Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Windsock

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
How do you gents feel about the others (1939/canvas types)?
Shouldn't there be straps and buckels at the top?

Supposed to be exactly the same pattern as the '36'ers Spit :rolleyes:

Not suggesting this is the same pair but I had read ages ago on the RAF+C Reenactor site about a fellow who made his own 39'ers from, I think, a pair of army boots...

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Just had a mail from WPG telling that he expects (hope for) the 1936 pattern boots to be in stock next month. Looking forward to see them.

In your correspondance with Jerry, did he mention the possible selling price for the boots?

Aviakid

New in Town
Found the attached images in an old folder on my PC, the first advert is from Jan 1931 and the boots were on ebay a few years back, I think the boots may date to earlier than the ad as the construction is simpler, however, I could be wrong. The 2nd ad is from 1944 the boots were also on ebay a while back (looking great in brown), the large printed label dates from the war years.
Flyingboot.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010011.jpg

March231944.jpg

DLewisboots2.jpg

DLewisboots1.jpg

DLewisboots4.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I bought a pair from motorcowboy a few years ago when they first released them, and if they are still anything like what they were like then, I'd advise you to stay away. Fleece was orange, hideously innaccurate buckle, the upper was the wrong shape, and the leather was like iron, wore them for a month straight and hardly made a dent in them. Now they may have revamped it by now, but if they havent changed they are definately not worth the 500.00 price tag

Jovan

Suspended
That's odd... the leather they use on the James Dean engineer boots looks like it breaks in nicely, I wonder why they wouldn't use the same on the 1936 pattern boots? [huh] That said, the Aeros posted by another member look worth the price tag and are about $100 less here in the States. I'd really like to own a pair of these someday. :)

Thanks for the info, and a great thread by everyone.

Speedster

Practically Family
Hawk_Eye said:
Thats gorgeous the way those Aeros have broken in and folded down. Im thinking about getting a pair of those myself. How long did you have to wear them to get them to that point?

PADDY's boots are original, so guess it has taken some 60+ years to break them in...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hawk_Eye said:
Hey Spitfire, would it be possible to post a pic or 2 of how your pair of Aero 36'ers are breaking in?

Here you go. Just after a stroll in the park.

Dortheskrammemarts08004.jpg

And from the front:

Dortheskrammemarts08003.jpg

I think they are breaking in nicely.

(BTW - Speedster - I do believe Paddys 1936 pattern boots are Aero too.
But why not ask the man himself. Hey Paddy! Are you with us, mate?)

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
apologies for not responding sooner after you graciously posted pics for me. They do look like theyre breaking in rather nicely. Have you treated them with anything to waterproof them, or just left them as is? The last pair I had from motorcowboy would let water in from the bottoms of the leather soles, leading to some rather soggy socks.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The only thing I did, in fact to to make the soles last longer - with a waterproof sideeffect - was to have a thin fibersole added.
It works. No soggy socks!:)

rgraham

A-List Customer
Those boots were made for flying, and that's just what they'll do. They weren't made for walking, in the Monday morning dew.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy