Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fnishing Black Leather?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I have an old black biker jacket a girlfriend bought me back in '92 (during my Ramones phase;) ). It's a good quality jacket and has broken in nicely over the years, and I keep it moisturized with Pecards. My question is whenever I see old biker jackets from the 50s and 60s they look a lot shinier than mine, it's mostly a satin look now. Is there some way to achieve this patina to the leather? I noticed on the Pecards site they sell some products that say they are for shiny leathers, but mine was not like that new. Any suggestions?
thanks!

Rufus

Practically Family
Gabba Gabba Hey JMS..

It will depend what sort of make, and hide your jacket is, and how it was tanned.

A lot of 1980s bike jackets were of the 'mall' variety, using very low grade steerhide, and sometimes even lambskin.

These jackets quickly lose their finish, and can appear 'dull'.

A Good jacket, like the Ramones, will last you a life time.

Rufus

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Well this jacket came from a store that only sold biker wear. I remember it costing between $200-$300 back then, and I know it's cowhide. The finish looks pretty much the way it always did as far as I can remember. I tried looking up the maker online but couldn't find any info. I know it will never compare to those $1000 Buco repos, and I like it fine the way it is. It's too sentimental to trade up at this point.:eek:

Rufus

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Well this jacket came from a store that only sold biker wear. I remember it costing between $200-$300 back then, and I know it's cowhide. The finish looks pretty much the way it always did as far as I can remember. I tried looking up the maker online but couldn't find any info. I know it will never compare to those $1000 Buco repos, and I like it fine the way it is. It's too sentimental to trade up at this point.:eek:

It sounds like it's got a fairly matt finish to the hide... It may be due to the price range, it's the softer, belly hide that's been used. A lot of imported jackets are made with it, and it doesn't have that glossier finish the higher jackets have.

I know exactly what you mean though..I wouldn't trade my Ramones jacket (mine's an old Highwayman jacket) for an 'upmarket' one either. It's the sentimental value! :)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the valuable info Rufus. And by the way, not only do I have Tankgirl pulled for my box, but I also check out your blog on a regular basis, it's in my list of "people's blogs that I must go to at least once a month." Great stuff!

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Maybe this background info will help, though I don't know how you'd make a newer jacket have that older finish.
I have a Schott Perfecto from 1974, wore it on a motorcycle for years. It is broken in and the black is glossy. It's had Harley's (whoever at the time made it, I heard Pecards) leather stuff put on it maybe twice.
Next was a Bates brand of the same jacket, bought in 1992. It has maybe 30,000 riding miles on it. It started out glossy but now has a matte finish. Pecards does not make it shine more.

Both jackets are heavy, heavy cowhide. In fact, I got the Bates very cheap because the store said they couldn't sell them, nobody wanted jackets that heavy (so I bought one for my wife, too).

If you do want your jacket shiny black, Doc Bailey's Leather Black will probably do it. I'm sure it's online, I picked up some at Sturgis. It will stain, so apply it outside or in a garage or someplace where the floor doesn't matter. And, it's not a forever thing, it will go six months or so and then just kind of fade back to what the original leather color was. I use it on my leather saddlebags and it lasts all season. As I haven't bothered putting it on my jacket, I don't want to say that it will come out "just like" older leather, but I think it would make a difference.

Rufus

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Thanks for all the valuable info Rufus. And by the way, not only do I have Tankgirl pulled for my box, but I also check out your blog on a regular basis, it's in my list of "people's blogs that I must go to at least once a month." Great stuff!

Thanks JMS.. Hope you like the new Tankie Stuff..oddly enough Dee Dee Ramone is starring in our latest story..

SM7_1_blog1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
I guess the phase was dressing like that (I'm a little long in the tooth for that now), but I still listen :) .

Heh... I know what you mean.... like many old punks, I find myself on the 'rockabilly retirement plan,' which kicked in a year or two ago when I finally had to admit the Marlowe midriff was reaching the sort of proportions where drainpipes really weren't flattering (think: Humpty Dumpty). :eek:

Corky

Practically Family
How to get a black leather coat to shine

I once owned a big double-breasted black horsehide leather trench coat which the Dutch use when riding cycles.

Sometimes, one sees The Bad Guy wearing one of these in a WW2 movie.

At a flea market in Amsterdam in the 1970's, I found a stall with a bunch of them for sale.

They guy in the stall had a whole pile of the trench coats, a tin of regular black shoe polish, and an electric shoe buffer.

He was rubbing black shoe polish (the semi-solid, not a liquid) all over a trench coat, then buffing it to a shine with the electric polisher.

I found one that fit perfectly and bought it from him for about twenty dollars.

I used the black shoe polish and a brush or electric buffer to restore the shine whenever it got dull.

icecold

One of the Regulars
You know, i think that the satin finish actually indicates better leather... The shinier the leather, the more it has been artificially smoothened/corrected. Assuming that Aero's leather is pretty good, i'm observing right now how the shiny black FQHH pretty quickly gets rather satin feel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff