDE

ONE INCH HEEL

AND

14 1 / 2 INCHES TALL
I think not that small , I wear the number 41,5 or 42 eu size
why I thought it was a repro? because they look like new :D
from the time heYou showed his brown shoes BG, fell ill on them, I had many offers to buy raf boot, but I fell in love BG;)

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have a pair of BG's exactly the same only well worn which the Owner wore downing several ME's during the BoB flying in an RAF Sqn and later leading the attack on Amiens, certainly not repros.... :)

I had no idea you had a pair that flew in the BoB Andrew. Fantastic to think those boots were kicking the rudder pedals on a Spit or Hurri to skid a Me into the gunsight!

Hope you guys are a little drier up there now mate ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Message for Paddy

As Andrew says above, can this thread be joined to the "Flying Boots" thread here in Outerwear. Far nicer to have all of this in one place.

Cheers and TIA.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
With Kowalski in the group it's just like Battle of Britain all over again. The poles don't speak the Queens english and they just wont hold formation :)
Cheers Kowalski!!! ;) Love to have you onboard!

kowalski

Practically Family
for my ancestors,( told my), who fought in the Battle of Britain ,was a bigger problem to speak English well than airplanes luftwaffe:D
Gadzooks:mad:;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925