Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

dannyk

One Too Many
Definitely your colorway. That's a nice shade for a rough out. Too bad about how the last not being very well made, the shape of toe box look really nice.
im most likely getting a waxed rough out sometime this year dedicated for outdoors use
That’s what I’m doing as I said with my new army service boots. Just going to wax/dub the hell out of them myself. I’m also interested in Truman’s oil tan rough out. It’s not waxed, it’s kind of like if you had a super oiled and waxed impregnated leather but then turned it inside out. So kind of like regular cxl rough out haha-just really oiled up and from Seidel; and they say it’s about a 7oz leather that’s built to take a beating. And actually it’s one of their cheaper offerings.

Mich486

One Too Many
What size are you, I could use some engineers...haha

Whoops I missed this! I’m a UK8/EU42/US9 normally. I’ve a pair of Attractions, one of Clinch and one of Trophy Clothing engineers (same a s Attractions) that I could part with (though the TC would fit a UK8.5 if not 9). I’m not in a rush to sell but if of any interest to anyone we can discuss. UK based.

dannyk

One Too Many
Whoops I missed this! I’m a UK8/EU42/US9 normally. I’ve a pair of Attractions, one of Clinch and one of Trophy Clothing engineers (same a s Attractions) that I could part with (though the TC would fit a UK8.5 if not 9). I’m not in a rush to sell but if of any interest to anyone we can discuss. UK based.
Ah I’m US but would be willing to negotiate shipping charges. The issue is you’re borderline my size. Depending on last and construction I’m anywhere from 7.5 in big lasts like Irong Rangers and 9 if slimmer less round lasts. Or even 9-9.5 in some sneaker brands. Your engineers are really great engineers so they wouldn’t be cheap flips if they don’t work out. I could always sell them for what I paid and then just lose out on shipping. I’ll have to think about that. In any case I would still love to see photos of them just in general. I’m sure you’ve dropped some here and there in this thread, but a photo of the ones you mentioned side by side would be a really cool pic. I’d love to see them side by side to get an idea of the different makers styles. Thanks!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That’s what I’m doing as I said with my new army service boots. Just going to wax/dub the hell out of them myself. I’m also interested in Truman’s oil tan rough out. It’s not waxed, it’s kind of like if you had a super oiled and waxed impregnated leather but then turned it inside out. So kind of like regular cxl rough out haha-just really oiled up and from Seidel; and they say it’s about a 7oz leather that’s built to take a beating. And actually it’s one of their cheaper offerings.

That's a great score, plus the fact you can wax your own boot is a fun little project. I haven't seen that new Truman leather offering, I'll look them up. I doubt that 7oz'er will ever be tested that much for what I normally do lol

Good luck with the engineer venture! Hope you get something that will work out, if it's too big maybe a little insert could not hurt.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
My best fitting boot to date with what seems to be the shoe last that works best for me and lucky to have it in my favorite black leather in the Maryam black horse butt.
It's not the most beautifully stitched boot ever but Truman pride themselves in rugged work boots that can withstand rigors and abuse of daily wear and work.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Next pair of boots is my pair of Carmina suede Chelsea boots.

Carmina makes a pretty great boot for the money in my experience, though I have seen some articles exposing some mediocre interior components. Mine were bought for less than $350 back when you could take advantage of European pricing without tax better. At that price, these are a steal and I am really happy to have them in my collection. They are much more formal than anything else that I own, but they are what a Chelsea boot should be. I personally despise the trend of chunky, “rugged” Chelsea boots being made right now. If you want a rugged laceless boot, there are plenty of boots that already fit that bill. Engineers, cowboy boots, and pecos/pull on boots are much better than trying to make Chelsea boots something they are not. These Carminas are beautifully designed, especially for the price. The Rain last is absolutely gorgeous and rivals the lasts of brands that are far more expensive than Carmina even if the rest of the boot isn’t at the level of a $1,000 boot. They are made in Spain by a Spanish company btw. Now outsourcing here.

The rich cognac color of this suede is also gorgeous and helps keep them a little more casual. I used to wear these to my old job a lot and I still did wear them to work once in a while until COVID forced me to work from home. They still get worn outside of work sometimes as well, but they’re definitely too formal and too slim for most of my outfits and trousers these days and I would never wear them with any of my jeans. They also are not comfortable at all. Being so slim and formal means that there is almost nothing between my feet and the floor, so these feel like walking on concrete all day. Still, they will likely stay in my collection for many years to come for when I need something sleeker like these. Also, I know some people argue over whether Carmina or Alden has better quality... it's Carmina by far.

XkbFh5G.jpg

CIaPZkQ.jpg

EG7SL5H.jpg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Also, I know some people argue over whether Carmina or Alden has better quality... it's Carmina by far.
Nice boots man.
I'm also on planning on getting a pair of Carmina shell boots (in whiskey colour). As I have never handled Carmina but I own 4 pairs of Aldens: what was the issue with your Alden's? In what context would you describe the quality of your Carmina better by far?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Nice boots man.
I'm also on planning on getting a pair of Carmina shell boots (in whiskey colour). As I have never handled Carmina but I own 4 pairs of Aldens: what was the issue with your Alden's? In what context would you describe the quality of your Carmina better by far?
I don't own any Aldens, but I've handled about 12 pairs. The finishing on the Carmina's is vastly superior. The leather is cut more cleanly, the stitching is tighter with less mistakes and less loose threads. Even the heels and edge finishing is cleaner and neater. I still like the way a lot of Aldens looks so I'll probably get a pair sometime, but in terms of construction, Carmina is definitely ahead in my experience.

One specific example is a pair of Aldens I handles had stitching on the area where the quarter meets the vamp, the stitching is pressed much too hard into the leather. None of my Carminas ever had that issue. I'm not saying this will all be true in every case, but Alden does not seem to have great QC. This is something that I have talked about with other people and that seems to be pretty well agreed upon. Carmina is not perfect of course. They seem to be strong for the money, but they aren't at the level of a lot of my other boots either, but they seem to be overall a better bet than Alden.

This picture demonstrates a bit of what I'm talking about:
93g9Msz.jpg

Stitching pressed too hard into the leather, leather folded up at the edge, and just generally poor finishing on the edge of the upper.

Another perfect example! I was just swiping through my Instagram feed and saw this:
lMUdV8j.jpg

There's a stitch hole punched at the top right that the stitching just skips. It's either that, or they turned too fast and restarted the stitch line again. Either way, it's a pretty obvious error.

The stitching at the corner where the upper/quarter meets the vamp is again quite wonky as you can clearly see. The end corner is also lifted up in that area as well. That many errors in just one photo is seriously poor from Alden.

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I don't own any Aldens, but I've handled about 12 pairs. The finishing on the Carmina's is vastly superior. The leather is cut more cleanly, the stitching is tighter with less mistakes and less loose threads. Even the heels and edge finishing is cleaner and neater. I still like the way a lot of Aldens looks so I'll probably get a pair sometime, but in terms of construction, Carmina is definitely ahead in my experience.

One specific example is a pair of Aldens I handles had stitching on the area where the quarter meets the vamp, the stitching is pressed much too hard into the leather. None of my Carminas ever had that issue. I'm not saying this will all be true in every case, but Alden does not seem to have great QC. This is something that I have talked about with other people and that seems to be pretty well agreed upon. Carmina is not perfect of course. They seem to be strong for the money, but they aren't at the level of a lot of my other boots either, but they seem to be overall a better bet than Alden.

This picture demonstrates a bit of what I'm talking about:
93g9Msz.jpg

Stitching pressed too hard into the leather, leather folded up at the edge, and just generally poor finishing on the edge of the upper.

Another perfect example! I was just swiping through my Instagram feed and saw this:
lMUdV8j.jpg

There's a stitch hole punched at the top right that the stitching just skips. It's either that, or they turned too fast and restarted the stitch line again. Either way, it's a pretty obvious error.

The stitching at the corner where the upper/quarter meets the vamp is again quite wonky as you can clearly see. The end corner is also lifted up in that area as well. That many errors in just one photo is seriously poor from Alden.
Yes I know what you mean, I also find the QC of Alden not corresponding to the prices they ask.
Thanks!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yes I know what you mean, I also find the QC of Alden not corresponding to the prices they ask.
Thanks!
It's a shame because I really like the way a lot of their boots and shoes look. I think they do casual derbies really well. I still plan on getting a pair eventually, but the QC has kept me from doing it sooner.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
It's a shame because I really like the way a lot of their boots and shoes look. I think they do casual derbies really well. I still plan on getting a pair eventually, but the QC has kept me from doing it sooner.
I love all my pairs of Alden. Really love their style and design. Casual, yet formal. When needed to dress up really formal I usually go to my C&J handgrades.
I have never worn a plain derby shoe but if I was for the style I think I'd go with the Alden no.8 shell.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I love all my pairs of Alden. Really love their style and design. Casual, yet formal. When needed to dress up really formal I usually go to my C&J handgrades.
I have never worn a plain derby shoe but if I was for the style I think I'd go with the Alden no.8 shell.

I'm partial to their longwings. My friend has a pair that I think look great with a natural edge finish.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Next pair of boots is my pair of Carmina suede Chelsea boots.

Carmina makes a pretty great boot for the money in my experience, though I have seen some articles exposing some mediocre interior components. Mine were bought for less than $350 back when you could take advantage of European pricing without tax better. At that price, these are a steal and I am really happy to have them in my collection. They are much more formal than anything else that I own, but they are what a Chelsea boot should be. I personally despise the trend of chunky, “rugged” Chelsea boots being made right now. If you want a rugged laceless boot, there are plenty of boots that already fit that bill. Engineers, cowboy boots, and pecos/pull on boots are much better than trying to make Chelsea boots something they are not. These Carminas are beautifully designed, especially for the price. The Rain last is absolutely gorgeous and rivals the lasts of brands that are far more expensive than Carmina even if the rest of the boot isn’t at the level of a $1,000 boot. They are made in Spain by a Spanish company btw. Now outsourcing here.

The rich cognac color of this suede is also gorgeous and helps keep them a little more casual. I used to wear these to my old job a lot and I still did wear them to work once in a while until COVID forced me to work from home. They still get worn outside of work sometimes as well, but they’re definitely too formal and too slim for most of my outfits and trousers these days and I would never wear them with any of my jeans. They also are not comfortable at all. Being so slim and formal means that there is almost nothing between my feet and the floor, so these feel like walking on concrete all day. Still, they will likely stay in my collection for many years to come for when I need something sleeker like these. Also, I know some people argue over whether Carmina or Alden has better quality... it's Carmina by far.

XkbFh5G.jpg

CIaPZkQ.jpg

EG7SL5H.jpg
Lovely Chelseas. I co-sign everything you write except the opinion that Carmina quality is far superior to Alden’s. Having owned multiple pairs from both, I feel they are similar in quality and only distinguished by their aesthetics (setting aside price and origin). Carminas were a steal 5 years ago but they’ve been creeping up in price and aren’t as much of a bang-for-your-buck as they used to be. Both brands are excellent and have a fantastic selection of models to choose from. Having wide feet, I especially like Alden’s barrie and trubalance lasts.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Lovely Chelseas. I co-sign everything you write except the opinion that Carmina quality is far superior to Alden’s. Having owned multiple pairs from both, I feel they are similar in quality and only distinguished by their aesthetics (setting aside price and origin). Carminas were a steal 5 years ago but they’ve been creeping up in price and aren’t as much of a bang-for-your-buck as they used to be. Both brands are excellent and have a fantastic selection of models to choose from. Having wide feet, I especially like Alden’s barrie and trubalance lasts.

Well, you will notice that I said that I have read articles about Carmina having inferior interior components and that I also said that I did say that I bought these for much less than they go for now and that they were a better deal back then. I also said that in terms of finishing, these are much better than Aldens... so I think we're probably pretty close to being on the same page.

I did say that I was going in reverse order of my collection of boots. Carmina ranks 13th out of my 18 pairs of boots, so they're not that high. I'm not trying to say they're perfect or anything because they're not.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Well, you will notice that I said that I have read articles about Carmina having inferior interior components and that I also said that I did say that I bought these for much less than they go for now and that they were a better deal back then. I also said that in terms of finishing, these are much better than Aldens... so I think we're probably pretty close to being on the same page.

I did say that I was going in reverse order of my collection of boots. Carmina ranks 13th out of my 18 pairs of boots, so they're not that high. I'm not trying to say they're perfect or anything because they're not.
I’m just providing a counterpoint and counter-perspective. All the Alden’s and carminas I’ve owned have had minor imperfections but I think they are comparable given the price point (but I have a higher tolerance for that). I also like them for different purposes (carminas for sleeker loafers and oxfords, Alden’s for boots and preppy low-vamp loafers).

Fonzie

One Too Many

18 only? I don’t know why I thought you might have way more than that being the seasoned aficionado that you are! ;)
Lovely collection though, I’m truly jealous. :rolleyes:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I’m just providing a counterpoint and counter-perspective. All the Alden’s and carminas I’ve owned have had minor imperfections but I think they are comparable given the price point (but I have a higher tolerance for that). I also like them for different purposes (carminas for sleeker loafers and oxfords, Alden’s for boots and preppy low-vamp loafers).

Oh yeah that's totally fair. I'm just counter-pointing your counter point haha :D I do agree that they both have different strong points in terms of designs. Carmina definitely goes sleeker and Alden does casual better IMO.

18 only? I don’t know why I thought you might have way more than that being the seasoned aficionado that you are! ;)
Lovely collection though, I’m truly jealous. :rolleyes:

Haha well I think part of it is that I usually only have one pair from each brand so I have experience with a high number of makers/brands overall. With that said, I have 4 pairs in the works so I will soon be up to 22 haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy