Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first leather jacket

Yun_bw

New in Town
Tried out couple different brand yesterday I think I have a better idea of what specific fit I want:

Slight drop shoulder with more volume/width on the sleeve (my clothes are more relaxed and oversize fit). Jacket length probably sit between waist and hip with a body cut but some tapering down. Something like the model pic but less exaggerated and more refine.

I think it would be best if I visit Johnson leather in person or I heard thedi leather will visit LA for a custom event (TBD) so I can get some input in person with the makers
IMG_8936.jpeg

Overall I was surprised with himel bro leather double rider where it have a slight drop shoulder on me while crop nicely around the waist region but the style is def not something I would wear on daily basis

The rest are fine creek leather, double helix work and free note. Probably my fav fit is the fine creek jack where it’s sit above hip and doesn’t have the chest pocket, however the sleeve is so tight it’s something I don’t think I can bear with it since I do wear slightly more oversize top.

Attachments

• IMG_8922.jpeg
    IMG_8922.jpeg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8911.jpeg
    IMG_8911.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8914.jpeg
    IMG_8914.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8916.jpeg
    IMG_8916.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8921.jpeg
    IMG_8921.jpeg
    904.9 KB · Views: 118

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Barneveld Remix will tick most your boxes.

Or if you want to get a Japanese jacket, either of the Mobsters, RMC Mobster is drop 4 chest to hem, I think Toys McCoy one would be drop 6. I’ve seen a guy here in Classifieds who has/had both, look him up.

Yun_bw

New in Town
Barneveld Remix will tick most your boxes.

Or if you want to get a Japanese jacket, either of the Mobsters, RMC Mobster is drop 4 chest to hem, I think Toys McCoy one would be drop 6. I’ve seen a guy here in Classifieds who has/had both, look him up.
is there a jump in the quality difference between the top-of-the-line Japanese maker (real McCoy) vs the US maker by johnson leather? just curious as there's quite a big difference in price and want to get a better understanding of where that extra cost would go.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Tried out couple different brand yesterday I think I have a better idea of what specific fit I want:

Slight drop shoulder with more volume/width on the sleeve (my clothes are more relaxed and oversize fit). Jacket length probably sit between waist and hip with a body cut but some tapering down. Something like the model pic but less exaggerated and more refine.

I think it would be best if I visit Johnson leather in person or I heard thedi leather will visit LA for a custom event (TBD) so I can get some input in person with the makers View attachment 550984

Overall I was surprised with himel bro leather double rider where it have a slight drop shoulder on me while crop nicely around the waist region but the style is def not something I would wear on daily basis

The rest are fine creek leather, double helix work and free note. Probably my fav fit is the fine creek jack where it’s sit above hip and doesn’t have the chest pocket, however the sleeve is so tight it’s something I don’t think I can bear with it since I do wear slightly more oversize top.
Now you describe what you want more, it reminds me of the custom that denim dentist got from Field Leathers, cropped and boxy fit, and I think its the nicest one I've seen in this type of fit.

Unfortunately Field Leathers doesn't accept custom orders anymore though.

1697153045771.png

Yun_bw

New in Town
Now you describe what you want more, it reminds me of the custom that denim dentist got from Field Leathers, cropped and boxy fit, and I think its the nicest one I've seen in this type of fit.

Unfortunately Field Leathers doesn't accept custom orders anymore though.

View attachment 551916
yes, that fit is ideal for me. I think custom is probably the best route for me to go, currently been debating between Johnson Leather (have to make time to go to SF) or Thedi Leather (heard he will come to LA for a custom event)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
is there a jump in the quality difference between the top-of-the-line Japanese maker (real McCoy) vs the US maker by johnson leather? just curious as there's quite a big difference in price and want to get a better understanding of where that extra cost would go.
Tough question. I can't answer it without being biased in my opinion which is no help to you. Instead I will encourage you to try them on in person. It's worth the time if you are willing to make the trip.
Image1.jpg

S&S has RMC, try every RMC jacket they have, especially the new fit ones. They are wider in the shoulder and chest in the same tag size compared to the previous fits, but the hem stays the same I believe. The new fit Mobster I had had a taper, this will be the biggest difference between the new fit RMC and the DH or the FC.
RMC Mobster 40 closed.JPG

For Johnson try on their Barneveld Remix and M200, both has wider and rouded shoulder. The difference is Barneveld is wider and M200 is slimmer.
JL Barneveld Remix Medium closed.JPG

JL M200 sheep closed.JPG

If you are looking for Thedi I would wait until next spring when LA Inspiration happens. And try on all his jackets in his booth.

As for pricing, Japanese jackets are mostly ¥220k to ¥280k in Japan. The western dealers put about 600 dollars markup on top of that. But that is still less than a ticket to Japan. Also most Japanese jackets are pre-orders so even if you go there there might not be stock jackets for you to try on. This is the advantage of western dealers, comes at a cost but can be worth it. They also don't charge extra for bigger sizes. In Japan bigger sizes cost more too. There is also an Inspiration LA type of show in Japan and it just happened. Blackadder went there, maybe he can post pics when the site gets back to normal.

Yun_bw

New in Town
Tough question. I can't answer it without being biased in my opinion which is no help to you. Instead I will encourage you to try them on in person. It's worth the time if you are willing to make the trip.
View attachment 552043
S&S has RMC, try every RMC jacket they have, especially the new fit ones. They are wider in the shoulder and chest in the same tag size compared to the previous fits, but the hem stays the same I believe. The new fit Mobster I had had a taper, this will be the biggest difference between the new fit RMC and the DH or the FC.
View attachment 552046
For Johnson try on their Barneveld Remix and M200, both has wider and rouded shoulder. The difference is Barneveld is wider and M200 is slimmer.
View attachment 552047
View attachment 552048

If you are looking for Thedi I would wait until next spring when LA Inspiration happens. And try on all his jackets in his booth.

As for pricing, Japanese jackets are mostly ¥220k to ¥280k in Japan. The western dealers put about 600 dollars markup on top of that. But that is still less than a ticket to Japan. Also most Japanese jackets are pre-orders so even if you go there there might not be stock jackets for you to try on. This is the advantage of western dealers, comes at a cost but can be worth it. They also don't charge extra for bigger sizes. In Japan bigger sizes cost more too. There is also an Inspiration LA type of show in Japan and it just happened. Blackadder went there, maybe he can post pics when the site gets back to normal.
Thanks for the informative response. Will definitely try to make a trip to SF for Johnson or order from thedi if he comes in LA earlier than expected while I finalize the design.

Either way probably would have a better idea after my trip to Japan. Just thought it would be much cheaper to buy in Japan since I can get tax refund as tourist and even I have to preorder I can ship to a friend address in Japan.

Def looking forward grabbing my first leather jacket and coming here def helped a lot

cbez

One Too Many
yes, that fit is ideal for me. I think custom is probably the best route for me to go, currently been debating between Johnson Leather (have to make time to go to SF) or Thedi Leather (heard he will come to LA for a custom event)
keep in mind he is both buff AF, and wearing high rise pants, and he still looks a lil goofy.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
I plan to visit some stores in LA today, do you have any recommendations? All I found is self edge, snake oil provision, and the stronghold

Don’t think I try/want to reinvent the wheel just so far with my research haven’t found many that match my description except the possibility with aero.
Stronghold will have thedi’s soon! I recommend thedi. Theodoros is so fucking talented!

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
That’s what I thought when I saw his pictures on Instagram. The jacket, the outfit, the person all look fine, but when all of that combined, it’s a bit off-looking.
keep in mind he is both buff AF, and wearing high rise pants, and he still looks a lil goofy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner