Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food you keep going back to, because it's just what you need right now

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Old-style (70s/80s) vegetarian recipes. Bulgar wheat with aubergines, 3-bean chilli, textured vegetable protein. Lentil stew.

I really don't know why this has stuck with me as ideal food. Maybe it's the starch...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Any sort of soup (with no red meat in it), pumpkin, chicken, mix vegetables.....

"Soup... it is austerity food, filled with comfort, nourishment ...and perhaps penitence."

I love soup, i always go back to soup.

Edit to show how i eat my chicken soup............ mmmmmmmmmm :D like that exactly :D
Caribbean20Chicken20Soup20Vegetable.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I have to say that cheese and whole wheat bread or rye bread is another favorite of mine! :D yummy comfort food, winter, summer, all year round! :D

M. Rick

New in Town
Cheap indian food. There's a takeaway curry place in a direct line between the arts building and my dorm, so on wednesdays, when I've been working straight through from 1.30 to 8, it's really convenient. I could get some other stuff, but there's nothing like a watery, mouth-charring tikka masala after a long day.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
colps said:
chunk of homemade bread!

Yum I make my own bread: whole wheat, olive oil and rosemary and cheese bread to name a few. Perfection is sitting in front of my fire place on a winter day with some bread and cheese. Together with this little plate I make: sliced mozzarella cheese tomato(sometimes sun dried), and fresh basil.

LordBest

Practically Family
Kedgeree.
Rice fried with turmeric, cayenne pepper, corander, cumin, garlic and chilli flakes, mixed with flaked smoked fish (or tinned tuna, if you prefer) with a shelled soft boiled egg halved on the top. Oh, and a handful of sultanas.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Pressure Cooker-

Now that's Raj-bastardised Indian comfort/lazy/emergency food.
Kicheree:
Normally a stodgy mix of rice and dal, with a few spices,
cooked in a few minutes in a pressure cooker.
Now where did the smoked haddock come from?

Everybody could benefit greatly from using a pressure cooker.
Especially Soup Nuts. Pressure cooker soup is the best, most tasiest.

I often cook up a pot of rice, by the absorption method and add fish and peas
in the last minutes. Add a splash of soy and a good dose of pepper to a plate
of this stuff and Bob's yer aunty.
I sometimes enjoy a big plate of homogenous food, that I can shovel down.
Sumo food.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
On a roll...

Creeping Past said:
Old-style (70s/80s) vegetarian recipes. Bulgar wheat with aubergines, 3-bean chilli, textured vegetable protein. Lentil stew.

I really don't know why this has stuck with me as ideal food. Maybe it's the starch...

You're not going to get a straight answer in this thread-

Have you tried making a "lentil loaf"?

On Saturday night, we had 6, or 7 home-cooked, vegetarian
Punjabi dishes- home made naan, too.
Then we had dessert.(not on a roll)
It was Divali.

I'll keep coming back.

HadleyH said:
Any sort of soup (with no red meat in it), pumpkin, chicken, mix vegetables.....
"Soup... it is austerity food, filled with comfort, nourishment ...and perhaps penitence."
I love soup, i always go back to soup.

Would you call yourself a Soup Nut?

B
T

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
Kedgeree.
Rice fried with turmeric, cayenne pepper, corander, cumin, garlic and chilli flakes, mixed with flaked smoked fish (or tinned tuna, if you prefer) with a shelled soft boiled egg halved on the top. Oh, and a handful of sultanas.

Don't forget the parsley old boy!

I bloody love kedgeree, and it's simply one of the best hangover recuperation meals there is. Thankfully it seems to be experiencing a resurgence of sorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters