Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
With Kowalski in the group it's just like Battle of Britain all over again. The poles don't speak the Queens english and they just wont hold formation :)

lol

Absolutely super pair of boots you have picked up there Kowalski, look after them and they'll last at least another 70 years.

Windsock

A-List Customer
"What's happening? , What's so loud? someone sees the bandits? all the time to look around"

Sounds like a line from The BoB...

Tim, sorry I thought i'd told you. Yes, you do have some very compelling reasons there, but I have always thought that they ought to go the the NZFPM, or if not there the AWM. You are difintely next on the list. ;)

Windsock

A-List Customer
RM Prototypes in production

Spoke with RM today, they are well into the production of the prototype but they are still sourcing correct sheepskin (weight, colour etc). They advised they've recently had an enquiry from someone else as well so if it's one of us there's no need to follow it up with them, i'll pass on details when available.

They have confirmed they will match as closely as possible all the details of the original AM pair that I provided, with the exception of the rubber heel block where they will probably use their own for the protos. They are building one boot to send to me for comment.

We discussed the labelling. Is anyone aware whether it is possible to freely reproduce the AM Kings Crown and AM logo or would this be copyrighted? I suggested possibly having this on one puller as per the originals and their own branded logo on the other in each boot.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
We discussed the labelling. Is anyone aware whether it is possible to freely reproduce the AM Kings Crown and AM logo or would this be copyrighted? I suggested possibly having this on one puller as per the originals and their own branded logo on the other in each boot.

Shouldn't be a bother Andrew, ELC happily include the AM KC on their labelling.

So if they can do it, why not? Makes sense though as it's a defunct Ministry now.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Andrew..great news. I knew they'd do it. I know you said that you'll pass on details as they come out...but can I ask in advance ( as I'm a bit excited ) will they be considering an ankle strap? as per the Beddgood versions held at the AMW? and I wonder if they'll be using the Tan Willow hides thats their standard or will they be sourcing something new altogether..

ps I wasn't the other person making the enquiry, but I did make an enquiry (a few actually) with Michael Williams (Production manager)about making a 3-buckle officer/cavalry boot. Worn in the Boer war, then the First it's a top boot, with lace up vamp, gusseted shaft with 3 buckle strap closure. In some ways it shadows the 36 Pattern boot, as an important example of military footwear, and has its place in history not too dissimilar as the 36 Pattern boot. But when I spoke to Michael he gave me a resounding 'no'...reason given - they do not alter existing patterns or create new ones for bespoke items. I did try to convince him that the boot could be part of their Top Boot/Equestrian range as a 'made to Order/measure' option..but he wasn't budging. So i gave up. It was a disappointing response..
But am very glad they've taken this up.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Ben over at RAF reenactors suggested that if they're really good they might fall prey to a reseller removing a second label and passing them off as originals. Maybe a good point but it may not be an issue as by the looks of it they'll probably cost more than a top shelf pair of originals! Anyhow, it's open to suggestions.

WB, they opted to match the pattern of the AM stamped UK boots, which is a good thing as they are considered "the" '36 pattern boot. Therefore no strap on the standard boot but as they are handmade to order it wouldn't be an issue to have that added.

As I understand it they were going to use French calf for the uppers.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Oh I like that idea Soren. I reckon that's the go.

It's not the strap he's thinking of it's the leather label that is stitched to the puller.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
If French calf they're using it'll definitely be top shelf. I didn't see the pair you sent in, so i'm wondering what the toe shape will be/look like. The Beddgoods to me seem to have a rounder and higher toe shape, while the UK pattern seems to be a flatter/lower toe..would that be a fair assessment?

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Andrew
Do you know at this stage if RMW's will be doing them in brown? and also when the prototype comes out, will Floungers get a chance to give some feedback?
cheers
wb

Ponsenby

Familiar Face
All,

Much talk but no actual decent reports anywhere on the Motorcowboy 36'ers. I spied a new pair on eBay recently and took a punt on them and got them for $250!

So, to set minds at ease and to try to help others in their decisions for buying, as I had no other reference myself;

The soles are well stitched and they have used quality leather for them. Not the scary Indian piss tanned leather you see on some repro boots! The heels are rubber but not of wartime type but the rest of the heel is stacked leather so will accommodate a more appropriate heel rubber if desired.

Overall leather used is NOT the stiff "won't break in if you dragged them behnd a tractor" stuff some have said they are made of. it is a decent thickness but supple, not hard. i don't have a micrometer so cannot comment further! The pair I got are a dark russet, not unlike a new pair of Blundstones.

The vamp seam, the all important vamp seam, is 100% correct in that it is flat. I think this is the most impressive part of the boot. All seams on these boots are of bespoke quality. They will last a lifetime if cared for correctly. Th

The wool lining is not white but rather a tan shade and shows as an orange tan shade in pics. Not too bad really, not per your standard English made and issued wartime boot but quite acceptable for a Dominion made private purchase boot. I suspect the tanning process had something to do with it, it doesn't look dyed to me.

Shape is quite good I think, once they are on they look per normal boots. They have a nice "sharkfin" profile toe, not boxy like Bedggoods. Laid flat they look a bit cowboy bootish, but this is purely because they are flat. This is NOT apparent when worn.

The buckle is bogus. Nuff said. I will be replacing them soon as I find a suitable... er... replacement.

Fit is superb, I know they are bespoke on the Motorcowboy website, but I punted on these and they fit like a glove. And the price was absolutley right. Would I but them at full price from Motorcowboy? Probably not, not now the RM's are lurking in the shadows, but they are great boots nonetheless. If you can turn up second hand ones then I would recommend them.

Steve
DSCF5585.jpg

DSCF5586.jpg

Pics from the sale page;

RbHttpHandlere.jpg

RbHttpHandler.jpg

RbHttpHandlerr.jpg

Last edited:

Windsock

A-List Customer
WB, at this point they are only looking at black for the protoypes. They are using my sz 12 pair of Brit made AM stamped boots as they would be the type which would be more in demand.

I received a call today from RMW advising that despite all efforts they'd hit a snag with sewing the sheepskin they are trying to find a way to work around this.

It'd be useful if anyone who was seriously interested could pm me so that I can give the other company ideas of possible numbers as they have asked the question.

The saga continues.

Last edited:

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
WB, at this point they are only looking at black for the protoypes. They are using my sz 12 pair of Brit made AM stamped boots as they would be the type which would be more in demand.

I received a call today from RMW advising that despite all efforts they'd hit a snag with sewing the sheepskin they are trying to find a way to work around this.

It'd be useful if anyone who was seriously interested could pm me so that I can give the other company ideas of possible numbers as they have asked the question.

The saga continues.

hmm....who's the other company?
hope they can solve the problem. Strange that RMW's have technical issues, but then I'm not there trying to reproduce a 1930's pattern.
thanks Andrew
wb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR