Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Focus only on vintage?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The danger of the collector-researcher mentality (and there is one...I know from experience :rolleyes:) is that you lose sight of trends in a given era and begin to see it as just a collection of raw data. In an effort to be as faithful and accurate as possible, you often feel you should keep your impressions to yourself. In an effort not to get bored silly with your subspecialty, you tend to focus on anomalies.

This eventually causes you to present your findings as an undifferentiated data dump ("You can find just anything, from uncuffed to 8 inches. Also depends on[list of 22 other features, all clickable, starting with armholes]. Search the forum for more information.")

But there really were trends and typicals in each era, especially in an area as conservative by and large as men's clothing. If you intend for your info to be truly educational and not just for use by the already-educated, you need this kind of context.

It starts with asking the question, "What did I want to know most before I knew all this stuff?" Imagine the newbie's predicament. Unfortunately, this is where it ends with a lot of collector-types, because their collecting is all about them and the stuff. Nobody helped them, and they'll be damned if they're going to help anyone else.

Edward

Bartender
From my perspective as a newbie.... What I like about this place is that it is primarily focussed on classic / timeless 30s through 50s style rather than actual clothes from that period. to explain.... as I see it, there's two types of folks on here:

1] the folks who are interested in collecting and wearing genuinely vintage clothing

2] the folks who love vintage style but for whatever reason (sizing, fear of "ruining" a piece of history by regular wearing, or simply expense and/or rarity of items) prefer to buy modern reproductions or source affordable modern examples still made in a vintage style

I fall very much into the second group myself, though I am not averse to the odd vintage piece that I have found at a sensible price. I like that this place makes room for both. I also appreciate very much that there is room for appreciating that while historical accuracy is often desirable (e.g. re-enactors) there is also an openness to what I would term "vintage possible" - i.e. taking elements of classic style into something that could have been possible back in the day even if it wasn't the norm, and making them practical for everyday wear. I lean to the view that it is important not to let the idea of classic style become something that is solely regarded as entirely-period-correct items for period events - certainly those have their place and I would never put them down, but if it becomes too focussed on "dressing like it's 1938", for example, or being historically accurate (civilian 30s or 40s dress teamed with an A2, which as I understand it was unlikely for anyone non-USAF), there is a danger that our classic style becomes only period costume, rather than something that can be worn everyday, or as regularly as is desired.

Gah, it's been a lnog day and my brain is turning to mush, but I hope something makes sense in there....

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Never forget your roots.

This started off as primarily a hat forum, an offshoot of Club Obi Wan over at IndyGear, with some trimmings(you need a good suit to go with that lid!) along with it. The focus for a long time was the hats, and this was - and for the most part still is - just about the best place on the web for finding information on fedoras and associated headwear.

The rest followed along. After the Retro Radar partnership and the resulting member boom, the focus shifted from hats and vintage clothing to 'retro' culture. It then moved to retro/vintage culture and vintage-based style, especially with the advent of the magazine.

I'm a stickler for the real thing. I'd love for a woolen mill to fire up and start producing copious amounts of fabrics in the same quality and fashions of the first half of the 20th century, and for tailors start making a comeback and learn how to cut and detail a suit properly. Until that happens, I'm chasing after vintage for the most part. It's inexpensive for what you get, and modern stuff comes close but just never nails it dead on.

I'll buy modern stuff, but it's always a compromise in some regard.

mister7

Familiar Face
One problem with saying only vintage is what you define as vintage. I mean, even the 70s was almost 4 decades ago. That is older than many of the posters here. Are 70s era leisure suits what you had in mind? I know they were recently featured in a thread by one of the most prolific posters, so why limit what people want to talk about? Style is what looks good on you, what you feel comfortable in, and that may not fit everyone elses definition.

Michael

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I think that the biggest problem -- and the most easily solveable -- on this corner of the Fedora Lounge is the lack of a permanent FAQ section with info and pictures of vintage/classic hats, clothes and accessories.

The stickies come and go ... and they're not nearly as user friendly as a webpage that would have all the info in one place. And we all know what happens to those nonsticky threads which do have valuable info and pictures ... they get buried under the weight of successive threads, making the original posts difficult (if not impossible) to retrieve.

Newbies come and ask the same questions we've heard for years, because they don't have a comprehensive "vintage/classic style" FAQ section to turn to. No one can blame the newbies for this.

What we (BK, HK, me, and many other vintage/classic aficionados, each with his/her speciality) really can and should create -- because we're the ones with the knowledge and interest to do so -- is an online clearinghouse of vintage/classic menswear information.

To get an idea of what we could have here on the Lounge, take a look at the following link: it's for a forum dedicated to absinthe. Check out the toolbar at the top of the link's page. Note how much permanent information is accessible from the toolbar: http://www.feeverte.net/

All of the above. As you have recognised Marc I have done my bit to create a little resource partly for fun and partly the old historian school teacher in me! But that info needs to be collated in a dedicated resource like you suggest Mark. Like our specs and vintage shoe pix.

Tumbleweed

New in Town
So many lead-on sentences. SO MANY!

Whilst I agree with your comparison of AAAC & SF to here, I wouldn't say the London Lounge is particularly active. I've seen threads sit on the first page for six months or more.

That said, I don't mind that this forum is much slower because the quality of the conversation is much higher. Threads are usually of interesting topics that are discussed with clarity and accuracy, unlike the constant josepidal-esque threads one might find on SF (which I'm sure gave manton impetus to write those series of satirical articles). People on this forum seem to be far more confident in their own opinions and choice of clothing. I'd much rather read a forum that has a long thread celebrating peak lapels than a forum that has a thread about someone getting a group consensus on a peak lapelled blazer before purchasing it.

Regarding the vintage thrust, I'm not entirely vintage orientated. I like the look and quality found in many vintage clothes but I don't limit myself to them. I see no problem in wearing fashionable clothes, as long as the reason you're wearing them isn't solely because they are fashionable.

Don't really like vintage ties though. They tend not to age gracefully.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While I am only interested in vintage, I think thing work around here pretty well. There are some guys who like modern with a classic vintage look, which would not be quite the same on a regular fashion forum, and there are guys who want a vintage look, but must do modern repro due to size or availability or specific rare style, and there are a few guys who just like a classic sense of style, but have found a home here and are welcome contributors.

Personally, I tend to glance and skip over most modern discussions. This is easy to do, kind of like beign at a party and only joining in certain conversations. But the more the merrier and also opens the door for occasional conversations you would not have otherwise.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Classic style

I came here for more of the classic styling than for vintage.
I love the look of the 30's and 40's. However as to living a full vintage lifestyle, NO will not live without A/C!

As to the other forums, they have their place. And I do visit them.
There is more depth here and I enjot that.

So stick to what you do best.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hello, I’m new to this place but, an old hand at vintage style.

My passion lies within vintage. I have collected vintage for many good years. To me, it’s a true connection to the past, to put on clothes that belonged to a period of hard times, good times, war and peace, to have that connection to history, no reproduction can compare to it.

To take a walk down the street in an old suit, hat, shoes, tie and such, and know that those clothes are not made any longer; it puts a smile on my face. Especially when some wealthy man comments on my suit as to being a very fine garment and inquiring where I purchased it… to see their face and the disappointment written on it after discovering that garment was made before they were born is a satisfaction and testimony to the true craftsmanship and quality of garment making in the 20’s to the 50’s.

I would be happy to buy a suit made custom if, the fabric can be had that they used to use, and if there are tailors who know the craft of making suits that fit like they did and a close attention to details. I am yet to discover a repro garment that compares on each and every level of detail and quality; that original pieces posses.

Until I see a truly remarkable recreation, one that has the correct fit, cut, feel and look as an original, I’ll stick to vintage.

The unfortunate fact is, not everyone is capable of finding vintage in their sizes… and repro is the only way to go. I have no problem with people buying new that reflect the style of the 30’s and 40’s… I just hope that the people making such garments will learn the craft better so that those who desire vintage can have the next best thing… a suit that fits like an old suit, feels like an old suit, weighs the same as an old suit… and LOOKS LIKE ONE TOO!

Forgotten Man~

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Not only do we talk about vintage, we ask where the good looks from back then went and tell you who makes the clothes up to the old standars today. This isn't a vintage forum, it's a true style forum that doesn't put down the guy wearing the hat for the sake of wanting to look cool.

I'm with Matt the Hat. ;) Perhaps the classiest guy on the FL and a nifty dresser to boot. :eusa_clap

I found the Fedora Lounge because I bought the 1st issue of Classic Style magazine. Why? Because the cover caught my eye.

I stick around because there is always something to learn and a chance to make a contribution.

I like to think there's a place for everyone to coexist with civility and respect for others and their views/opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou